IGNORED

No More Fatass In 2011

ControlJunkie
Note: This thread is 4774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got a little challenge for those of you out there wanting to drop some pounds, which really can only help your game. I'm a big fan of the Public Humiliation approach . Check out Drew's post at Deadspin. Yeah, it's pretty freakin funny, but it's just as true as it is funny. So just like we have an entire thread dedicated to your 2011 golf goals , I thought one might be in order for fitness goals as well.

Part of any successful plan includes both defining your goals and tracking your progress towards those goals. If you read Drew's Public Humiliation Diet How-to, you'll know that he mentions that he tweets his weight every morning. I think I'm going to do the same thing, though I figured I'd extend an open invitation to any of you that want to join along. If anything, by carrying around less baggage, you'll have more energy in the closing holes of each round. Maybe we can even get a little TST competition going. I don't know what the winner would get, but that's part of what this thread is for. If you're interested, hit that little reply button down there and let me know.

The diet isn't the only important part to us though. While a reduction in "excess midsection" will free up your swing and automatically increase flexibility and agility, if you're serious about your game, losing weight just isn't enough. There's a number of good stretches and exercises already listed in this sub-forum, but feel free to tag it on to this thread as well.

Don't be shy. Remember, support for something like this can go a very long way to helping all participants reach their goals and ultimately achieve an overall better game.

P.S. Here's a little help from Ron - http://www.metro.us/newyork/blog/post/735597

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll break the ice? I don't really have any specific goals, but I would like to lose some weight. I am a pretty active person (I try to always spend some time every day doing something, even if it's just a several mile walk), but I tend to eat. Not necessarily terrible stuff, just more than I should. So, yeah. If and when I do make goals, I'll post 'em here. But for now I have a stomach bug and feel like absolute shit, so I'm not eating anything at all. Losing weight the painful way I guess....

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, Ron nailed it in that link. Controlling portion size is tough, but once you get used to it, it does feel right.

I know this one is probably pretty boring, but drink a lot of water throughout the day, especially as you approach meal time. You'll fill up much quicker.

Also, another thing that I've personally tried to hammer into my dad (who finishes a meal in like 7 seconds flat) is to make a conscious effort to eat slower. There's a delay between the time you're actually full and the time your brain tells you you shouldn't eat anymore. Not sure the anorexia route you mentioned is gonna be best for you though :-)

-  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Quote:

... But for now I have a stomach big... so I'm not eating anything at all. Losing weight the painful way I guess....

Avoid the "eat nothing" tactic. If you suddenly have a big drop in all nutrition, this could trigger a "starvation prevention" reaction in your body which will really slow down your metabolism. Thus, it can prevent efficient weight loss.

Since you have a shot at playing college golf, you might combine a power/conditioning program with better nutrition. One thing that hurts people is the timing of their meals. Some people don't pace their meals very well, and end up hungry about 9 p.m. and do a lot of their eating well after sundown. Then, they sleep on a full stomach, which means more of the food will transfer to fat. Two of my graduate students had serious health problems related to this - they landed in the hospital - and meal timing was part of the solution.

General rule is that you can have a solid breakfast, because you are a little short of nurtition after a night's sleep, and will burn this food more quickly as you start your day's routine. Also, if you can have a lighter supper in the evening, it means you're less likely to sleep on a full stomach.

Also, make sure you drink enough water. Enough water prevents dehydration, and it also enables more efficient digestion of food. Sometimes, drinking 8 oz. of water will stave off the urge to eat an extra snack.

So much for the general advice. Find a trainer that's savvy on nutrition, and make up your game plan.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

There's a great book that Tim Ferriss just released "The 4 Hour body." Read that book and follow the guidelines and you'll lose the weight. None of that calorie counting shit.

Originally Posted by Easy

There's a great book that Tim Ferriss just released "The 4 Hour body." Read that book and follow the guidelines and you'll lose the weight. None of that calorie counting shit.

I was just looking at that book today and could only wonder how he claims you can lose 30 pounds in 30 days without exercise, "enjoy 15 minute orgasms" and thrive on just two hours of sleep a day. A bit extreme. Can you give us a little synopsis?

I've had my best success on Atkins but it's no sustainable, no matter how many times I've tried. Thanks for posting a link to my blog above. I have a feeling it's going to be an eye-opening month. Just two days in, it's amazing how seeing what I SHOULD be eating is so far off from what I HAVE been eating.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

My ultimate goal is to be near 190, but by the start of golf league i want to be at 215.

Yea, portion size is tough, if you want to trick yourself go buy smaller plates. They found people ate less when there food was presented on smaller plates because it makes it look like your eating alot.

Stop eating fast food, to many calories, not filling..

No liquid calories

I cook every day, which has helped me, becuase then i have ultimate control. I find the best cooking medium for me is baking. You need little oils/fats to bake and you just let it go, very easy stuff.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

The simple math is this: burn more calories than you eat and you'll lose weight. Before you try any bizarre diets or anything goofy, remember that at least.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

The simple math is this: burn more calories than you eat and you'll lose weight. Before you try any bizarre diets or anything goofy, remember that at least.

To add to this, also make sure the calories you do take in aren't empty garbage calories (i.e., chips, cookies, soft drinks, etc.). Think of it like your score in a way, just like your goal is par (71/72), and each wasted shot cant be taken back, think the same way about your calorie intake. While depending on height and body type, your target is gonna range from 1900 up to 2400 or so. Counting calories does really suck, but once you get into a routine, you'll get used to how much/what types of food equals x number of calories. You'll know when you've hit your limit for the day, and strive to not go over that limit.

-  -  - 

• Administrator

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

To add to this, also make sure the calories you do take in aren't empty garbage calories (i.e., chips, cookies, soft drinks, etc.). Think of it like your score in a way, just like your goal is par (71/72), and each wasted shot cant be taken back, think the same way about your calorie intake. While depending on height and body type, your target is gonna range from 1900 up to 2400 or so. Counting calories does really suck, but once you get into a routine, you'll get used to how much/what types of food equals x number of calories. You'll know when you've hit your limit for the day, and strive to not go over that limit.

Agreed.

My main point in sharing that basic math is to point out that you don't have to change your diet (if you exercise more) or you don't have to exercise (if you change your diet) to lose weight.

You simply have to change the equation so that you burn more calories than you take in on a daily basis.

And - here's where it sucks again for some people - the easiest way to do that is to do both: change your diet AND exercise more. Attack it from both sides, not just the one. Plus, people who exercise can (I believe) raise their BMR and often feel more energetic anyway.

P.S. I've never really been overweight - I tend not to each much during the day - but since switching to Coke Zero from regular Coke that's saved a few hundred calories per day. Every little bit helps. It's a funny joke to laugh at someone eating a Snickers and a Diet Coke for lunch, but at least they're not eating a Snickers and a regular Coke. As someone once told me, "why the hell would you ever want to drink your calories!?!?!"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

As someone once told me, "why the hell would you ever want to drink your calories!?!?!"

Bingo!  I got up to 225 pounds last summer, and I started feeling like garbage.  I went on a mission to lose 30 pounds, and in three months, it was accomplished.  Even after my diet, I've lost another five or six pounds.  As of this morning, I'm now at 189 pounds.  I have eaten better, and when the weather was warmer, my family walked a mile or two per day.  However, the biggest key to my diet was cutting out the sweet tea (I drink tea REALLY sweet) and soda.  I was amazed at the difference that made, and it's been pretty easy to keep things up since.  Eating better is nice, but the drinking part was HUGE for me.

Now I just have to stay in my routine and keep the pounds off.  So far, it's gone really well.

I have signed up for this "FATBOY" contest at work where you pay $25 to join. The contest is to lost 5% of your body weight in 9 weeks and then keep it off for another 3 weeks after that.  Every week you don't lose weight you owe an additional $3.  All the money is going to the local food bank.  Last year some guys lost 40 lbs.  Looking forward to losing some uneccessary poundage as I have noticed some of it piling on.  I currently weight 206, and I keep active during the offseason by playing basketball twice a week.  Gonna start doing the P90x program again...I started it before and was good for about a week and then lost my commitment.  Good Luck to everyone else in their journey.

For me it's an eating thing, so the comments about portion size and the proper foods is so key.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I agree that it really is basic math... and counting calories does suck but it works... In December 2009 I was 220 lbs, by mid March this last year I was down to 175; all by counting calories (which in essence makes you make better choices and control your portion sizes). I kind of messed up after that and got back up to 199 on the first, started counting again and six days in I'm at 192.

For me, and it others may do this differently, for this to really work I have to write down what I eat; it helps keep me in check.  Another thing that I do is I don't count fruit or vegetables as calories just for the simple fact that normally I don't eat a lot of those so it's a way to encourage me to eat more because if I'm hungry but don't want to waste some of my allotted calories for the day I have an apple or orange or something.

Also, it's worth pointing out that my first round after loosing the weight was also my best... I felt like I could finish stronger and I had less of me to swing around.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

Yeah, Ron nailed it in that link. Controlling portion size is tough, but once you get used to it, it does feel right.

I know this one is probably pretty boring, but drink a lot of water throughout the day, especially as you approach meal time. You'll fill up much quicker.

Also, another thing that I've personally tried to hammer into my dad (who finishes a meal in like 7 seconds flat) is to make a conscious effort to eat slower. There's a delay between the time you're actually full and the time your brain tells you you shouldn't eat anymore. Not sure the anorexia route you mentioned is gonna be best for you though :-)

I do tend to eat way way way to fast, so I should make an effort to slow down. Also, I meant to say "stomach bug" not "stomach big." It's weird forcing myself to eat at least half a meal because I feel terrible.

I don't really drink a lot of non-diet soda, but more water is a good idea. I used to make myself drink a 32 ounce bottle of water every morning (which sounds easy but that last bite can be hell if you aren't thirsty), which I should start again.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

As someone once told me, "why the hell would you ever want to drink your calories!?!?!"

Because it tastes so good when it touches your lips! [img]http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en_fuego/files/2010/04/Frank-the-Tank.jpg[/img] Semi-seriously, I've lost about 12 pounds since moving out of the US for a spell in June. I don't consciously do anything differently, but there just isn't as much junk food on offer, portion sizes at restaurants are far smaller and people generally aren't snacking all the time -- so I'm not tempted to. Either that or the fact that I've roughly halved my beer consumption and doubled my wine consumption to ride the local price/quality curve. Oops, back to the liquid calories...

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

For me the combination as Eric posted is the only thing that helps.  I consistenly work out in the early am before work.  One plus is that I recover soon enough that late afternoon practice or play in the summer is not a strain, plus it takes less time for my middle aged body to warm up and play. I am 35 lbs lighter right now than last year at this time, utlimately want another 12-15 gone.  Probably the other key for me living in cubicle land is planning.  I bring my lunch, snacks etc. I use a big bag, I look like nerd training to become a street person, but it works.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

@Stretch

You beat me to it! :-) It was either that one or Homer Simpson saying "Because beer is good."

Originally Posted by allin

For me the combination as Eric posted is the only thing that helps.  I consistenly work out in the early am before work.  One plus is that I recover soon enough that late afternoon practice or play in the summer is not a strain, plus it takes less time for my middle aged body to warm up and play. I am 35 lbs lighter right now than last year at this time, utlimately want another 12-15 gone.  Probably the other key for me living in cubicle land is planning.  I bring my lunch, snacks etc. I use a big bag, I look like nerd training to become a street person, but it works.

Man, you're bringing back memories of college. Back then, first thing in the morning (before breakfast) was 45-50 minutes of intense cardio, either on the bike, elliptical, track, or treadmill. Or a mixture everyday to keep it fresh. Anyway, after that it was back home to load up on breakfast that was something like 650-800 calories with 70 or so grams of protein and a good mix of carbs. Then class and lunch and whatever else. In the afternoon, I'd lift heavy for an hour - hour and fifteen or so. Then very high protein smoothie after that. Three or four nights a week were intramural sports also. By the end of the day, I'd take in right around 1900 calories and 1.25 grams of protien per pound of body weight.

I kept this up for a year or so. After the first three or four months, I dropped 40 or so lbs. Went from 230 to 195-ish. Then I ended up adding a pound or so every few weeks (in muscle).

Now, like you, I'm in the cube world, and I gotta start planning better. I also have to start getting up earlier to get back in a mode like you. It kinda sucks, I have a 30-45 minute drive to work, so that just pushes the time I have to wake up even further back. I know if I could get up a good 45 minutes earlier, I could get some quality cardio in. I just love the bed so much Anyone got a suggestion on something to effectively get me out of bed in the morning?? I've got three different alarms set right now, my alarm clock, my cell, and my TV. They wake me up, and I turn them off and sleep for a little longer. Like, I'd pay one of you to stand at my bed and throw a bucket of water on me every morning. I wish I was joking there.

I also need something that's going to kick me in the ass around the time I'm leaving work so that I'll want to go lift. Anyone got any ideas on that one too??

-  -  - 

I've always been a big guy topping out at 298 this time last year. Two friends and I made a pact to do a team short course triathlon and somehow I got the 5k run. Long story short is that we completed the race this past August and today I am somewhere around 260. It was a combo of eating better and excercise that did the trick. I am looking into doing duathlons this year and my friennds and I will once again attemp a team triathlon. As an aside, having an obligation to my friends may have been the biggest help. Having people counting on you to be in shape enough to get your fat ass over a 5k course was plenty of motivation. It did a lot for my golf as the second half of the season I made way more gains in my self taught S&T; journey. Took the holidays off for the most part but starting this past Monday I was right back at it. Good luck to all. I am 41 with two young daughters and with theirs and my wifes incredible support (she may read this you know) I feel better than I have in years. Good luck to anyone starting their fitness journey!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Note: This thread is 4774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!