IGNORED

What the heck?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 4836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXjammer

All the rude encounters I've had in the last couple of years were from older men.  One was my fault (I really asked for it),   the others were just senseless.

I play a lot of golf with my dad (60 yrs old).  He doesn't have much patience with me or anyone.  I've come to accept this is just common among the elders of the game now. The quicker you accept it, the more tactful you'll be about playing around them.  Cranky old farts anyway!  LOL   {{{{ ATTENTION!!!! }}}}  That last comment was JUST A JOKE!  PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT!

Based on the older gentlemen I've played with, they're typically much much more close to "going off" than someone half their age. They're quick to point out the error in the ways others and are extremely judgemental and  . . .  er . . . umm.

I agree and I don't get why. I play with my father in law sometimes in the retirement community he lives in and some of those guys are just mean. Yelling at people to hurry up, complaining because somebody ahead of them hit into the woods, even berating the staff for some reason or another. Hey buddy! You're retired, lighten up a bit.

Maybe they're late for something or are afraid to stop moving. Daddy, why is that man in the black cloak carrying a scythe, and following that cranky old man around the course?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

First, I actually did apologize to the guy, right before he started dropping f-bombs at me. Second, get the facts straight before you call me an ass.

To answer some other questions, the head pro was standing right next to me when this idiot went off, he is a friend of mine

...(later)........

Wasn't playing with the head pro, he just happened to be there. The other two guys I was playing with told me to hit as well they had already hit and thought it was safe.

I dunno. All of these new facts  come out kind of late. Not saying I don't believe you, but If this were  TV court, I think Judge Judy would have awarded the ball to the old geezer after post #1. And given the new testimony,  the Head Pro gets sentenced to 10 laps around the course for not cooling things down. That's part of his job.

As we say .."What the heck". I wish it was warm enough here to go play some golf.

I have a similar story. Last summer I was playing with two of my buddies. When we teed off we didn't have anyone, or see anyone, in front of us for the first seven holes. Of course we thought we recieved some lucky tee time and were going to get at least 9 clear holes in. Anyway, we are standing on the box for the eighth hole and it is a completely blind tee shot. One of my friends, who has the ability at times to hit it a country mile if everything goes right, cranks one down the middle of the fairway, far outdriving me and my other friend (both of us pushed right and short).  As we drove up the hill and the rest of the fairway came into view, we found a group of older guys standing in the fairway, presumably waiting for the group in front of them to finish putting. We found the first two drives that were pushed right and looked all over the fairway and rough for the monter drive. As we're preparing to give up on it, stymied and frustrated, one of the older guys calls to us "Hey, are you looking for a ball?". We of course reply yes, we're looking for a Srixon. This guy looks back at us and says, "I'd check that drainage ditch over there". So we look into a wide concrete ditch, at least 20 yards shorter and further right than either of the balls me and my other friend hit, and find the Srixon. Sure enough, after this jerk gave us his "suggestion" on where the ball might be, he and his group hop in their carts and bolt for the green.

After we finished our last two holes we looked for these guys at the turn to air our grievances and they were nowhere to be found.

---------------------------------------------------
taylormade.gif R7 Limited 10.5*
taylormade.gif V Steel 15*
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual Hybrid 19*
taylormade.gif Burner 08 Hybrid 22*cleveland.gif CG4 4-PWvokey.gif 52*, SM 56*cameron.gif 35" Studio Select Newport 2

There is this course I play at that has the same problem. I don't understand it.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

You mean people who hit up on you and don't apologise?

First, I actually did apologize to the guy, right before he started dropping f-bombs at me. Second, get the facts straight before you call me an ass. Third, learn to spell.

You must find it very frustrating to read books written in English when they don't convert esses to zeds.  What would you make of a word like "behaviour" if you saw it? Think it was misspelt?

Anyway......

You didn't say that you apologised.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXjammer

All the rude encounters I've had in the last couple of years were from older men.  One was my fault (I really asked for it),   the others were just senseless.

I play a lot of golf with my dad (60 yrs old).  He doesn't have much patience with me or anyone.  I've come to accept this is just common among the elders of the game now. The quicker you accept it, the more tactful you'll be about playing around them.  Cranky old farts anyway!  LOL   {{{{ ATTENTION!!!! }}}}  That last comment was JUST A JOKE!  PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT!

Based on the older gentlemen I've played with, they're typically much much more close to "going off" than someone half their age. They're quick to point out the error in the ways others and are extremely judgemental and  . . .  er . . . umm.

I agree and I don't get why. I play with my father in law sometimes in the retirement community he lives in and some of those guys are just mean. Yelling at people to hurry up, complaining because somebody ahead of them hit into the woods, even berating the staff for some reason or another. Hey buddy! You're retired, lighten up a bit.

Maybe they're late for something or are afraid to stop moving. Daddy, why is that man in the black cloak carrying a scythe, and following that cranky old man around the course?

Wow what a load that is!  I think when you assign characteristics (like mean, close to going off, grumpy, etc.) to a group of people that you don't know many of;  it is called a prejudice.  How about a little slack for your elders?  We have fought wars to protect our families and Nation (some of our friends died in the effort), we developed and built the technological base you see today, worked our entire lives to support the family and the country you now have and before the fellow with the cloak and scythe shows up we like to play golf and don't want to risk whatever life we have left doing so.  We, as a group, are not any more grumpy than you, but we have our fair share of Butt Ends of which I acknowledge but doubt that being a Butt End is exclusive to the aged.  But I've played with a lot of young men with my regular group of old guys and we have never had a problem or a complaint.

I think I said in the earlier post I thought the old guy was wrong and he was.  But remember the incident was started by a young man hitting into the group.  Just because it was an accident and NM Golf did apologize doesn't change the fact he endangered the old man and BTW when an old guy gets hurt it takes a lot longer to heal.  NM Golf was fortunate that no one was hurt. People have been sent to emergency rooms and some even killed with an errant golf shot so it isn't a minor mistake to hit into a group in front of you.   It wouldn't have taken a minute to ride or walk up the fairway to make sure it was clear since they couldn't see the second cart of the group they had been following.  The old man was angry and I think he had a right to be even if he vented it in a poor way. I personally would not have reacted the way he did, but I would have left no doubt in NM Golf's mind that I was unhappy with his hitting into the group.  I would  have tried to be polite about it, kept my language civil and not stolen his ball, but I surely would have expressed my anger.

Just a last note to the younger readers who seem to think we older people should as a group be put out on an ice flow in Alaska and as food for thought.  There is a headstone in Boot Hill (a cemetery) at Tombstone, AZ that reads something like this, "where you stand now so once did I and where I am now so shall you be".

Butch

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Wow what a load that is!  I think when you assign characteristics (like mean, close to going off, grumpy, etc.) to a group of people that you don't know many of;  it is called a prejudice.  How about a little slack for your elders?  We have fought wars to protect our families and Nation (some of our friends died in the effort), we developed and built the technological base you see today, worked our entire lives to support the family and the country you now have and before the fellow with the cloak and scythe shows up we like to play golf and don't want to risk whatever life we have left doing so.  We, as a group, are not any more grumpy than you, but we have our fair share of Butt Ends of which I acknowledge but doubt that being a Butt End is exclusive to the aged.  But I've played with a lot of young men with my regular group of old guys and we have never had a problem or a complaint.

I think I said in the earlier post I thought the old guy was wrong and he was.  But remember the incident was started by a young man hitting into the group.  Just because it was an accident and NM Golf did apologize doesn't change the fact he endangered the old man and BTW when an old guy gets hurt it takes a lot longer to heal.  NM Golf was fortunate that no one was hurt. People have been sent to emergency rooms and some even killed with an errant golf shot so it isn't a minor mistake to hit into a group in front of you.   It wouldn't have taken a minute to ride or walk up the fairway to make sure it was clear since they couldn't see the second cart of the group they had been following.  The old man was angry and I think he had a right to be even if he vented it in a poor way.  I personally would not have reacted the way he did, but I would have left no doubt in NM Golf's mind that I was unhappy with his hitting into the group.  I would  have tried to be polite about it, kept my language civil and not stolen his ball, but I surely would have expressed my anger.

Just a last note to the younger readers who seem to think we older people should as a group be put out on an ice flow in Alaska and as food for thought.  There is a headstone in Boot Hill (a cemetery) at Tombstone, AZ that reads something like this, "where you stand now so once did I and where I am now so shall you be".

Hey Gramps, I think you're sarcasm detector is broken or maybe there's a problemwith the power source. Durned dry cell batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I had an experience like this, but it was actually quite funny.  I am returning to golf after decades of non-play.  Needless to say my drives are not all that one might expect from a more seasoned player.

One day I teed up by myself at a nice course.  I was really just starting back.  My first drive shanked over into a group that was chipping in on the eighteenth.  It was that bad.

I immediately walked over and apologized, and I prepared to wait for them to play out before retrieving my ball.  They laughed it offf, but one of them pointed to the area where my ball landed and said, "You are right over there, and I think you have a good lie!"  My ball had sliced over behind a raised bunker that I could not see from the tee box.  When I got over, I found that the guy I had almost hit had kindly placed my ball on a tee!  I laughed through 18 on that one.

Originally Posted by jokerman0420

I had an experience like this, but it was actually quite funny.  I am returning to golf after decades of non-play.  Needless to say my drives are not all that one might expect from a more seasoned player.

One day I teed up by myself at a nice course.  I was really just starting back.  My first drive shanked over into a group that was chipping in on the eighteenth.  It was that bad.

I immediately walked over and apologized, and I prepared to wait for them to play out before retrieving my ball.  They laughed it offf, but one of them pointed to the area where my ball landed and said, "You are right over there, and I think you have a good lie!"  My ball had sliced over behind a raised bunker that I could not see from the tee box.  When I got over, I found that the guy I had almost hit had kindly placed my ball on a tee!  I laughed through 18 on that one.

lol...Why cant everyone be that kind.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

I think I said in the earlier post I thought the old guy was wrong and he was.  But remember the incident was started by a young man hitting into the group.  Just because it was an accident and NM Golf did apologize doesn't change the fact he endangered the old man and BTW when an old guy gets hurt it takes a lot longer to heal.  NM Golf was fortunate that no one was hurt. People have been sent to emergency rooms and some even killed with an errant golf shot so it isn't a minor mistake to hit into a group in front of you.   It wouldn't have taken a minute to ride or walk up the fairway to make sure it was clear since they couldn't see the second cart of the group they had been following.  The old man was angry and I think he had a right to be even if he vented it in a poor way.  I personally would not have reacted the way he did, but I would have left no doubt in NM Golf's mind that I was unhappy with his hitting into the group.  I would  have tried to be polite about it, kept my language civil and not stolen his ball, but I surely would have expressed my anger.

We were just joking.  But thanks for proving our point.   I was raised with and still have all the respect for my elders that a man can have, and it is THAT respect that makes a rude reaction from one of my elders all the more uncalled for.

Note: This thread is 4836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!