IGNORED

Golf Academy of America vs. Professional Golfers Career College?

WarrenG12
Note: This thread is 3314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by turtleback

I would agree about Ferris State.  My daughter was in their Professional Tennis Management program and it is a good program with a very high placement rate for people who want a career teaching tennis.  It used to also be a good program for people who want a career in the tennis industry but not necessarily teaching, but a change in Director pretty much killed that part of the program, Which was too bad, and led my daughter to transfer to Bowling Green's Sport Management program, which she just graduated from.  Which worked out great for me because she just interned at a Senior tournament and I got some nice perks out of it, including getting to go and see the event from a sky box right off the 18th green - THAT is a NICE way to see a golf tournament - great free food and open bar.

But she knew a lot of folks in the Ferris PGM program and there was a very high level of satisfaction with the program among the students she knew.  Plus, as with the PTM program, they get a real college degree in marketing so if the golf teaching thing doesn't work out thy still have a marketable degree.

I grew up with Ferris in my backyard, and I actually started golfing because a kid who worked for my family happened to be in the PGM program at FSU and shortened a set of clubs for me when I was 4.  It's a very solid program and is very well established.  I believe it's one of the first PGM programs ever created.  They have a great practice facility, the course is well maintained, although a bit mundane.  The school is sort of in the middle of nowhere, but isn't a bad campus.

That being said, I know a lot of people who have went through the program as well as many people who hire from the program.  In recent years (the last 5-10 years) hiring PGM kids to run/work at your course has become less and less favorable by many GC operators.  The reason?  Many of the kids who go through the program just want to play golf.  It's great that they love golf, but they need to understand that they need to work at the course first and foremost.  In fact the amount of time you'll have to play golf is limited.  Many of the GC owners/operators I know have started to fill more and more positions with someone with a business degree who also likes to golf.  According to them, these types tend to be better employees, and understand that golf comes second to work, just like any other occupation.  This is something that should be understood by anyone looking at pursuing a PGM degree whether at Ferris or any other college/university and I'm sure it's not something that is unique to Ferris.

I have done extensive research on the three major golf career colleges.

Interestingly enough the President/Owner/CEO of PGCC actually help start the then San Diego Golf Academy which is now Golf Academy of America. PGCC president wanted to change the business model to how he thought a golf career college should be run. Especially how much golf he felt should be played if that student wants to develop thier game to compete or teach or get scouted by colleges.

I have put together a comparison sheet of the three. see below.

I read the critique about PGCC about the wierd vibe and the wearing of suit. You can't please everyone.

The weird vibe maybe interpreted that way because PGCC has some very defined high standards in place like shaving everyday, showing up to class dressed like you would show up to work. Be early for everything. Shine your shoes. The sport coat and tie on Fridays is 'Dress for Success Day'. They want their students to understand that they may have to wear a sport coat and tie during their jobs in the golf industry as well as show up wearing a sport coat and tie for your interviews. It just sends a higher standard message. Additonally, if the young student has never worn a sport coat and tie this provides them that learning.

As far as the religious overtones, the school invites those students that are interested to attend a Christian fellowship evening where the school brings  a meal to feed the students and guest speakers to talk about life in the golf industry as well as share in their faith walk. GOLF = Game of Life First!

I recommend visiting all the schools you can to get a clearer picture and meet the staffs at each of the schools.

PGCC

Golf College 1

Golf College 2

Domestic Student Tuition & Fees: $7200 /semester

International Student

$7500

Domestic Student Tuition & Fees

$8,332

International Student

$8,684

Tuition Costs $7,092

Educational & Activity Fees

$1,792

Total Costs = $8,884

Book Costs approx. $150/semester

Books included

Books per semester approx. $150/semester

Classroom hours 8-12pm Mon-Fri

Classroom schedule will vary throughout the day

Classroom schedule will vary throughout the day

Play golf on over 38 different golf courses

Play golf on over  34 different  golf courses

Play golf on 20 different golf courses

Golf 72 holes/week

Golf 18-36 holes/week: class schedule dependant

Golf 18-36 holes/week; class schedule dependant

Golf Mon-Thursday starting at 1pm

Golf will vary; class schedule dependant

Golf will vary class; schedule dependant

Lessons starting 1 pm Mon-Fri

will vary; class schedule dependant

Range Time starting at 1pm Mon-Fri

Availability to work part time in the afternoon starting at 1pm

class schedule dependant

class schedule dependant

National Placement Rate 77.26%

Placement % Not advertised

Placement % Not advertised

Golf “ noon till dusk”

class schedule dependant

class schedule dependant

Instead of spending 2 years at the GAA that is not accredited by the PGA and having it do nothing to help your career with the pga. go to www.pgalinks.com complete your background check, pass your PAT, and get a job as an assistant golf professional, courses are always hiring and its not difficult to get on as an apprentice. GAA is a joke, and the PGM programs are incredibly long. Just work as an assistant pro and if you have hopes for running a golf course, take some accounting and economics classes at a JC. Best possible way to do it, I have passed my PAT, and within 2 weeks I found a job as an assistant pro and have just reached Level 1 after finishing my apprentice. I have done this in one year, you would be here in 3 best case scenario with GAA.

Originally Posted by voidofenigmas

Instead of spending 2 years at the GAA that is not accredited by the PGA and having it do nothing to help your career with the pga. go to www.pgalinks.com complete your background check, pass your PAT, and get a job as an assistant golf professional, courses are always hiring and its not difficult to get on as an apprentice. GAA is a joke, and the PGM programs are incredibly long. Just work as an assistant pro and if you have hopes for running a golf course, take some accounting and economics classes at a JC. Best possible way to do it, I have passed my PAT, and within 2 weeks I found a job as an assistant pro and have just reached Level 1 after finishing my apprentice. I have done this in one year, you would be here in 3 best case scenario with GAA.

Completely agree with this.  On this same line of thought, one thing I would not advise doing is jumping into this until you've passed your PAT.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Completely agree with this.  On this same line of thought, one thing I would not advise doing is jumping into this until you've passed your PAT.

Do not go into your PAT half cocked either, you are spending $200+ Make sure you have shot the score you need to multiple times, and consistently before taking the test. Its harder then it sounds to shoot what you have to. I shot 72 - 80 for a 76 average and barely made it under the average of 77.5 I was allowed.

Do not go into your PAT half cocked either, you are spending $200+ Make sure you have shot the score you need to multiple times, and consistently before taking the test. Its harder then it sounds to shoot what you have to. I shot 72 - 80 for a 76 average and barely made it under the average of 77.5 I was allowed.

PATs are a sad place at the end of the day.  Not many of the guys pass.  Alot of guys that have been trying for years, have given their life to the game, and need that PAT to keep their job.

I believe the pass rate is around 20% I remember when I took it 14 guys were taking it and only 2 of us passed, Luckily I peaked at some of the best golf of my life around the time I passed it.

I believe the pass rate is around 20% I remember when I took it 14 guys were taking it and only 2 of us passed, Luckily I peaked at some of the best golf of my life around the time I passed it.

I saw a ton of guys there that were either having the worst day of their lives, or had no business being there.  I also used to play at a club where the pro had taken it a few times and couldn't pass it.  I played golf with him pretty regularly and I don't think he had enough game for it.  He'd shoot high 70's, sometimes mid 70's on our course, but he didn't play other courses a lot and his game didn't travel well.

ya, I usually play 3-4 times a week each at a different course. Think that helped the PAT for me being able to read different types of greens.

That's the way to go.  Playing the same course all the time seems to make you better at playing that course, not necessarily a better golfer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is the real truth about GAA vs PGCC. I am a grad from PGCC and I can tell you that Professional Golfers Career College is way better than Golf Academy of American for several reasons. The number one reason is this, when you walk into PGCC your initial

feeling is, this is a real golf college. They have decorated the college with a golf atmosphere which includes the likes of the great Ben Hogan, Jack Nicholas, and more. When I was at PGCC in 2007 another senior and I posed as possible students and called GAA and made an appointment to see the college. When we went down it was like walking into an H&R; Block office with a bunch of cubicles to get your taxes done and the college was in a strip mall. I really don't think going to strip mall is to cool for any type of Academy. Anyway, we took there info back to PGCC and both colleges had just about the same classes offered. PGCC offered a couple of more classes that GAA didn't offer. As for wearing a suit jacket on Fridays, I think that is the integrity of golf we should showcase that integrity, and if you aren't willing to show once in awhile some class in the golf industry, then take up bowling. But you can decide where you would like to go but PGCC was the most professional, best attitudes, and atmosphere with integrity.

Golferspoons, current position, GM

• Upvote 1

I have 2 friends who went to PGCC.  Neither currently work in the golf industry.

Have a good idea of what you want to do before entering.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• Administrator
Ok, here is the real truth about GAA vs PGCC. I am a grad from PGCC and I can tell you that Professional Golfers Career College is way better than Golf Academy of American for several reasons. The number one reason is this, when you walk into PGCC your initial   feeling is, this is a real golf college. They have decorated the college with a golf atmosphere which includes the likes of the great Ben Hogan, Jack Nicholas, and more. When I was at PGCC in 2007 another senior and I posed as possible students and called GAA and made an appointment to see the college. When we went down it was like walking into an H&R; Block office with a bunch of cubicles to get your taxes done and the college was in a strip mall. I really don't think going to strip mall is to cool for any type of Academy. Anyway, we took there info back to PGCC and both colleges had just about the same classes offered. PGCC offered a couple of more classes that GAA didn't offer. As for wearing a suit jacket on Fridays, I think that is the integrity of golf we should showcase that integrity, and if you aren't willing to show once in awhile some class in the golf industry, then take up bowling. But you can decide where you would like to go but PGCC was the most professional, best attitudes, and atmosphere with integrity.

Wow, Jack Nicholas! I can see how pictures of him would make all the difference in the world.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

hey I have important question I graduated in the spring of this year and am I looking at golf academy of America and at PGCC. I've read so many reviews about both and how the golf academy just wants the money. I'm not looking to become a professional right now I just want the education for this business. Which college is the best and has the better program?

• 1 month later...
I am currently a student at the Pgcc in Hilton head sc. This is the worst experience I've ever been through, teachers are un educated in there field and don't care to help you. The administration is a joke they complain about students and talk poorly about them rather then be the leaders there supposed to be, I'm embarrassed to have spent the money I did and hope no one else pays the tuition considering it is all a lie and you don't get your money's worth. Bryan and Jim are two of the worst individuals I've ever met. They lie to get you in the door and then lie to you the whole time your in the program, do yourself a favor and start outside services and work your way up. Cause this school isn't worth the head ache.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am not Northshore but I saw your inquiry.  My brother just completed Keiser U. Golf in Port St. Lucie and had a wonderful experience there.  He felt the staff and instructors were first rate and the facilities first rate as well.  He feels he made the right choice for him.  And he was hired for a position he was hoping for.

Note: This thread is 3314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!