IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by PhillyMac

This subject has always been a hot topic on forums. The majority of people hate them, I use them. I don't like them but I use them to protect my AP1's, and I don't want them beat to crap. They get more abuse from club chatter than actually hitting balls with them. I used them with a set of TM 1.0's, and when I sold them I got top dollar for them because they were in excellent shape. IMO, its no different than using a headcover for your driver.

To answer your question, Club Glove makes a great one. Which is the one I bought. I believe they make them for all club sizes. Just check the back of the box to ensure they will fit your clubs. These fit great, and do not fall off. Takes a whole 2 seconds to put on.

To each their own.  I can certainly understand you wanting to protect your investment but I also feel that due to the fact that you are swinging them in the dirt, they are going to get beat up eventually no matter what you do.

IMO, woods and hybrids are very different because with them you have the very real concern of paint chipping, not to mention the annoying sound of them clinking together all the time.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

To each their own.  I can certainly understand you wanting to protect your investment but I also feel that due to the fact that you are swinging them in the dirt, they are going to get beat up eventually no matter what you do.

IMO, woods and hybrids are very different because with them you have the very real concern of paint chipping, not to mention the annoying sound of them clinking together all the time.

Dirt/grass against metal tends to cause less damage than metal banging against metal. Whats the difference between paint chipping on your woods/hybrids as compared to your irons banging together while you play? I had a set of forged Cleveland TA3's that looked beat to hell because of the bag chatter, it was a shame that the sole and club face was in better shape.

I totally undertsand why people don't use them, I would love to show off my new AP1's but I work to hard and spend way too much on the latest golf gear to damage them over bag chatter or unnessary wear and tear.  From what I have seen on golf forums, golfers are judge on alot things other than their, whether it be a high/mid-capper carrying a staff staff bag or playing blades or a golfer wearing all the flashy gear and not backing it up on the course by shooting low 70's.....etc.

Phillip

I think im just going to buy the neoprene ones on amazon, there about 15 clams. I used to have some plastic/rubber type ones for my Ping's that were great. come to think of it i don't know whatever happened to them... hmm. anyhow just want to protect them from unnecessary nicks and dings

:titleist: 913 D3 9.5* Diamana 72g X-flex neutral

:titleist: 913 FD 15* Diamana 82g X-flex neutral

:titleist: AP2 712 3-PW S-300

:vokey:51-08/ 55-11/ 59-08 equal length shaft

:cameron: Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by iacas

As iron head covers?

There are: http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/6260/refScid/1369/sattr0/Type/sattrVal0/irons .

Maybe you meant there are no such thing as attractive iron headcovers. :)

Be aware these come in two sizes, oversize for the larger GI irons and regular, which are more for traditional sized heads like the AP2.  I use the standard size black ones for my Mizuno MP68's but lose one about every month as they are just a tad to big.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

• 4 months later...

Solution for the anal: When buying a set of new irons, buy a duplicate set but don't use them. Then, when the set you are using becomes worn, you can always go home and look at your mint set. Since most of the dings and face damage come from the course, perhaps try playing without removing the head covers.

One reason not to use them: they look rediculous! Did you take the plastic off the grip on your new clubs or leave that on too? Do you wrap your couch in plastic? I get clubs to use them, not to have to worry about them getting dinged up. They're ugly, time-consuming, trap in dirtand moisture and nobody on any tour uses them. Save them time and money, and go buy a dozen ProV1s.

I use the Club Glove Gloveskins and they keep my forged irons in good condition; the money I have invested in the irons justifies it in my opinion.  I understand they're not for everybody but anybody who states they impact the speed of play or are time consuming is simply mistaken.  I remove the headcover from the club as I walk up on the ball, put it in my pocket during the shot and replace it back on the club as I walk back to the cart.  It's that simple.  You would be hard-pressed to show me how that slows down play.

Frankly I don't care if anybody on the tour uses them, it has no bearing on this debate; those guys have sponsors providing them clubs.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I've used them on every iron set i've owned in the last 15 years. I've had no rusting issues and as I walk whenever possible I don't see how the could cause anything beyond a second or two delay. I pretty much know what I want to hit as I approach the ball and pulling the cover to put in my pocket is part of my routine these days as I try to visualize the shot. It's a matter of a moment or two to slip the cover on after wiping the iron if needed and I usually do that as I'm pushing the cart. I've not been ousted for slow play yet.

I think it courteous to minimize the bag rattle for other players on the course. I know that when I carry rather than push cart it they can make a racket as well.

• Upvote 1

Why all the hate for iron covers? Why are wood covers apparently OK (yes I know that they protect the graphite shafts, but if you keep them above your irons that is not an issue)? Let others do as they please as long as it doesn't impinge upon you.

I have always used iron covers because I use forged, and I have never had a spot of rust on any of them. And, when I occasionally ride, the banging that the clubs go through is pretty harsh.

dak4n6

Why are so many fussy about whether tools you slam into the ground end up with a scratch or dent?

Cuz they're nuts? ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i was actually going to buy some before i checked my clubs for the first time, but i ended up just stuffing a towel in between them. i bought a white putter and i love it, but i actually own a similar putter with just a regular metal finish and i end up carrying that more (and every time i walk) because putting the cover on a putter you just three putted with seems silly and it's actually a pain to get it on right so it won't fall off getting jumbled around in the cart. i also lose it once every 5 rounds or so. the only thing i cover every time i use it is my hybrid because it bangs into the irons and the 3 wood. once i use them the cover stays off the driver and 3 wood.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

• Administrator

I still use my iron headcovers. They're a set I bought, nice dense thick foamy plastic I think, many years ago…

…and they work great when I pack my clubs for a flight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Ogio Chamber cart bag I use holds each club snug and eliminates the problem of clubs banging around in your bag.  You can actually turn the bag upside down and the clubs won't fall out, that's how snug they are held in each slot.  Until I switched to that bag I'd use iron head covers to transport my bag, then took them off when I got to the course.

Joe Paradiso

I use them because I am freaked out by the lamination on the i20's.  I had an issue before on a set of clubs that had a laminated surface.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Originally Posted by hacker100

Why are so many fussy about whether tools you slam into the ground end up with a scratch or dent?

Why do you care about what other people do if it doesn't affect you??

Why do you care about the looks of the tool you use to move yourself about and moves at high speeds getting dinged with rocks and coated with dirt, and why do you fix if it gets cosmetically banged up in and accident?

dak4n6

• 6 months later...
The Ogio Chamber cart bag I use holds each club snug and eliminates the problem of clubs banging around in your bag.  You can actually turn the bag upside down and the clubs won't fall out, that's how snug they are held in each slot.  Until I switched to that bag I'd use iron head covers to transport my bag, then took them off when I got to the course.

I heard about this bag and wondered if anyone here has it. The only other thing I worried about is if my ping anser 2 milled face putter with the jumbo ping grip would work with it?

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!