IGNORED

Best Tips You've Heard For Slicers?

Note: This thread is 4827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

To fix a slice, Fix the swing path.

A neutral or weaker grip will keep the clubface open, but thats not the whole picture. I truely found that a slice is caused by people who believe they should use there upper body more than there lower. When i was practicing my swing in the winter recently, very slow swings. I practice on bumping my left hip before or just as my golf swing reaches the top of the swing. Get that sense of proper transition. Well when i did that the club was pulled down closer to my body into the slot. When i use to swing were i would muscle the ball with my upper body, my shoulders got ahead, i wouldn't get my hips pushed forward enough and this made it impossible to get the club in the slot, and i would slice it.

So my tip, fix the swing path. Then fix the grip to fix the club head open or close.

saevel25 hit the nail on the head, starting the down swing with the hips will allow you to get your hands and arms swinging more on plane.

Agreed, starting the downswing with the hips really helps get the club properly on plane.

Make sure your alignment is correct, my slice occurs when I'm not squared up properly.  I'll have my legs pointing further left then the arms and club at address.  As a result my swing is forced outside to in.

If you line up with your right foot a couple inches behind the left it can help with a slice.

Originally Posted by evan01

Hey in the hole is that your sister?

It's Sara from Big Break !!

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by panthershock

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

To fix a slice, Fix the swing path.

A neutral or weaker grip will keep the clubface open, but thats not the whole picture. I truely found that a slice is caused by people who believe they should use there upper body more than there lower. When i was practicing my swing in the winter recently, very slow swings. I practice on bumping my left hip before or just as my golf swing reaches the top of the swing. Get that sense of proper transition. Well when i did that the club was pulled down closer to my body into the slot. When i use to swing were i would muscle the ball with my upper body, my shoulders got ahead, i wouldn't get my hips pushed forward enough and this made it impossible to get the club in the slot, and i would slice it.

So my tip, fix the swing path. Then fix the grip to fix the club head open or close.

saevel25 hit the nail on the head, starting the down swing with the hips will allow you to get your hands and arms swinging more on plane.

Agreed, starting the downswing with the hips really helps get the club properly on plane.

Make sure your alignment is correct, my slice occurs when I'm not squared up properly.  I'll have my legs pointing further left then the arms and club at address.  As a result my swing is forced outside to in.

If you line up with your right foot a couple inches behind the left it can help with a slice.

I have seen very few slicers who line up open to their target line. Almost universally, they all line up to the right and pull the ball back across the target line.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

True, but lining up square isn't all that true as well.. It varies from person to person.. But i would recommend lining up square to see what your swing truely is. I did that, and my swing turned to a straight pull, pull-draw to a pull slice. It through my hips out of wack.. But now i am slowly getting to a push, and push draw. But i used that square stance to work it back, so i know i have a base point to assess my swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My problem is an open clubface, not out-to-in swing.  So I just concentrate on releasing the club at impact.  Or I picture the toe of the club getting to the ball before the heel of the club.

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

Originally Posted by shortstop20

I have seen very few slicers who line up open to their target line. Almost universally, they all line up to the right and pull the ball back across the target line.

well we agree then that improper alignment can cause a slice.

I don't doubt most slicers do that, but I know that isn't the case for me.

\       |

\      |

\     |

the slashes are where my feet are lined up.  straight lines are where I'm aiming the club face

when I do this my down swing follows the angle of my feet, and cuts across the ball.

i used to be a big slicer due to coming over the top, now my ball is mostly straight or a tiny draw. and all i did was practice the jim furyk swing, maybe not as drastic but get the feeling of it. never took lessons been playing since summer 08 and it finally hit me watching hank haney : ray ramano to figure out i was taking it too inside on the backswing and coming over the top on the down. started doing the opposite taking outside on the backswing and it will drop in the slot on the downswing and you'll be on plane, reverse the loop.

of course you need to make sure your shoulders aren't turning back around before your hips fire so they can clear to drop the club in

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

Originally Posted by hkphooey00

My problem is an open clubface, not out-to-in swing.  So I just concentrate on releasing the club at impact.  Or I picture the toe of the club getting to the ball before the heel of the club.

On your typical shot, where does the ball start? Left or target, on target or right of target?

- Joel

First let me say thanks for all the tips. On my typical shot it normally starts at the target and then goes right. Which is why I can get away with starting it down

the left and play a Couples Fade. I should clarify that it is primarily my driver that is the issue. I have always been a relatively straight hitter with the irons.

I am sure it's an open face issue and not an out to in issue. Mainly because I have always attacked the left quadrant of the ball. Just looking for some

fresh ideas.

I was hoping to hear some others thoughts was the reason for the post.

Originally Posted by Bill Bowman

First let me say thanks for all the tips. On my typical shot it normally starts at the target and then goes right. Which is why I can get away with starting it down

the left and play a Couples Fade. I should clarify that it is primarily my driver that is the issue. I have always been a relatively straight hitter with the irons.

I am sure it's an open face issue and not an out to in issue. Mainly because I have always attacked the left quadrant of the ball. Just looking for some

fresh ideas.

I was hoping to hear some others thoughts was the reason for the post.

If the ball is starting at the target, your face is square to the target, because a large majority of the ball's initial direction is determined by the clubface, NOT the swing path. Then the ball starts fading/slicing to the right because the path is outside-in.

FTR, the "Couples Fade" is a push fade. It is hit with an inside-out path and a face that is open to the path. Unlike the fade that you are hitting.

You may think you are "attacking the left quadrant of the ball", but your described ball flight proves you are not.

- Joel

My pro gave me a drill to work on to fix my slice since he thought my timing was off on my downswing.  Grab your driver and pick a target only about 150 yards off.  Feet together take a nice easy back swing and do only half a back swing.  With about 50% of your power take your swing with the equivalent half way follow through.  Keep working on this small swing until you can consistently hit that 150 marker.  Once you feel comfortable with that, gradually start increasing your power and swing length.  Once you get good at that widen your stance and start progressing to your full normal swing.

Originally Posted by shortstop20

If the ball is starting at the target, your face is square to the target, because a large majority of the ball's initial direction is determined by the clubface, NOT the swing path. Then the ball starts fading/slicing to the right because the path is outside-in.

FTR, the "Couples Fade" is a push fade. It is hit with an inside-out path and a face that is open to the path. Unlike the fade that you are hitting.

You may think you are "attacking the left quadrant of the ball", but your described ball flight proves you are not.

Shot is correct here, the club path is out side to in with a square club face if the ball is starting straight and curving right. Bill take the club back about 3/4 so that the butt end of the club is facing down at the target line/ball. Leave the hands and armes there and turn your hips, you will see that the hands want to drop straight down. Thats the move to get the path mor in to out. When you start the down swing with your upper body it will tend to give you that out to in "OTT" move and you will slice or pull the ball.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

The School of Golf is doing a special on slicing tonight I believe...there should be plenty of good tips to screw you up real nice :)  I'm convinced the goal of golf magazines and the Golf Channel is to keep instructors in business.

i think most slicers ive seen have open stances.  they want to hit it left, so they aim their feet left, and that makes it worse, ecouraging to wipe across the ball.  i have played with some with a very closed face as well, tho, and they yank left so hard, and shutting the face a bit, they pull it left and it slices back to the right.

ugly stuff.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 4827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!