IGNORED

Letting other people hit your clubs...

tristanhilton85
Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by stjames

I let my golf partner hit my new Cleveland XL270. I think its the lightest driver out there. He uses Cobras.

Anyway, he took a swing and the ball went and hit a house way right. Big 'thunk' noise and fortunately missed the many windows.

Make sure there aren't any houses. ;) That was the lesson for me.

good point. people are used to their own clubs. so they may hit yours way different and shank it and hit a dang house. lol.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I was LOL when that happened. I insisted he hit it at the range since he was having a good round. Later in the day, he hit an electrical wire way out there. The odds of that happening.....

cleveland.gif XL270 Driver /10.5
cleveland.gif TL3W
Tour Edge JGold Max Bazooka Hybrids: 5-P 
cleveland.gifCG16 Black Pearls: 52, 56, 60
odyssey.gif TERON srixon.gif

Originally Posted by stjames

I was LOL when that happened. I insisted he hit it at the range since he was having a good round. Later in the day, he hit an electrical wire way out there. The odds of that happening.....

good times at a golf course. I did this when I first got my driver. didn't know what to expect on the course. shanked it and hit the roof of some apartments. not so good times. no one came out. I walked over to say sorry to anyone over there, but no one. found the ball too.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I'll let someone use my clubs if i know they're capable of doing so with out damaging them... I'll also gladly try out someone elses if they ask, i never really ask too though. Also, having the negative thought that your going to mess up someones club when using it will usually lead to you doing it because your not focused on hitting well, but focused on not putting a mark on it. Swing it like its your regular club and everything will go smooth

• Upvote 1

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Well I remember two times I wasn't too pleased ........

We were hitting drivers at the range and one of the guys had an older Cobra that made a very loud sound ...... you need to wear earprotection we laughed, well as we were pounding balls to the end of the range at about 250 yds out and the loud jukeboxguy didn't further than at about 225, he asked how we reached way further than he could and one of my friends said he could hit the end with any driver. The guy handed over his driver and my friend gave it a good whack ....... pienggggg and the head almost went further than the ball ........ we ended up buying the guy a new second hand driver .......

And last year I met a nice girl who took up golfing and she invited me to the range of her club one evening, hitting some balls, giving some instruction etc..... I had a brandnew Ping G15 driver with me, hit a few balls well over 200 with it, and she asked if she could try ........ I know I should have told her that it was a mens club for advanced golfers, but ....... when I nice girl you just met asks if she may play with your toy ....... well she hit it straight into the mat first attempt and under the ball at the second attempt leaving a huge skymark from the rough range ball ....... I sold the club and the girl isn't mine anymore........

Lessons learnt ..... but if one of my regular buddies ask if they can try my driver, no problem.

Allthough if it were a near new 910 D3, I would think twice !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I've had people ask me to try my club, and I always say yes cuz I'm a push over, but I never want to.

Drugs are bad. M'kay.

I change my swing every time I don't shoot par for the course.

Best Round: 89 at Lake Park Golf Course, Lewisville, TX   66.5/102

Thanks for the chuckle...

Originally Posted by Gerald

I had a brandnew Ping G15 driver with me, hit a few balls well over 200 with it, and she asked if she could try ........ I know I should have told her that it was a mens club for advanced golfers, but

You sky it you buy it !!

I rarely let anyone hit my clubs.  Irons.. thats fine... woods, no friggin way.  I haven't put an idiot mark on one of my clubs in 25 years or more.  I am not giving it to you just so you can sky ball the first whack and say " Oh... Sorry" as you hand it back to me.  Besides my driver is 8 degrees, an inch and half long with an X shaft.  Most guys aren't going to like it any way.  I used to get asked all the time when I gamed a 4 degree  driver.  It started out as a novelty but I loved it.  Any way because it was such a different club everybody wanted to try it once.  I let a few guys hit it but they knew going in that if they did any thing untoward to it they would be buying it.

Never had anyone ask or offer. I must say if I see an appealing looking club with a cool looking grip I will ask to look at it. Never swing it(what is the purpose really). I find that almost all golfers will let me take a closer look at a club in there bag especially if I complement the looks of it. What can I say I like good looking clubs and am not above asking about it.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

People always ask me if they can mess around with my clubs since I'm left handed.  I'm always very hesitant about it but I usually let them because the people who ask me are usually a playing buddy.  I won't let people hit off a tee with any woods, but will usually let most people use my irons and putter.

However last semester in my college golf class I let another student use my, at the time, brand new Taylormade Raylor.  I turned around real quick to talk to the coach and turned back around and the other student decided it would be a smart idea to swing my left handed club, backwards and right handed, hitting the ball with the back of the crown.  Luckily it didn't leave much of a mark because he was such a terrible golfer, but I almost wanted to wrap that club around his head.

Originally Posted by shades9323

I'll let anybody hit my clubs.  It is just a club after all.

This.

I'd be a lot less likely to let them try out my car, but a golf club?  Pulleeeze!

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

WOW! That club pro is an a-hole and not much of a pro.

I asked one of my best friends to hit my Burner Superfast once  mostly because he plays with really cheap gear and I wanted him to see what he could do with a better club.

So that would be on me if he marked it.

I don't think I would let someone I didn't know hit it and I wouldn't ask to hit their club I would feel really bad if I put any kind of mark on it. A 910 is $399.00 at Golfsmith!!!

So I'd just go someplace and try one if I really wanted one. Even then some places tape them up. A high quality driver just costs too much but I would have no problem letting a

friend try out a 60 degree wedge or a putter.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

This.

I'd be a lot less likely to let them try out my car, but a golf club?  Pulleeeze!

Yeah same, the chances of something happening to it are really low.  Even if it did it would not be the end of the world.

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

Never had anyone ask or offer. I must say if I see an appealing looking club with a cool looking grip I will ask to look at it. Never swing it(what is the purpose really). I find that almost all golfers will let me take a closer look at a club in there bag especially if I complement the looks of it. What can I say I like good looking clubs and am not above asking about it.

People never want to hit my blades, but I did have a guy swing my MP-11 3-iron a few times. He seemed to be reliving some past glory days.

I asked a kid if I could hit his CG something or other 4-iron, because I like Cleveland. It convinced me to look for a newer Cleveland 2-iron to throw in with my blades, so I was happy he let me,

Painted clubs on the other hand (woods and hybrids) . . . not gonna happen.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Depending on the person, I do have a problem with someone hitting my clubs.  Some of them, anyway.  Golf clubs in a way are an investment, and I've had that investment broken at the hands of others before.  One day on a driving range I let my friend hit my new TaylorMade driver (new at the time).  He took one swing, hit the the ball with the hosel of the club, and the clubhead went flying off onto the range about 50 yards.  Was this his fault?  Probably not.  Granted, he wasn't a very skilled player, but it was probably just a club malfunction, or a club that was poorly pieced together.  Either way, I knew he felt horrible about doing it, so I didn't let him know my discomfort with the club breaking, though it was like $350.  I then spent like $50 to get it fixed.  I guess my problem with letting other people use my clubs, especially strangers or beginners, is that if they are to break it, I know they're going to feel horrible about it, and therefore I'd rather have the malfunction happen to me.  When you're swinging someone else's club at the ground at 100 MPH, even if you make decent contact, something may happen to the club.  It's just natural, and it's just physics, really.  I understand where you're coming from, as well as the man who said no after bragging about the driver.  I think you have a good attitude towards it though, just a learning experience to keep in mind for the next time it happens.  Take care.

Garrett Dennert

People my skill level and above can use my stuff. I've let everyone use my putter and wedges, and all the people I regularly golf with have used my brand new irons, except one, who is the only one who asked (someone or myself will offer to trade irons to compare). Literally my first day out with them, and he walks up and says

"I'm gonna use one of your irons." like it's nothing.

"No you're not." He looked at me like I'm Hitler.

"Well mine are too short!"

"I don't give a shit." I wouldn't have been as rude if he didn't just SAY he was using my gear. So he sighed heavily and grabbed his club, and he dug it into the ground without even touching the ball.

I wouldn't have let him if he asked, but still.. just assuming it's ok pissed me off

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!