IGNORED

My driver fitting (The_Pharaoh)

Note: This thread is 4372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nope. I was worried when I realised I had to hit their crappy range balls, off a rubber tee I couldn't adjust the height of, an uphill driving range and the grass wet.

Even so, the numbers surprised me. I think I'll seek out a decent fitting centre the next time I'm in the UK as I'm very keen on buying a new driver after what I've discovered on here!

Originally Posted by Zeph

The place you went to didn't allow you to bring your own balls?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Seriously, range balls? All those numbers are completely useless if you used some old range ball. Hitting balls on a range gives the advantage of being able to verify the distance, but it also makes it harder to use your own balls. A fitting center with a simulator where you hit on a screen is perhaps better.

Do you really not have access to a fitting center in Madrid, or at least close by? I've had a couple of trips to Spain in the Alicante area where there are lots of golf courses. That is of course far from Madrid, but I thought there would be more of this stuff in Spain. Here in Norway we got some places, but you have to travel some distance if you live outside the big cities. I wish there were more options. Actually I have planned on trying out drivers myself in a week or two, getting it fit on a simulator. I've hit on one before to see if my irons needed lie adjustment, but other then that, nothing. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Best of luck to you in finding a driver.

Perhaps there is a store where you can borrow clubs with more loft and just hit it on a course, compare it with your current one. Takes more time though.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Pharaoh,

We have installed the TrackMan Range installation in Madrid (Golf Park). I appreciate your post very much.

First of all you have to consider that those range balls carry about 7-10% less.

The assumptions made in other posts to calculate your SS are OK.

If you want to see your "real" carry and ball flight data, you could hit a couple of your own balls in the range (you will lose them...) or you could arange a ball fitting with VirtualRange http://www.virtualrange.es/trackmanlab.html.

Please let us know if we can farther help.

VirtualRange

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Thanks to you, Stretch, Erik and Gerald I now know where the problems lie. I need a driver with more loft and a less stiff shaft. Oh, and I need to work on shallowing out my AoA as I'm not positive but negative! Weird as I really feel as if I'm hitting up the ball...

I agree you need more loft. Shaft flex, well that's hard to say. 105 mph is certainly in the range where most manufacturers would be recommending their "stiff" offering, even though Gerald is right and there's no standard for that definition. Angle of attack is also tricky to figure, but I really doubt you're hitting down much if at all. With an 8.5 degree driver, to get an 11 degree launch you are either hitting up at 3.5 degrees (in the typical driver range, the initial launch angle is about 88% of the loft). To have a negative AoA with those conditions, you'd have to be adding four or more degrees of effective loft by getting the clubhead in front of your hands at impact. That would be a damn big flip!

So, yeah, you've got to go get some better data. Good luck!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

Originally Posted by VirtualRange

First of all you have to consider that those range balls carry about 7-10% less.

With all due respect, you're not doing anyone any favors by using range balls (especially limited flight range balls) when using Trackman to do, well, much of anything.

Phil, you should get your money back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Lot's of good info here.

I recently went through this process myself hitting brand new range balls (we literally were opening boxes for me to hit them).  I found the Trackman Pro results with range balls within reason.  I took the best combination we came up with and played the demo club for 18 holes.  I measured my drives with my GPS and compared to my old driver.  At the end of my round I bought a new version of what we spec'd out and went through a quick fitting with it.  Couldn't be happier with the results.

I found that my on course results with a good ball were much better than Trackman predicted.

Well it is a TrackMan fix installation called TrackMan Range. This concept gives you a lot of information in the TrackMan bay althaugh your'e hitting range balls. Please take a look here: http://www.trackman.dk/Products/TrackMan-Range.aspx

It is not a TrackMan fitting session with TrackMan Pro (which of course would be done with good balls).

I hope this clarifies where does the data come form.

VirtualRange

for what its worth my swing speed is 95mph with driver and i use a r7 425 10 deg with a regular v2 shaft and get about 230 to 250 mtrs carry with this set up so maybe you do need more loft and a regular shaft if you are around 95mph,i tried a stiff shaft but got the slice problem when i tried it and had to rip it to keep it from slicing thats why i went to regular so i could swing normally,my iron shafts are nippon ns pro stiff as recommended by the mizuno fitting device that attaches to a club for my kick point etc etc hope this helps ,i know we are all different ,it just looks like our swing speeds are similar

Originally Posted by sparko

for what its worth my swing speed is 95mph with driver and i ... get about 230 to 250 mtrs carry.

Then either you swing faster than you think, or you have been personally exempted from the laws of physics.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

swingspeedchart.jpg

How accurate are these charts?

The average swing speed on the LPGA Tour is 94 mph, ball speed at 139 with a 1,47 smash factor and optimal launch angle at 14º. The problem with you saying you carry 230-250 with a 95 mph swing is that it doesn't fit. To carry 250 with optimal launch conditions you need closer to a 110 mph swing speed.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Stretch

Angle of attack is also tricky to figure, but I really doubt you're hitting down much if at all.

Yes, I need better data! I also doubted very much I was hitting down on the ball...

I think I'm going to contact Virtual Range above for a proper fitting.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by VirtualRange

Hi Pharaoh,

We have installed the TrackMan Range installation in Madrid (Golf Park). I appreciate your post very much. First of all you have to consider that those range balls carry about 7-10% less. The assumptions made in other posts to calculate your SS are OK. If you want to see your "real" carry and ball flight data, you could hit a couple of your own balls in the range (you will lose them...) or you could arange a ball fitting with VirtualRange http://www.virtualrange.es/trackmanlab.html.

Please let us know if we can farther help.

VirtualRange

Hi VirtualRange,

Yes, I got the figures above from Golf Park in Madrid. I haven't been back since October as TrackMan Range is worthless for club fitting. It is OK to play the games you have, but not very reliable for using the data for buying new clubs.

I want a proper fitting with TrackMan Pro with Pro V1 balls. Where are you located in Madrid so I can pass by for a session?

Many thanks!

Seriously, range balls? All those numbers are completely useless if you used some old range ball. Hitting balls on a range gives the advantage of being able to verify the distance, but it also makes it harder to use your own balls. A fitting center with a simulator where you hit on a screen is perhaps better.

Do you really not have access to a fitting center in Madrid, or at least close by? I've had a couple of trips to Spain in the Alicante area where there are lots of golf courses. That is of course far from Madrid, but I thought there would be more of this stuff in Spain. Here in Norway we got some places, but you have to travel some distance if you live outside the big cities. I wish there were more options. Actually I have planned on trying out drivers myself in a week or two, getting it fit on a simulator. I've hit on one before to see if my irons needed lie adjustment, but other then that, nothing. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Thanks Zeph. I've asked VirtualRange to give me a hand as I am not sure where to go in Madrid for a proper fitting with Trackman Pro and not Trackman Range. My parents live very near to Alicante, so if I can't find a place in Madrid I may just have to plan a trip down to see them real soon. It's a long drive (5 hours) but worth it to see the folks! ;-)

AoA is where launch angle and spin rate comes into play. Steeper AoA will result in more spin and less dynamic loft. By using a launch monitor you can identify these things and pick clubs that fit to your swing.

In your event, you might benefit from a more lofted driver. The alternative is to change the AoA, but that would mean a swing change. Tee height and position can also play a role here. Teeing it too far back or too low can give you a lower launch angle and in effect less distance.

Then again, hitting range balls on a launch monitor is like picking a driver blindfolded, so you haven't really gotten anywhere yet, go find yourself a proper place! Range balls are softer than playing balls, which might cause the high spin rate.

BTW .... for a chelsea fan it might not be the brightiest idea to use your avator in Madrid

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

• Administrator

How accurate are these charts?

Pretty accurate. 2.5x ball speed for IDEAL CONTACT and FULLY OPTIMIZED launch conditions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Gerald

BTW .... for a chelsea fan it might not be the brightiest idea to use your avator in Madrid

In Madrid, football fans only have eyes for their beloved Real Madrid. Chelsea doesn't even register on their radars!

Note: This thread is 4372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!