IGNORED

My Swing (golfnuub)

golfnuub
Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

anyone care to examine my swing, point out any flaws/things i need to work on? i recorded it at 240fps, unfortunately the camera i used would only record at around 320x240 if i remember correctly so picture quality suffered.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=8542

thanks to all who take the time to look at my video.

In my Bag:
Burner 460 Driver 10.5deg stiff
Burner #3 Fairway Wood 15 deg stiff
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips
Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11, 60.07 Wedges White Hot XG 2-Ball SRT Putter

please feel free to continue assisting me, your tips are very helpful.

thanks for taking the time to look at it.

In my Bag:
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips

not yet. i will record some and post them later this week.

do you have any tips/drills that i could use to work on correcting some of the faults you pointed out. i understand the one about keeping the clubhead out and hands in/butt of club pointing more towards my hips, but in regards to my left hip being high? along with my me going across the line, etc.

thanks for you help. i get this darn swing figured out one day hopefully.  i think if i can become more consistent and have a repeatable swing that feels good and has all the right mechanics of a good swing that should help lower my scores. right now sometimes my swing feels good to me, but i seem to not be able to carry that over from swing to swing which translates into my inconsistency, off the tee, off the deck, with all my clubs, or i just have really bad swing mechanics which even though im athletic i still cant correct them before/at impact so i have shots going left or right, hitting fat, skulling etc.

anyway, look forward to any other advice you can or anyone else can give me. are there any youtube videos that i could use to help me that you recommend?

In my Bag:

Getting a face on video makes it easier to help. What do you struggle with? Fat shots, thin shots, slice/fade, hook/draw? There are things I'd work on from the DTL view, but knowing what you want to work on is helpful.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i will get a face on vid up probably wed/thursday this week. i have to have my irons lie tested and possibly adjusted so irons will be in the shop for a day or two.  hmm where do i start...haha. Typically i fall victim to a push fade. i feel that my natural tendency is a fade, but i just struggle with consistently hitting it with a fade, straight or a draw, so for example when i am on the teebox since i dont know what im going to get and depending on the hole layout i will move either to the left or right on the teebox and swing away. sometimes i get it right down the middle, other times push fade comes in and im sitting in the tree line or just on the other side of the tree line down the left side, if water is there then splash., and sometimes i can get a draw/hook going, although those are rare. im mainly straight or push fade. with irons some times i catch them fat. what i am looking for and need help with is finding the right swing mechanics to produce consistent results, swing after swing regardless of the club i have in my hand.  not sure if that helps or not.

RECAP:

driver/3 wood: typically push fade or straight.

irons:  fat, with the occasional skull (skulls rarely happen, fat shots are more common for me)

Originally Posted by Zeph

Getting a face on video makes it easier to help. What do you struggle with? Fat shots, thin shots, slice/fade, hook/draw? There are things I'd work on from the DTL view, but knowing what you want to work on is helpful.

In my Bag:

Originally Posted by golfnuub

i will get a face on vid up probably wed/thursday this week. i have to have my irons lie tested and possibly adjusted so irons will be in the shop for a day or two.  hmm where do i start...haha. Typically i fall victim to a push fade. i feel that my natural tendency is a fade, but i just struggle with consistently hitting it with a fade, straight or a draw, so for example when i am on the teebox since i dont know what im going to get and depending on the hole layout i will move either to the left or right on the teebox and swing away. sometimes i get it right down the middle, other times push fade comes in and im sitting in the tree line or just on the other side of the tree line down the left side, if water is there then splash., and sometimes i can get a draw/hook going, although those are rare. im mainly straight or push fade. with irons some times i catch them fat. what i am looking for and need help with is finding the right swing mechanics to produce consistent results, swing after swing regardless of the club i have in my hand.  not sure if that helps or not.

RECAP:

driver/3 wood: typically push fade or straight.

irons:  fat, with the occasional skull (skulls rarely happen, fat shots are more common for me)

Like I mentioned before fat and skulls will happen because you are coming in so steep.    hard to draw the ball from this angle along with a driver that will spin like crazy...    Start off by kicking in your rear knee toward the target.  This will allow the hips to be at the same angle as your shoulders..  In front of a mirror without a club cross your arms to the shoulders.  Practice  turning into the rear inner leg.   Yoy should feel a stretch ing the lead lat and pressure in the rear inner thigh muscle.    By kicking in the rear knee it will feel as though you have a lot of weight or pressure on the rear instep at address...     While doing this pivot drill draw a line in the mirror where the edge of both hips.   When you pivot you will notice the lead hip will stay on the line while the rear hip will move toward the target.   You will see space between the your back hip and the line where the hip originally was.   If you do this you will feel a whole new pivot...     Lets start with that as you can do that a bunch tonight..  For videos watch mahan kim and montessero..   Notice how the do not sway off the ball and how they coil into the rear leg.   Then watch bubba phil,   Do you notice how they rock off the ball right away?  Notice how they become wild off the tee?  Watch lee trevino.....  You want to compress the ball like him?

3wood FO video

7 iron FO video

Driver FO video

im ready for more swing analysis!!! :)

In my Bag:

proguy 747 or anyone else out there willing to point out some things i need to work on based on the swing videos i have posted here, and the one over at swing academy?

In my Bag:

Pretty flexible.  You don't seem to have too many physical limitations.  The biggest thing:  your shoulders open up too quickly.  This is why you get a little bit of casting.  That's a necessary compensation for your too aggressive upper body shift since you would whiff if you maintained lag.  If you notice your spine angle at impact in the FO view, it is more vertical than on your backswing.  The opposite should be true with a properly sequenced swing.  Keep your lower body action, but imagine your head hanging in space once you press into your right knee on your transition and your body rotating around it.  The head should go slightly forward and slightly down at the transition, but then it should remain still until well after impact.  Take a look at Bubba Watson's downswing since you guys are both left-handed, you're not quite that flexible but your pretty decent, and you both have pretty wide takeaways.  After you get that head position down, work on developing a little beat between when you fire your legs and hips and when you fire the shoulders.  You want the lower body to bring the shoulders and arms into the hitting zone.  Then you can turn your shoulders through as hard as you want.  Good luck.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I think you have a lot of good aspects to your swing.  Athletic, strong.

Main things I see:

your head moves a lot--significantly back then down then up during the backswing, then forward down and up in the forward swing.  I think if you made more of a centered turn (keeping upper torso and head more over the ball in the backswing) you will rely less on timing and hit the ball more consistently.

You bring the club behind your hands too early in the backswing, which is the first move that leads to a correction of lifting up at the top of the backswing(which you do), which then leads to the over the top move.

I really like how well you extend your right leg into impact--could get your hips more forward and extend the left leg and spine more into impact.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Personally I think its a pretty good swing, from this view I wouldnt change anything. You could try a centered swing if you wanted but from looking at your swing I dont think you need to. Ive had a centered swing ever since I swung a club in 1998 so I stick with what I know best but I wouldnt try to get someone to do it if they have a good move like you do. You have a nice forward hip motion too. Post some DTL videos.

edit: actually I just saw your original DTL video. One thing I would do if I would you, at the start of the downswing keep your left elbow closer your left side and then release it into the ball near impact.

really nice swing. i'd change one thing: keep your head steady and your nose just behind the ball the whole time. you're swaying left and right and this will throw off your swing. it's impossible to come back to the correct spot every time. if you look at videos of every single pro, some of their heads bob and dip, but you will never see it move toward or away from their target. you will NEVER be consistent with a sway.

one problem i am having with my irons is i am taking really deep divots, which would indicate i am coming in very steep on the downswing. will getting my head to stay in one spot and not sway, fix that, or do i need to work more on not bringing the club inside on the take away which causes me to have to lift and come over the top? swinging in my living room (thank god for 10 foot ceilings) the past couple nights i have noticed that i seem to have my chin to close to my body when addressing the ball so in my back swing my right shoulder starts creeping into that space causing my head to sway to the left. i have been retraining myself to lift my head up more to allow my right shoulder to go underneath and not disrupt my head. it felt better, i guess will see what the range brings this weekend. saturday cant get here soon enough!!!!

thanks for all your help so far....keep the tips coming. more videos this weekend.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Pretty flexible.  You don't seem to have too many physical limitations.  The biggest thing:  your shoulders open up too quickly.  This is why you get a little bit of casting.  That's a necessary compensation for your too aggressive upper body shift since you would whiff if you maintained lag.  If you notice your spine angle at impact in the FO view, it is more vertical than on your backswing.  The opposite should be true with a properly sequenced swing.  Keep your lower body action, but imagine your head hanging in space once you press into your right knee on your transition and your body rotating around it.  The head should go slightly forward and slightly down at the transition, but then it should remain still until well after impact.  Take a look at Bubba Watson's downswing since you guys are both left-handed, you're not quite that flexible but your pretty decent, and you both have pretty wide takeaways.  After you get that head position down, work on developing a little beat between when you fire your legs and hips and when you fire the shoulders.  You want the lower body to bring the shoulders and arms into the hitting zone.  Then you can turn your shoulders through as hard as you want.  Good luck.

bunkerputt, do you have any drills that i can use to work on slowing my shoulders down so they dont open so quickly or will not allowing the club to go to the inside on my takeaway cure that flaw?

Originally Posted by uttexas

I think you have a lot of good aspects to your swing.  Athletic, strong.

Main things I see:

your head moves a lot--significantly back then down then up during the backswing, then forward down and up in the forward swing.  I think if you made more of a centered turn (keeping upper torso and head more over the ball in the backswing) you will rely less on timing and hit the ball more consistently.

You bring the club behind your hands too early in the backswing, which is the first move that leads to a correction of lifting up at the top of the backswing(which you do), which then leads to the over the top move.

I really like how well you extend your right leg into impact--could get your hips more forward and extend the left leg and spine more into impact.

keeping my head steady is #1 task this weekend.....

Originally Posted by motteler621

Personally I think its a pretty good swing, from this view I wouldnt change anything. You could try a centered swing if you wanted but from looking at your swing I dont think you need to. Ive had a centered swing ever since I swung a club in 1998 so I stick with what I know best but I wouldnt try to get someone to do it if they have a good move like you do. You have a nice forward hip motion too. Post some DTL videos.

edit: actually I just saw your original DTL video. One thing I would do if I would you, at the start of the downswing keep your left elbow closer your left side and then release it into the ball near impact.

In my Bag:

Nub,  you have some good impact angles in your arms and flat left wrist..   Great job.   Next post lets see vids of dtl, face on and from behind.  This will help show what areas to work on.  First off lets work on the set-up. Do you notice your shoulder are tilted away from the target but your hips are level?   We need to fix that as that set-up sets you up for a high rear hip and the lead hip dipping down and toward the ball.  Kick in your rear knee toward the ball this will allow the rear hip to match the angle of your shoulders.   Know lets work on your backswing.  Notice how your hands start the swing?  Your clubhead is behind  your rear foot before your shoulders start to turn.   This will result in the clubhead getting sucked behind you and your swing is already out of sync. Start the swing by turning away your rear shoulder and rear hip away from the ball first.  This will create a one piece takeaway...   A drill is to tie a towel to the clubhead so it lags on the backswing.  It will also make you feel the pivot driving the arms and hands compared to what you have know where the arms and hands driving the pivot.   Next we need to firm up your lower body.     I need you to practice your pivot in the front room without a club...  Work on the rear knee kicked in at address.  Feel the pressure on the rear foot instep.  Then fell your first move of turning the rear shoulder and hip away from your center.  Do not sway off the ball..  Your rear hip will stay down and works towards the heel it will then work toward the target.  If you were looking at a mirror mark the location of both hips edges.   When you pivot correctly you will see the lead hip stay on the line and the rear hip will have a gap between the starting position and where it is at the top.  If you take your old backswing your lead hip will have a gap in it and the rear hip will be further from the target.    With the correct backswing pivot you will feel a stretch in the rear inner quad.  That feels different......

The reason your head moves on the downswing is it has to...  When you make the correct backswing the downswing starts to fix itself for the most part.    Dont worry about the downswing right know..  The steep angle will be fixed by fixing the backswing... Trust me..

+1 " keep your head steady and your nose just behind the ball the whole time. you're swaying left and right and this will throw off your swing. it's impossible to come back to the correct spot every time. if you look at videos of every single pro, some of their heads bob and dip, but you will never see it move toward or away from their target. you will NEVER be consistent with a sway. "

Draw a line on following your back thigh, your body should never cross this line, also at impact your foot should be flat or near flat on the ground.  Very hard thing to groove.  Start out drilling with half swings, focusing on not swaying and starting the downswing with your arms not your hips, keep the back foot on the ground as long as possible.  Study videos of Tiger, and Grant Waite FO and watch their lower body, it will be very quiet.

"bunkerputt, do you have any drills that i can use to work on slowing my shoulders down so they dont open so quickly or will not allowing the club to go to the inside on my takeaway cure that flaw?"

it's not a matter of slowing your shoulders down, it's a matter of the proper sequence and rhythm that makes your individual golf swing work. the basic concept i think everyone is trying to convey is pretty much the same.

1. in your backswing, turn your hips, don't sway.

2. in the downswing, keep your same inclination to the ground and clear your lead hip back out of the way to make room for your arms

3. make sure your head is steady in both the backswing and downswing and your shoulders square to the hitting zone at impact.

to complete all these in the proper sequence resulting in a successful outcome requires a certain rhythm. some are smooth, some are jerky, but you've got to find it out for yourself. once you find your rhythm, you can speed up and slow down your swing and still stay in sequence and hit more consistently.

i like to think of rhythm as if i'm swinging on a swing set. you have to use your own momentum and gravity in proper sequence to continue swinging successfully, no difference in the golf swing

Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!