IGNORED

ugh, my first on-course altercation.

mirv
Note: This thread is 4789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Taiwan golfer

To the OP, you were much more patient than I would have been.  Him picking up your ball is a very escalating behavior.  Not only is it a total breach of etiquette but that is out right theft. Since he wanted to make up lies at the clubhouse, you could of had him arrested and pressed charges for the theft of your ball.

funny stuff. grand theft ball-o.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

A ball landing 20 yards behind me is a little too close for comfort, but that's probably how I'd phrase it too.  I'd probably offer to let you play through too, that way I don't have to worry about it and no big confrontation.  Nothing good comes from being a jerk on either end of a situation.

You did your best to apologize, that's really all you can do.  Keep your cool and they'll be on their way.

The worst is drunks on a golf course.  I could tell several drunks on a golf course stories (of which I'm not the drunk), but the bottom line of them all is they are usually trouble.  Do your best to avoid them.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

The two guys I was playing with were decent hitters, but not super long. The first steps up and hits his driver thinking they were far enough away, just rips it. It happened to drop and roll right down (18 plays downhill btw) to where they were parked "looking for a ball in the rough." One of these clowns looks back and flips us off, and I can hear him say in his surfer voice: "Hey, F you man!" My partner yelled "sorry" but again all he got was "F you man" back. These guys were taking so long dicking around I actually got fed up and yelled "Hurry Up!!!" To which he replied "F you man" again. Then he proceeds to pick up my partners ball, toss it in the fairway, and attempt to hit it back at us, which he actually shanked into the trees. By this point I had had it! It wasn't intentional. He had apologized. Get over it! They were playing way to slow anyways, and now he just lost my partners ball being a douche. I took a junk ball tee'd it up high, and aimed right towards them. I guess the frustration got to me and I blasted it right over them, but faded it just enough to stay in the fairway, and roll it down 20 yards past where they were. Hahaha. Im not going to lie I had intended to hit into them. Call me an asshole or whatever, but it is what it is, and I have a low tolerance for douche bags in general. Especially on the golf course.

They of course avoided us at the club house and in the parking lot.

There's just no excuse for being a slow douche bag player with an attitude. Learn how to play golf, and don't be an ass!!!

The hypocrisy in this post is overflowing...

• Upvote 1

Funny story, I took my ex golfing a few times 3 years ago. Guy was making derogatory remarks about a girl playing golf (she was 20 at the time), and just was being an overall dick. She actually hit a good drive (about 150), and he did the same thing your guy did, and picked up her ball. I yelled at him to put it back down if he knew what was good for him, and he drove back and came right to us and yelled, "well why dont you show me whats good for me". I back off, not trying to get in a fight, so i tell him to just back off, because im trying to teach my girl to golf and dont need a prick turning her off of the game. He starts running his mouth some more, saying that girls have no place on the course, and should be cooking back in the club house for when he's done his round.  No lie, my ex, all 105 lbs of her, nailed him square in the face with a punch i wouldnt have want to be on the receiving end of. The guy had a shocked look on his face, and didnt say a single word, and never did report it or call the cops. Guess he was too embarassed, and no one would have believed his story that the sweet young girl blackend his eye.

nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5º  stiff
cobra baffler 3 wood stiff / cobra baffler 18º hybrid stiff
cobra sz irons stiff (soon to be bridgestone j33)
Cleveland 52, 56, 60 cg14
odyssey 2 dot putter / taylormade penta tp, prov1, callaway hx tour (have a few boxes of each from the past couple seasons)

Originally Posted by shades9323

The hypocrisy in this post is overflowing...

Oh is it now? Care to elaborate some???

Let me guess, you think Im a douche bag for hitting a ball at them? Don't matter to me. Everyone has their breaking point, and it took 18 holes to reach mine. The hitting the ball back at us, and ultimately losing it was the last straw. Would driving up and getting in his face or kicking his ass been better for you? Hahaha

Originally Posted by rwfastrax

To each his own...it's never a good idea to hit driver (or any club) at someone intentionally. I know everyone knows this...Just sayin'

Though I have felt like it!

Good idea or not. Some people are talkers and others are doers. I will say this, "Stupid people don't know they're stupid, until you tell them." And with that some people are just too soft and sensitive…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by JoshKeller

Funny story, I took my ex golfing a few times 3 years ago. Guy was making derogatory remarks about a girl playing golf (she was 20 at the time), and just was being an overall dick. She actually hit a good drive (about 150), and he did the same thing your guy did, and picked up her ball. I yelled at him to put it back down if he knew what was good for him, and he drove back and came right to us and yelled, "well why dont you show me whats good for me". I back off, not trying to get in a fight, so i tell him to just back off, because im trying to teach my girl to golf and dont need a prick turning her off of the game. He starts running his mouth some more, saying that girls have no place on the course, and should be cooking back in the club house for when he's done his round.  No lie, my ex, all 105 lbs of her, nailed him square in the face with a punch i wouldnt have want to be on the receiving end of. The guy had a shocked look on his face, and didnt say a single word, and never did report it or call the cops. Guess he was too embarassed, and no one would have believed his story that the sweet young girl blackend his eye.

I LOVE IT!!!! Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by JoshKeller

Wowwww....all I can say is, if this happened to me I'm glad I've got a solid weapon in my hands....I'm glad it didn't, I probably would've murdered him if he talked to my wife like that....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

I don't think the issue is you hitting it close... you apologized and that should have been enough.  He should have just politely ask you to wait a bit longer so you don't put him on edge.  If he had done that... I think you gladly would have done so.  The issue then is... he's a jerk and paranoid that you are trying to harm him and his wife.

I did the same as you with my father years ago by hitting driver close to the group in front of me and then 3 holds later rolling it past them.  It was my fault 100% but I honestly had no clue I was going to hit either drive that far.  At the next par 3, I came up to the group and apologized.  I let them know I didn't think I would hit it that far... I'm sure they didn't believe me but they were cordial about it and just said to be careful.  Apology given, apology accepted... done.

• Upvote 1

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

I don't think the issue is you hitting it close... you apologized and that should have been enough.  He should have just politely ask you to wait a bit longer so you don't put him on edge.  If he had done that... I think you gladly would have done so.  The issue then is... he's a jerk and paranoid that you are trying to harm him and his wife.

I did the same as you with my father years ago by hitting driver close to the group in front of me and then 3 holds later rolling it past them.  It was my fault 100% but I honestly had no clue I was going to hit either drive that far.  At the next par 3, I came up to the group and apologized.  I let them know I didn't think I would hit it that far... I'm sure they didn't believe me but they were cordial about it and just said to be careful.  Apology given, apology accepted... done.

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

Good topic.

I've played so many rounds in my life and have encountered so many different kinds of people. I'm very happy to say that a very, very, very small minority of golfers are the jackasses. While you should always wait until the group in front of you has cleared, sometimes you mash one a bit farther than you're used to; all you need to do is apologize and most people (myself included) are fine with that. But the same people, like the one described in the OP, act the same both on and off the golf course.

The only time I lost my lid was warranted. My friend and I went to play this little nine hole course in my town and walked up to the tee. It rained earlier in the day so the course was empty. A group of four good golfers were standing there ready to go; they told us to go ahead. I told them we were in no hurry; I knew the four guys were fast so I wasn't worried. They insisted so we went--they then proceeded to hit into us for the first five holes. One of the guys even drove his ball over our heads on the second hole; we were no more than 225 yards off the tee and he decided he was going to hit. On the fifth hole, I was hitting my second shot and his tee shot literally bounced and hit my golf bag. Needless to say, I was hot and ready to go. I waited for them to get to the ball and I had to be held back by my friend. Told them to play through, they did. I went into the pro shop after the round and they were still in there. We continued our little confrontation, the pro listened to what was going on and told the guys that if he received another complaint about them hitting into groups, they would be banned from the course.

Sometimes you try to act like the bigger person, sometimes you have to be the nice guy. And sometimes you have to be a mean sonabitch. Life sucks.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

I can see both sides to this… And I share your frustration.

Just last week I was playing a fairly busy golf course in OC, in the afternoon which is even worse, and it gets predominately over run with the, how can I sensitively say this…? Slow Asian players. Hahaha. Well on the 18th whole we finally ran into some issues, but it had bowling for all 18. The whole round we had been following this foursome of retards. These guys had no business being out on the course when they were. And Im all for people learning golf, just don't be a fool about it. These guys were clearly beginners, and clearly had no etiquette. Playing in flip flops and jeans, so naturally had no clue about anything. Anyways, needless to say they were ridiculously slow players.

SO long story short, we get to the 18th tee box, and these guys still hadn't tee'd off. Well actually this happened a few times, and why it happened was because they would attempt to tee off 3 times each. So we sit and wait for these guys to finally get off the tee box, and move out down the cart path. The two guys I was playing with were decent hitters, but not super long. The first steps up and hits his driver thinking they were far enough away, just rips it. It happened to drop and roll right down (18 plays downhill btw) to where they were parked "looking for a ball in the rough." One of these clowns looks back and flips us off, and I can hear him say in his surfer voice: "Hey, F you man!" My partner yelled "sorry" but again all he got was "F you man" back. These guys were taking so long dicking around I actually got fed up and yelled "Hurry Up!!!" To which he replied "F you man" again. Then he proceeds to pick up my partners ball, toss it in the fairway, and attempt to hit it back at us, which he actually shanked into the trees. By this point I had had it! It wasn't intentional. He had apologized. Get over it! They were playing way to slow anyways, and now he just lost my partners ball being a douche. I took a junk ball tee'd it up high, and aimed right towards them. I guess the frustration got to me and I blasted it right over them, but faded it just enough to stay in the fairway, and roll it down 20 yards past where they were. Hahaha. Im not going to lie I had intended to hit into them. Call me an asshole or whatever, but it is what it is, and I have a low tolerance for douche bags in general. Especially on the golf course.

They of course avoided us at the club house and in the parking lot.

There's just no excuse for being a slow douche bag player with an attitude. Learn how to play golf, and don't be an ass!!!

Oh is it now? Care to elaborate some???

Let me guess, you think Im a douche bag for hitting a ball at them? Don't matter to me. Everyone has their breaking point, and it took 18 holes to reach mine. The hitting the ball back at us, and ultimately losing it was the last straw. Would driving up and getting in his face or kicking his ass been better for you? Hahaha

Good idea or not. Some people are talkers and others are doers. I will say this, "Stupid people don't know they're stupid, until you tell them." And with that some people are just too soft and sensitive…

Yea it is. You talk about there being no excuse for douchebags with an attitude but you intentionally try to hit somebody?

You also say you're all for people learning to play golf (As long as they don't dare try to do it in front of you apparently) but you do nothing but belittle them and call them names.

Did you offer them any advice regarding etiquitte?

You say you waited for them on several tee boxes, did you ask to play thru?

Did you call the clubhouse or notify a ranger? Seems like if they were as slow as you say they were and the course was as busy as you say it was, the ranger would have been all over them.

You wait until the last hole to reach your boiling point? You couldn't just wait for them to reach the green and play out the final hole at your own pace?

Remind me to never play in front of you.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let me guess, you think Im a douche bag for hitting a ball at them? ...Would driving up and getting in his face or kicking his ass been better for you? Hahaha

Yeah, good point - because hitting into him or kicking his ass are really your only two options.

I will say this, "Stupid people don't know they're stupid, until you tell them."

Apparently no one's told you yet.

Seriously. This is a black and white issue. Nothing excuses hitting into people on purpose, not even the "But I was really really pissed" excuse.

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Yeah, good point - because hitting into him or kicking his ass are really your only two options.

Apparently no one's told you yet.

Seriously. This is a black and white issue. Nothing excuses hitting into people on purpose, not even the "But I was really really pissed" excuse.

There are so many options I've learned from this thread. Whatever the combibation, F-bombs and a ball over their heads are a must.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by mirv

in 8 years of playing, i've never been in an argument or fight on the golf course, but today, alas, my streak was broken.

a man and (presumably) his wife were teeing off just as my dad and i pulled up to the first tee box.  they both hit decent shots, move on down, play their seconds, move on up to the green.  dad and i hit our shots.  same situation on second hole - we watch them hit, wait, then we hit once they move off.

now on the third hole, a 300 yard par 4, when we got to the box, they were only maybe 150 yards up the left side in the trees.  then they move up another 100 yards on the right, so they're only about 50 yards from the green.  my dad, who's 64 and has weak legs,  if he hits a driver 220 yards, he's really tore the cover off it.  so it was a safe assumption that he could go ahead and hit because them being 250 yards out at least, there was no way his ball would get there, even if it rolled a long ways.  so he hits, and of course, it doesn't get anywhere near them, rolling out to about 210 yards approximately.  but as i step onto the box, i see them coming back up the right side towards us.  and then they pick up my dad's ball!  then they toss two of their own balls into the fairway and hit them for god knows why.  so i'm like, okay, whatever, they probably just didn't realize you'd hit and thought it was a stray ball.  we'll just drop you one down there without a penalty.  they hit their two randomly dropped shots (she shanked, he hit a real bad pull hook) and move up, once again, to about 40-50 yards from the green.  i get out a 3-wood and hit it pretty good, which means i hit it about 230.  i watch it, think to myself "they'd better not pick THAT one up," and we proceed to move on up to where dad's ball had been.

as dad is looking for a place to drop, the guy comes back and asks which one of us just fired at them.  i said "well i hit a shot up the middle there about 230 probably," and he starts in with "k, try to have some patience, fella.  you firing at us isn't going to make things go any faster, we've got these people in front of us, so just have some patience" in this real aggravated tone.  i started to say "well, sorry guy, i thought you two were out of range," but he cut me off talking over me saying "you KNEW we weren't out of range!  we had those guys on the green in front of us and you KNEW we were back here!"  i'm like... guys on the green?  fella, they were on number 4 tee box before i ever hit my shot.  "No, they WEREN'T, they were on the green and i'd appreciate it if you'd stop shooting at us."  again, i'm thinking...  stop shooting at you?  this is the first ball i've hit in 3 holes that even came close to you, and i expect it stopped at least 20 yards behind you.  but once again, i try to say "look, i'm sorry, i thought you were out of range," and once again he cuts me off basically saying i KNEW they weren't out of range and that i was purposely driving at them.  at this point i got out of the cart and half-yelled "Will you shut up for a minute and let me explain this to you?!"  but before i could say anything further he turned around and drove off and gave me the finger.  i yelled "fine, yeah, drive away!  blow it out your rear then" after him (only in a more colorful, profane manner).

dad and i turned around and went back to the clubhouse, where the guy was on the phone with the very same prick.  the guy said i had got out of the cart threatening to kick his (expletive).   i was like, uh, no, i told him to blow it out of his (expletive).  i TRIED to own up and apologize to this guy three times and it just wasn't good enough for him apparently.  i don't know.  anyway, dad and i decided we just really didn't feel like golfing anymore and left.  we're members, so it's not like we lost our green fees or anything, although come to find out from the guy in the clubhouse, this other fellow is also a member.  next time i'm there i'm going to ask if he books any kind of consistent tee times so i can just not be on the course when it's his usual time.

Ummm, I think that was the CEO of the golf club

oh oh

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

The best way to avoid being hit into is to be as far ahead as possible. The faster you move, the less chance you have of being hit into. It's funny how you really never have to wait for a shot after the 3rd or 4th hole, so it can't be too hard to get a wriggle on between shots

Note: This thread is 4789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!