IGNORED

Feel or actual yardage?

phillyk
Note: This thread is 4777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are you a player that relies on the actual distance for the shot or one that feels the yardage and shot?

• Feel the distance
    • I need the actual distance
    • Depends on what shot it is.

I guess I could've guessed the outcome of this post when I made it, but when I play with someone with a rangefinder, my feel of the distance is within 5 yards of the actual up to about 220.  The times when I'm further off is when there's a false front on the green.  So, I do run into trouble sometimes feeling the distance but I at least blame myself for it.  I didn't know if other people like to feel the distance instead of using technology.  I guess my main excuse though for not getting a range finder is that I'm still in college and can't use my money for such things yet.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would think it would be amazing for someone to guess the yardage on feel and not by actually looking for yardage markers. I might be within 20 yards of a guess if there were no markers, but that is a club length difference. I completely admit I need markers. or else I would be off the green. unless it is a 20 yard chip. that's all feel. but 100 and out is a different story.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I get the most accurate reading possible. The local course has GPS on the carts, so I use that when I can. If I don't have that, I got based on the yardage markers on the cart path or from the stakes, sometimes pacing off the distance from them to my ball if I can do so without delaying play. Once I have my yardage, I basically pick the appropriate club and then club up or down depending on the situation. 80% of the time I go with the club that I know I'm supposed to, but if I'm hitting short that day I may club down, or if I have a hazard that must be carried I again may club down to ensure that I carry it. Same goes for if there is the need to account for uphill/downhill or wind. Up until just a couple months ago I would sometimes ignore the yardage and go on my feel, but I was wrong almost every time. Now I go by the yardage unless there is a specific reason to deviate.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

The distance is just a starting point, I use it more to let me know where the trouble lies, hazards, front of green, back of green.  There are so many day to day variations, weather, hills, what type of shot you are hitting well that day that the club varies for the same distance for me

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I answered "Depends". I've had an early model GPS for several years now. So the yardage is approximate. On my regular course I don't need it but feel it gives me an edge. On a course I'm not familar with I would need it. I'm a "feel" player with respect to grip, stance, swingplane etc however.

Note: This thread is 4777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!