IGNORED

PING - Tell Me About your Pings

Note: This thread is 3253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was a Ping staff member in the 70's and 80's and the Best set of irons I ever played were Ping Eyes(not Eye2). I found a set on eBay over the winter and I am going to reshaft them soon. I am too old and my bad hands won't let me hit stiff steel shafts anymore.

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Originally Posted by schlebrock

I've played the eye2's, Zing2's, ISI's, i5's, S58's, i10's, G10's, i15's and now the Ansers.

All were good clubs but the i15's and Ansers are my favorites. I think both sets offer a great blend of accuracy, playability and forgiveness. If you want to save some money, try the i15's. If money isn't an object and you want that forged feel, try the Ansers.

There really is no wrong answer when dealing with Ping irons. It just depends on what set fits you best.

Hope that helps.

-Schlebrock-

wow, now you've had some PING experience.  i haven't had the chance to swing the Ansers yet but they look amazing.  if they feel half as good as they look, i can definitely see myself getting those clubs.  i also imagine they're the most similar to my 735's and my game.

thanks for the feedback.

callaway.gif FT-i 9*
nike.gif CPR Hybrid 18*
titleist.gif 735cm 3-PW
nike.gif SV 56*, 60*
odyssey.gif White Hot #8 

I got a set of Zing2s back in 1995 or 1996 and until this year they've been my irons.  I absolutely love these things.  They're incredibly forgiving and are durable as hell.  And even though they're my backup set now I still just reshafted and regripped them.

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

I just recently got a set of PING G10's I know they're not the top of the line anymore but they worked really well for me and were in my price range. I am just waiting for the girlfriend to give me her half of the money cause they're my anniversary present. :) But anyways, I was hitting them at the range when trying them out and the ball just soared off the club for me. Very nice flight path and good distance. I was probably hitting the 7 iron around 165-175 atleast. And if I mishit it was around 150 with a very slight fade. It seemed like no matter what the balls just bunched up together. Really nice set of game improvement irons in my opinion.

My first and only set of irons have been the Ping Eye 2's got them when I was a sophomore in high school and 5 years later I still love them.  They feel great and perform like new.  I play alot of rounds and I don't see bad wear on them.  But then again I take care of them very well.  I plan on playing these until they literally break or until I become a millionaire where I can buy every set out there.  The only other set of irons I have hit and liked are the Mizuno mp 58's.  I hit them in GG and they felt just like my eye 2's.

Playing old Pings is cool, just make sure you have a new ball

In my Ogio bag:
Ping B60 Isoforce,

2 Rusty Callaway wedges w/riffle 6.0,

Ping ISI BeCu w/riffle 6.0,
Callaway Heavenwood 3,

Callaway Big Bertha 4 wood,

and a Ping G10 driver!

I played Ping Eye 2's for over 20 years.

Now I have Ping G10's and they are great.

I've just recently bought Ping Tour-W wedges. 60-08, 56-10 and 52-12.

I'll let you know about them when I get a chance to hit 'em.

They feel really good to me.

Bought my first set of Pings in 1988 - Ping Eyes...Have since had Ping ISI, Ping ISI Nickel, Ping I 5's, Ping S-58's, Ping I 10's, Ping I 15's and currently Ping S-56's.  I am a ping guy.  Tried some different irons this year before buying the S-56's and decided I am a Ping guy...23 years and counting.

I play with a set of Ping I-10's 3-PW, the only thing I'd take back in making the purchase is putting out the money for the 2 iron as well.  Like somebody said earlier they're coming out with new models so fast now that i'm SOL cause I can't find one (white dot) anywhere.....I guess that comes with the territory when you're shopping on a discount budget.  I've only been playing for 3 years now but the set I started w/ (donated from a friend) just felt awkward so I coughed up and got some fitted.  Fitting went well and the more I play the more I fall in love with them.  I'm finally at a point where I feel comfortable trying to shape a shot or too and haven't had any trouble other than operator error.  All i can say is that even though my lack of funds has passed these will stay in the bag for many years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought and played different clubs but I have always gone back to my Pings.

Still have my old set of PingEye2s black dot.  Although I did reshaft them (5 years ago) and went graphite (tipped between stiff/regular).  I always found myself coming back to the pings.  Whilst you chaps may have upgraded, I chose to stay with my Ping Eye 2s.  The only things that really change in my bag are my woods.  Right now playing with my reliable Titles 983K and a Sonartec NP-22 3 wood.

Have to say though the prospect of custom clubs do .... interest me :D

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

Pings are a good buy if you find a good price on them :D Honestly though I dont think Ping has fallen out of favor I just think that since their designs are so classical and simple that many people just Keep their clubs longer. I have a Ping Rapture 3 wood from 2006 and I recently swung a G15 3 wood at GolfSmith's shop in NYC and I almost couldn't tell the difference. In my opinion once you get comfortable with Ping clubs they make it very very easy to stay with them  becuase getting a newer model is not as much of change. When my 2006 ping gets real beat up I can tell you I intend to upgrade it to another Ping 3 Wood.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

I've played a few Pings, ISIs, i3Blades (current), i10s that were too upright, and S57s that had the wrong shaft (I wasn't set up to do my own clubs back then, so traded a lot).

Recently tried the S56s and Ansers at a local demo day, and really liked the S56s. The Ansers are a mid(?) size head, I prefer a smaller blade, but don't play bad at all.

But, the S56 really didn't perform any better than my old i3 Blades, so I currently don't feel the need to upgrade yet. Maybe in a few years when I can buy them used (read cheaper) on Ebay?  :)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

When I bought my PingEye2s.  The cheapest price was around $25/iron.  Price is still about the same.  Just make sure the grooves are clean and they give a little spit and polish to the clubs you buy otherwise... lowball the price.

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

• 1 month later...

Update: My i3s have been relegated to 'backup' status.

Found a very nice set of S57s on Ebay and just fired my low round of the year last Sunday.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

i3 Blades are awesome! Have played those for the last 9 years and just treated myself to some 20 year old Mizuno blades... Traitor haha But seriously, the i3 blades go very cheap on eBay and I well recommend them

I have the G2s but looking to upgrade to the G10/G15 soon. Anyway, I love them. Very forgiving and feel.

In The Bag:
Driver: 
 RBZ 10.5*
3 Wood:  RBZ 15 *
Hybrids G15 17* & 20*
Irons​ G2 4-UW 
Wedges:  Vokey 54*
Putter:  MC-03w
Balls:  PD Soft

Note: This thread is 3253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!