IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

Recently, I injured my right shoulder picking up a glass of water on my night stand. I just picked it up wrong. Bad me. Rotator cuff injury. It sucks. Also another time I tore the lateral meniscus in my right knee while vacuuming my living room. Injuries can happen not having anything to do with the sport you're engaged in.

I remember spraining my back a couple decades ago adjusting the position of some water bottles in my garage. 2 weeks earlier I took a 75 foot fall (150 total feet below the gear that zippered out) on Washington Column (Forgot the 5.10 A2 name of the climb?) in Yosemite without any issues. Funny how that happens. . .

Just told everyone I took a fall in Yosemite.

Back on topic. Dan might get to a 2-3 handicap again? I agree that he does not appear to have the talent to get much better than that. The vast majority of the scratch players I know are much larger, not necessarily in height but in musculature. They look a lot stronger than Dan.

You've said this many times before. We got the point!

Rickie Fowler, Charles Howell III, Luke Donald.

The exceptions, but not the rule. You also forgot Rory.

Hideki Matsuyama, Dufner (apres weight loss), Tim Clark, Ryo Ishikawa, Ryuji Imada, Matteo Manassero, Mike Weir. Kevin Na, Charl Schwartzel.

Of all the obstacles faced, his physicality, is nowhere near the top of the list imho.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Yeah, you're right: it's really flattened out. He was about a 6 late in 2013. Guess I was the one with the cruddy memory! Sorry. (Though it was late 2013, and it's still early 2015 :D).

I think his ceiling is scratch, and I made the offer I made to him that I made because I think I could get him awfully close to that after the two months I offered to spend with him sunk in a bit (i.e. he'd learn a lot in the two months, and then a bit later it'd actually be "learned" and he could do it subconsciously.

:bugout: Beyond impressed, but I believe you also, it's just I know those last few strokes from a 5 down to 0 are some of the hardest to get past. What would be one of the first things you would want to do with his swing from the little you have seen?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

Recently, I injured my right shoulder picking up a glass of water on my night stand. I just picked it up wrong. Bad me. Rotator cuff injury. It sucks. Also another time I tore the lateral meniscus in my right knee while vacuuming my living room. Injuries can happen not having anything to do with the sport you're engaged in.

I remember spraining my back a couple decades ago adjusting the position of some water bottles in my garage. 2 weeks earlier I took a 75 foot fall (150 total feet below the gear that zippered out) on Washington Column (Forgot the 5.10 A2 name of the climb?) in Yosemite without any issues. Funny how that happens. . .

Just told everyone I took a fall in Yosemite.

Back on topic. Dan might get to a 2-3 handicap again? I agree that he does not appear to have the talent to get much better than that. The vast majority of the scratch players I know are much larger, not necessarily in height but in musculature. They look a lot stronger than Dan.

You've said this many times before. We got the point!

Rickie Fowler, Charles Howell III, Luke Donald.

The exceptions, but not the rule. You also forgot Rory.

Hideki Matsuyama, Dufner (apres weight loss), Tim Clark, Ryo Ishikawa, Ryuji Imada, Matteo Manassero, Mike Weir. Kevin Na.

Wait. . ., all these guys you're mentioning are 3-4" taller and stronger looking than Dan. Sure, Ryuji is probably close, but he's one person out of the 8 or more you quoted.

But that's not exactly what I was getting at, all I can say is if he does make scratch he would be one of the exceptional scratch golfers. He would stick out in a crowd of other scratch golfers as the "smaller" one.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Wait. . ., all these guys you're mentioning are 3-4" taller and stronger looking than Dan. Sure, Ryuji is probably close, but he's one person out of the 8 or more you quoted.

But that's not exactly what I was getting at, all I can say is if he does make scratch he would be one of the exceptional scratch golfers. He would stick out in a crowd of other scratch golfers as the "smaller" one.

Respectfully disagree don't look that much stronger. Again, size is way down on list in importance w/resp to his situation imho. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. And stop mentioning his size! We know, we know what you think!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
Quote:

Respectfully disagree don't look that much stronger. Again, size is way down on list in importance w/resp to his situation imho. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. And stop mentioning his size! We know, we know what you think!

I'm not sure I actually think what you think I think, if that makes any sense? I'm the last person to put someone down because I think they are "too small" or "weak" for something. I'm not the biggest person in the world either. . .I was merely reacting to the fact that Dan himself mentioned that he is 5'9" 150 pounds at one point in his blog, and I don't think he's as big as he's making himself out to be. This added to the fact that he is stating that he has the latent talent to become one of the best golfers in the world by just doing 10,000 hours of deliberate practice***. I felt it needed to be pointed out.

Please don't take offense to my statements, I'm not intentionally writing this stuff just to offend you.

Plus, I did mention that his making a 2-3 handicap is already an impressive feat, which to me is being an expert. He did it in 2013, which is about 2-3 years into his program. However, I doubt that he will get to consistent scratch, much less better than scratch.

***BTW, the "5 minutes a day of focused practice" we are all committing to do this month is very productive. If we all did 10,000 hours of it, we could all be pretty good. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
Quote:

I'm not sure I actually think what you think I think, if that makes any sense? I'm the last person to put someone down because I think they are "too small" or "weak" for something. I'm not the biggest person in the world either. . .I was merely reacting to the fact that Dan himself mentioned that he is 5'9" 150 pounds at one point in his blog, and I don't think he's as big as he's making himself out to be. This added to the fact that he is stating that he has the latent talent to become one of the best golfers in the world by just doing 10,000 hours of deliberate practice***. I felt it needed to be pointed out.

Please don't take offense to my statements, I'm not intentionally writing this stuff just to offend you.

Plus, I did mention that his making a 2-3 handicap is already an impressive feat, which to me is being an expert. He did it in 2013, which is about 2-3 years into his program. However, I doubt that he will get to consistent scratch, much less better than scratch.

***BTW, the "5 minutes a day of focused practice" we are all committing to do this month is very productive. If we all did 10,000 hours of it, we could all be pretty good. . .

No offense taken. For from it. Again, I just don't think his size is a factor.

One more: :-D

Quote:
Justin Thomas is averaging right at 300 yards a drive in his rookie year on the PGA Tour.

But he wasn't always this long a hitter. Far from it.

''He would call from an AJGA tournament and I'd say, 'What's the number?' And he'd say it was six,'' said his father, Mike Thomas, a former PGA of America director and the longtime pro at Harmony Landing outside Louisville, Kentucky.

'

'That was the number of holes he couldn't reach.''

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/donald-among-bubble-boys-summer-opens-around-corner/

Steve

One more:

Very funny, but Dan is not 5'10".

I mis-worded my comment above. It should read "wimpy" not "smaller". :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3042#post_1142379"]   No offense taken. For from it. Again, I just don't think his size is a factor.  One more:  :-D [/QUOTE] Very funny, but Dan is not 5'10". I mis-worded my comment above. It should read "wimpy" not "smaller". :-D

What does wimpy even mean? Because of some changing amorphous definition of a person's traits whom you've never seen IRL, you've determined it precludes his goal from being achieved? Justin Leonard, Mark Wilson, Bud Cauley.

Steve

Quote:

Quote:

One more:

I mis-worded my comment above. It should read "wimpy" not "smaller".

What does wimpy even mean? Because of some changing amorphous definition of a person's traits whom you've never seen IRL, you've determined it precludes his goal from being achieved?

Justin Leonard, Mark Wilson, Bud Cauley.

Actually, IDK what "wimpy" really means, so I just looked it up . Seems appropriate when talking about Dan and golf swing in the same sentence. :whistle:

However, he clearly hits solid shots, otherwise he would not be a 5HC. However, I can't really put a definition to what I think as compared to people with whom I play daily or weekly (not weakly). You are correct that I shouldn't be so quick to judge someone I've never actually met.

In fact, to be honest, I thought my swing was wimpy for the longest time (and it was), and never thought I could ever hit a solid shot until I started hitting them. So, who knows? He might have the talent to get to scratch. I still say that he would be an exception to the rule. It would be like me getting to scratch. While possible, I give it a much slimmer chance than a 16 year old with lots of strength and flexibility. That would be roughly speaking a slightly larger "snowball's chance in hell".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3042#post_1142409"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3030#post_1142398"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3042#post_1142379"]   No offense taken. For from it. Again, I just don't think his size is a factor.  One more:  :-D [/QUOTE] Very funny, but Dan is not 5'10". I mis-worded my comment above. It should read "wimpy" not "smaller". :-D [/QUOTE] What does wimpy even mean? Because of some changing amorphous definition of a person's traits whom you've never seen IRL, you've determined it precludes his goal from being achieved? Justin Leonard, Mark Wilson, Bud Cauley.[/QUOTE] Actually, IDK what "wimpy" really means, so I just [URL=http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/wimpy]looked it up[/URL]. Seems appropriate when talking about Dan and golf swing in the same sentence. :whistle: However, he clearly hits solid shots, otherwise he would not be a 5HC. However, I can't really put a definition to what I think as compared to people with whom I play daily or weekly (not weakly). You are correct that I shouldn't be so quick to judge someone I've never actually met. In fact, to be honest, I thought my swing was wimpy for the longest time (and it was), and never thought I could ever hit a solid shot until I started hitting them. So, who knows? He might have the talent to get to scratch. I still say that he would be an exception to the rule. It would be like me getting to scratch. While possible, I give it a much slimmer chance than a 16 year old with lots of strength and flexibility. That would be roughly speaking a slightly larger "snowball's chance in hell".

We've been going in circles and I respectfully disagree and a search on this thread revealed you used wimpy 7 different times before. You've made your point. You think shorter/skinnier/whatever a wimpy swing is is a major barrier to being scratch. Me, no. Done. It's on record. Let's move on to something new.

Steve

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3030#post_1142426"][QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3042#post_1142409"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3030#post_1142398"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3042#post_1142379"]   No offense taken. For from it. Again, I just don't think his size is a factor.  One more:  :-D [/QUOTE] Very funny, but Dan is not 5'10". I mis-worded my comment above. It should read "wimpy" not "smaller". :-D [/QUOTE] What does wimpy even mean? Because of some changing amorphous definition of a person's traits whom you've never seen IRL, you've determined it precludes his goal from being achieved? Justin Leonard, Mark Wilson, Bud Cauley.[/QUOTE] Actually, IDK what "wimpy" really means, so I just [URL=http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/wimpy]looked it up[/URL]. Seems appropriate when talking about Dan and golf swing in the same sentence. :whistle: However, he clearly hits solid shots, otherwise he would not be a 5HC. However, I can't really put a definition to what I think as compared to people with whom I play daily or weekly (not weakly). You are correct that I shouldn't be so quick to judge someone I've never actually met. In fact, to be honest, I thought my swing was wimpy for the longest time (and it was), and never thought I could ever hit a solid shot until I started hitting them. So, who knows? He might have the talent to get to scratch. I still say that he would be an exception to the rule. It would be like me getting to scratch. While possible, I give it a much slimmer chance than a 16 year old with lots of strength and flexibility. That would be roughly speaking a slightly larger "snowball's chance in hell".

We've been going in circles and I respectfully disagree and a search on this thread revealed you used wimpy 7 different times before. You've made your point. You think shorter/skinnier/whatever a wimpy swing is is a major barrier to being scratch. Me, no. Done. It's on record. Let's move on to something new.[/quote] I never once said it was impossible, just not the standard. Look, my son was shorter and skinnier than Dan, but did not have a "wimpy" swing. I'm not short and skinny and did have a "wimpy" swing. We're going around in circles because you keep stating things about me that are not correct, and I've attempted to correct. We can move on when you respectfully disagree without accusing me of such nonsense.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

@iacas any updates on your offer? has he still not contacted you about it?

No updates. No contact.

We're going around in circles because you keep stating things about me that are not correct, and I've attempted to correct. We can move on when you respectfully disagree without accusing me of such nonsense.

How about you both just say you misunderstood each other and move on now? Okay? Good. Thank you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One more:

I mis-worded my comment above. It should read "wimpy" not "smaller".

What does wimpy even mean? Because of some changing amorphous definition of a person's traits whom you've never seen IRL, you've determined it precludes his goal from being achieved?

Justin Leonard, Mark Wilson, Bud Cauley.

Actually, IDK what "wimpy" really means, so I just looked it up. Seems appropriate when talking about Dan and golf swing in the same sentence.

However, he clearly hits solid shots, otherwise he would not be a 5HC. However, I can't really put a definition to what I think as compared to people with whom I play daily or weekly (not weakly). You are correct that I shouldn't be so quick to judge someone I've never actually met.

In fact, to be honest, I thought my swing was wimpy for the longest time (and it was), and never thought I could ever hit a solid shot until I started hitting them. So, who knows? He might have the talent to get to scratch. I still say that he would be an exception to the rule. It would be like me getting to scratch. While possible, I give it a much slimmer chance than a 16 year old with lots of strength and flexibility. That would be roughly speaking a slightly larger "snowball's chance in hell".

We've been going in circles and I respectfully disagree and a search on this thread revealed you used wimpy 7 different times before. You've made your point.

You think shorter/skinnier/whatever a wimpy swing is is a major barrier to being scratch. Me, no. Done. It's on record.

Let's move on to something new.

I never once said it was impossible, just not the standard.

Look, my son was shorter and skinnier than Dan, but did not have a "wimpy" swing. I'm not short and skinny and did have a "wimpy" swing.

We're going around in circles because you keep stating things about me that are not correct, and I've attempted to correct. We can move on when you respectfully disagree without accusing me of such nonsense.

I didn't say impossible. Impossible <> major barrier if that's what you're thinking.

If I implied you thought the degree to which physicality and being a good golfer is more strongly correlated than you actually meant, that's my misunderstanding and it's on me.

Steve

I didn't say impossible. Impossible major barrier if that's what you're thinking.

If I implied you thought the degree to which physicality and being a good golfer is more strongly correlated than you actually meant, that's my misunderstanding and it's on me.

I think @iacas is right.

More than likely, I'm just not conveying what I am thinking very well, and looking like a "bully" type of person. This was, obviously, not my intent. :~(

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Oh good, you two :-* and made up. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think the physicality is a legitimate factor to discuss in that it could be an additional hurdle to overcome to reach his goal, but by no means an absolute road-block. It's just an added difficulty factor that he might have to compensate for (relative to lower handicaps) with standout skill in another area - like 'Little Poison' Paul Runyan.

Rory's 5'9' as well, but has soccer player / sprinter / rower legs and a rock-solid core.

Kevin

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3042#post_1142372"]   I'm not sure I actually think what you think I think, if that makes any sense? I'm the last person to put someone down because I think they are "too small" or "weak" for something. I'm not the biggest person in the world either. . .I was merely reacting to the fact that Dan himself mentioned that he is 5'9" 150 pounds at one point in his blog, and I don't think he's as big as he's making himself out to be. This added to the fact that he is stating that he has the latent talent to become one of the best golfers in the world by just doing 10,000 hours of deliberate practice***. I felt it needed to be pointed out. Please don't take offense to my statements, I'm not intentionally writing this stuff just to offend you. Plus, I did mention that his making a 2-3 handicap is already an impressive feat, which to me is being an expert. He did it in 2013, which is about 2-3 years into his program. However, I doubt that he will get to consistent scratch, much less better than scratch. ***BTW, the "5 minutes a day of focused practice" we are all committing to do this month is very productive. If we all did 10,000 hours of it, we could all be pretty good. . . [/QUOTE] I think the physicality is a legitimate factor to discuss in that it could be an additional hurdle to overcome to reach his goal, but by no means an absolute road-block. It's just an added difficulty factor that he might have to compensate for (relative to lower handicaps) with standout skill in another area - like 'Little Poison' Paul Runyan. Rory's 5'9' as well, but has soccer player / sprinter / rower legs and a rock-solid core.

Definitely work out is my opinion, but get the swing right is A # 1. He could work out. Judging by his build, he's not or just in maintenance mode.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!