IGNORED

40/60 putting stroke

Note: This thread is 4778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was listening to the golf channel. Not the golf fix show, but the one with the English guy, can't remember the show name. But he was talking about putting, and he believed in pulling the clubhead through the ball. That is, its easier to pull a mass than push one. Thats why cars pull trailers and not push them, basic concept is that the clubhead will just follow the hands. But to do that you got to make sure your got a bit more speed in the forward stroke with your hands. So he said you should putt with the idea that you go 40% back and 60% forward. That is if your putter stroke moves a total of 10 inches, not from the ball, but from the back of the backstroke to the stop of the forward stroke, that you take the club back 4 inches, and it will go 6 inches past the ball.

I tried this out yesterday, and my speed and contact was substantially better, i found the stroke more stable. I also like this idea because it make sure you don't slow down into the ball, your going to be commited knowing you got to go longer in the forward stroke.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Martin Hall.   I think it's good advice, make sure you don't decel going through. Probably helps make more consistent roll, as well, so long as you don't make an abrupt move, just to ensure you are taking a longer follow-through.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Martin Hall. I think it's good advice, make sure you don't decel going through. Probably helps make more consistent roll, as well, so long as you don't make an abrupt move, just to ensure you are taking a longer follow-through.

Uh oh! We're going to disagree again Harmonious. :-)

I wouldn't ever teach anyone to feel that they're decelerating at impact, but the truth of the matter is that the best putters in the world reach maximum speed at the ball or slightly before the ball. Freaky, I know...

They're called Acceleration Profiles (and other things) and essentially there are a few different kinds of strokes, but the best ones are technically decelerating slightly at impact. It's not something you'd necessarily teach , because people will slow down too early, but the idea of "accelerating through the ball" is not the best putting tip.

I fear that's what Martin's 40/60 tip might lead to...

I know of a good video that talks about the stuff above. When I find it, I'll post it here.

In general, though, a stroke that's fairly even back and through and reaches max speed "at" the ball is ideal, with the latter being the far more important of the two.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
They're called Acceleration Profiles (and other things) and essentially there are a few different kinds of strokes, but the best ones are technically decelerating slightly at impact. It's not something you'd necessarily teach , because people will slow down too early, but the idea of "accelerating through the ball" is not the best putting tip.

Well i think the answer to the slight slow down is probably touch, i think its pretty much out of the players mind that they do it.

Well, i was doing the 60/40 not because of deacceleration, but because it kept my putter more on the arc i wanted. I felt like it was a more solid hit. But i made the claim because it seemed like another valid reason why 60/40 might be a good idea. But the main point is that doing it that way caused you to pull the clubhead instead of push it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator

Originally Posted by iacas

I know of a good video that talks about the stuff above. When I find it, I'll post it here.

The relevant section starts at just past 4:00.

The worst putting profile is the first. The best is the third (even stroke length on both sides). #4 is "okay" and #5 less okay, but both #4 and #5 are better than #1 or #2.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting, i like the descriptions of the different profiles, very informative.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 4778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!