IGNORED

High fps video cameras and memory card classes

Note: This thread is 4814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Those of you with the Casios and other high speed video cameras in your P&S; or DSLR, what class SD card do you use and which class do you recommend? Or can you post the card you got and its performance? Thanks.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You need at least class 6. I got a class 6, 8 GB Kodak at Office Max/Depot (can't remember which) for $40, though they can be had cheaper online.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm using this one.

102355848-260x260-0-0_SanDisk+SanDisk+8GB+SDHC+Extreme+III+Class+6+Secur.jpg

I have however experimented with a Twinmos 8GB Class 2 and didn't find anything the card couldn't take. I shot Full HD, high speed video, the card ate it all. I don't know what to make from that.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

This I what I have:

22433403i_01.jpg

Here is a video I took with a Class 4 memory card:

And here is one with the Class 6 memory card that I posted above:

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Are those two videos with the same camera settings Jamo?

Anyone know what exactly happens if you got a memory card that is too slow? Will the camera just stop recording, or record in poorer quality?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Anyone know what exactly happens if you got a memory card that is too slow? Will the camera just stop recording, or record in poorer quality?

well the first video he took, there isnt enough light in the room, its indoors so thats mainly the reason why it looks so poor of quality. The judder in the first video is from a slow card. If the card is too slow, you will get some judder, wont have as many fps recorded even if you have it on 240fps and the quality might be a little lower.

I can understand jitter being an issue with slower cards, but I shouldn't think it would affect the picture quality. Indoor lighting definitely hurt the quality, but I don't think those two videos are with the same settings. They can't be, seeing as they are in different aspect ratios.

I'll try to record some videos tomorrow with my Class 6 and Class 2 cards, see what happens.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Same camera setting yes (same aspect ratio also...), but the lighting is drastically different. A more accurate comparison would be the first one in my above post to this one:

Same building, two days apart, only a couple of hitting bays away. It was inside though, so the lighting is not great. Lower lighting is going to bring down the quality of the video, but a slower card should only make is choppy, not lower quality. I should have used this comparison all along, I just wanted to use a bit better swing of mine. Sorry. :-)

In my bag:

Won't the camera adjust ISO and stuff automatically? Obviously the same settings won't work indoor as outdoor. You need a higher ISO in a darker environment, shutter speed must be lower.

I use a class 10 card by Transcend, 8 GB

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-SDHC-Card-TS8GSDHC10/dp/B002WE6D44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1303925179&sr;=8-2

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

I use a class 10 card by Transcend, 8 GB

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-SDHC-Card-TS8GSDHC10/dp/B002WE6D44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1303925179&sr;=8-2

yea but even though that is a class 10 card it only has a 20MB/s read speed

This is what I find confusing about the class ratings. Different speeds associated with the same class. Manufacturers gaming their numbers to make their product more than it is.

In B&H;, I saw a bunch of models for 10, 20, 30 mb/s. So what is class 6, 20 mb/s? The official SD card consortium website doesn't even have a table listed.

Off topic, my Casio P&S; lens is opening, making some awful clicking noises and then closes. It won't stay open.

Any suggestions before I send it back to Casio? I looked for particles, couldn't find any. The camera was recently jostled alot in a bag, but my Nikon P&S; handled lots of jostling without any problems.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by nevets88

This is what I find confusing about the class ratings. Different speeds associated with the same class. Manufacturers gaming their numbers to make their product more than it is.

In B&H;, I saw a bunch of models for 10, 20, 30 mb/s. So what is class 6, 20 mb/s? The official SD card consortium website doesn't even have a table listed.

Off topic, my Casio P&S; lens is opening, making some awful clicking noises and then closes. It won't stay open.

Any suggestions before I send it back to Casio? I looked for particles, couldn't find any. The camera was recently jostled alot in a bag, but my Nikon P&S; handled lots of jostling without any problems.

sounds like somethings broken in the zoom. These cameras are kinda fragile, I had my casio 25 for a couple months and it fell over on the tripod probably a little above knee high onto grass and wouldnt work anymore. Got a new one on warranty

Speed Class says something about the minimum write speed, nothing about read speed.

Class 2: 2 MB/s

Class 4: 4 MB/s

Class 6: 6 MB/s

Class 10: 10 MB/s

Originally Posted by motteler621

yea but even though that is a class 10 card it only has a 20MB/s read speed

Only? It's my understanding that a 20MB/s read speed is enough. The important factor is write speed anyways.

Could the low read speed have anything to do with the fact that it's a Transcend?

In my bag:

Originally Posted by motteler621

sounds like somethings broken in the zoom. These cameras are kinda fragile, I had my casio 25 for a couple months and it fell over on the tripod probably a little above knee high onto grass and wouldnt work anymore. Got a new one on warranty

Too bad. Maybe Casio's are more subject to damage?

I dropped my Canon P&S;, one of the first digicams, so maybe tougher, and I dropped it on concrete and it still works to this day.

I had the Casio for a couple of days and it worked. I put it in a camera case in a bag and it was jostled around a bit - shouldn't be that much a problem. My 2 year old Nikon endured the same jostling, no problem. Maybe I got a lemon.

Steve

Note: This thread is 4814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!