IGNORED

New grips for 2011 and beyond...

Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

My 5W and my entire iron set are currently gripped with the old Lamkin Torsion Controls... they were an amazing grip, but wore out quickly. After 2 years with them, the thumb and finger wear has gotten to the point where the grips are uncomfortable, and I can't find anywhere that's selling any NOS after Lamkin pulled the grips from the market.

I am a semi-avid golfer, and definitely better with the irons than any other club in my bag. I don't swing very hard (160-yard 7 iron?), and I really like how the Torsion Controls felt and how they gave me feedback.

Can anyone recommend me a good, solid grip for my irons, based off what I've said? I would prefer to stay away from Winn grips and from Wrap-style grips, I have never really been a fan. Wet weather performance is not as important as it one was, but in the odd event that I get stuck in a surprise storm, I'd like the grips to offer some grip still.

I've been eyeing these grips, hoping that my course at home has them so I can get a feel before buying:

- Lamkin REL 3Gen

- Lamkin NDur 3Gen

- Golf Pride VDR

I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks!

I just sent my clubs into my pro shop to get new grips put on. I ended up with Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compounds. I also liked the VDRs though. The new decades were a little tackier though. The VDRs seem to be nice grips.

Bag: Callaway Org 14 Extreme Cart Bag
Driver: Taylormade R9 460 10.5
Woods: Nike SQ 3 Wood
Hybrids: Walter Hagen AWS 3 Hybrid
Irons: Callaway Diablo Edge 4-AWWedges:Wedges: Cleveland CG12 56 and 60Putter: Nike Method 001:Ball: Bridgestone Tour B33-RX and Nike One Vapor

I have the MultiCompound half-cords on my driver and wedges. I like how they feel on those clubs, but I don't think they would fit the feel of my irons too well.

Is the non-cord version softer and tackier, as opposed to the firm, more harsh grip of the half-cord?

When I purchased my Scratch wedges they came with Pure Grips ("pure pro") and I immediately loved the soft but firm feel, and the texture.

I just reshafted my irons and was looking for a Pure Grips reseller here in Japan but it's not distributed here unfortunately. So I initially considered going with the GP New Decade MultiCompound, but tried their new VDR grips, and they feel somewhat close to the feel of the Pure Grips, so I got them on the new shafts. They feel tacky but not too much, soft feel but not spongy. I do not know about their longevity yet obviously.

I'd recommend you give the Pure Grips a try, they are really awesome. I believe iacas reviewed them on this site a couple of years ago, if you need a more qualified and thorough review.

cheers

I have GP multicompounds corded on everything but my wedges, which have VDR midsize. When comparing, the multicompounds are much firmer than the VDR. I was actually surprised how soft the VDRs felt the first time I used them.

I don't know anything about the pure pros, but when I look at pictures it looks like the NDur is similar. Personally I find that the NDur and REL seem thick; they feel almost as think in a standard as my midsize multicompounds.

In my sunmountain.gif bag:
Driver  cleveland.gif  '09 Launcher 9* with Fit-On M Red X
Hybrids:  titleist.gif  585.H 21* with YS-6+ S, 585.H 17* with NVS Aldila X
Irons:  callaway.gif  Tour Authentic X-Prototype 4-PW with X100
Wedges:  callaway.gif  X Series Jaws 52*, 56*, 60*Putter:  callaway.gif  Tour Blue TT2Range Finder:  bushnell.gif  1500 TE

I play Lamkin Crossline Full Cord grips on all my clubs but putter(Scotty Cameron Baby-T) They offer superior control, all weather performance, and great durability.

titleist.gif 910 D2 9.5* Aldila RIP 70titleist.gif906F2 15* Fujikura Speeder
titleist.gif ZM 3-P DG S300titleist.gifAP2 2iron Project X 6.0
titleist.gif 200:52.08 DG S300  SM 56.11 Project X 6.0  SM 60.07 DG S300 
                  cameron.gif California Series  Del Mar

I have played Crosslines before and I actually wasn't as much of a fan as everyone else seemed to be.

From what I'm hearing, I'll definitely have to give the VDRs a feel, followed possibly by the NDurs.

Anyone else have input?

I enjoy my Pure grips .

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i still have a 15 of original standard green Torsion Control grips as well as 8 of the standard blue/black if yer interested. $5 each plus actual shipping.

brad

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

I put on the Mid-size VDR's a month ago and am liking them a lot. They are a nice grip for the price.

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

I loved the Lamkin crosslines better than GP Tour velvet.  Tried the GP multi-compound when it came out but just didn't do it for me.  That led me to try out the crossline cords for a year.  Started out alright, but didn't wear to become super grippy and tacky like the normal crosslines did.  I've still got the 3gen Performance Plus grips on from mid-last year and they stay playable for a very long time.  I like the feel at impact but to me there's a bit too much surface area and not enough tread pattern for your hands to sink into.  Did a recent experiment with 2 of my putters and put on a normal grip and used the new R.E.L 3 gen.  I think those are my favorite.  The surface pattern is much more heavily perforated so there is more tread for your hands to sink into.  It most resembled the old crossline that got me interested in Lamkin grips and I like that 3gen material as it's stayed pretty lively on those grips that I have on now.  I practice fairly consistently, as in at least 3 range sessions a week (150 balls) with at least 9 holes once a week minimum, but I'm out there whenever I have a chance.  I really like these new R.E.L grips and will probably outfit my whole set when my current ones all go bad.  If you like that tready feel, I'd definitely recommend them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by imtomtomim

[...] Did a recent experiment with 2 of my putters and put on a normal grip and used the new R.E.L 3 gen.  I think those are my favorite.  The surface pattern is much more heavily perforated so there is more tread for your hands to sink into.  It most resembled the old crossline that got me interested in Lamkin grips and I like that 3gen material as it's stayed pretty lively on those grips that I have on now.  I practice fairly consistently, as in at least 3 range sessions a week (150 balls) with at least 9 holes once a week minimum, but I'm out there whenever I have a chance.  I really like these new R.E.L grips and will probably outfit my whole set when my current ones all go bad.  If you like that tready feel, I'd definitely recommend them.

Sweet, thanks. Hopefully my local clubs will have them in stock so I can feel them.

Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!