IGNORED

Are putter covers worth the hassle?

JerseyThursday
Note: This thread is 4715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use a magnetic one more to protect the other clubs in my bad than the putter itself.... My last putter took a nasty gash out of my 8 iron shaft (graphite) and I've use one ever since...

Heck the cover actaully cost more than the putter! Putter = $20 and Cover = $24.95

Have to agree that the velco ones are a PITA but the magnetic ones work fine and are easy to use...

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

I use mine, both because it protects the other clubs from the putter and as the mnemonic like Fourputt and others describe.  If the ball is on the green, I usually just set the cover on top of the bag, but if I bring a wedge with me, I leave the cover on until I actually putt, then put the wedge on top of or beside the cover.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by FryemanTX

I feel they are worth the hassle to protect the investment, I do not replace the cover on my driver though since it does not get hit by any of my other clubs. Some of those collector covers on eBay are ridiculous but I'm mainly ranting bc I'm jealous and too cheap to spend $100 on a cover.

Same here with regards to the driver. Just seems a bit of a pain removing and replacing the head cover all the time, especially as I'm a beginner and I'm very wary of playing too slow and annoying other golfers.

Plus the driver head is in a position in my bag where it's not in any danger of being bumped by any of the other clubs.

The only reason I'd consider a putter head cover is to protect the shafts of my Woods from the putter head as it does bump them a bit while walking.

Like the OP, I lost my putter cover at some point and never looked back.  I have an odyssey black putter with the magnetic cover, and I'm glad I lost it.  I got tired of putting it back on every single time.

In fact, I lost it once before, but it turned up in the Lost and Found after my round.  I was initially feeling lucky it was found, then I was actually upset they found it once I started my next round.  After I lost it the second time, I was happy to have it gone :)

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I dont find a putter cover to be a hassle at all.  It slips off and then it slips back on after Im done with the hole.

+1 for me. I use the skinny neoprene ones. Comes off and in my hip pocket walking to the putt, and back on on the way to the bag.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First off...the Scotty head covers are collector items, just like baseball cards, stamps, coins, cars etc.   Their inflated value is based on the limited numbers and such, to that point they are only worth what some one will pay.

I use a cover on my Scotty; it is the Velcro type with my college golf logo.  It is the same company that manufactures the Scotty Head covers.  I use it because the alloys are soft and i do not want to damage the face or the top line.

As for the hassle argument...is that not a bit silly?  After all isn’t golf a SPORT????  That's like Payton Manning refusing to use hand signals because it is a hassle to raise his arms!!!!

Come on now...

Originally Posted by Bigtank

That's like Payton Manning refusing to use hand signals because it is a hassle to raise his arms!!!!

Not exactly.
More like Payton Manning not wanting to remove the cellophane wrapper from the football because it might get dirty.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I think of my sticks as a football team. The putter is the field goal kicker.  The rest of the clubs are like the rest of the football team. They get the ball down the field, or golf course, and the putter must make the putt, or kick, to score the points. That being said, I cover the putter...just like football, nobody talks to the kicker during the game, so I cover him so he can't talk to the other clubs.

Just go out and do your job when it's time.

I know, I'm weird...

"Hey! That kangaroo stole my ball!"

In my Ogio Chamber cart bag
Callaway RazrX Black 11.5* Driver, Nike VRPro fairway wood #3 #5, Adams IDEA Tech V3 4H, 5H, 6H, 7-GW, Custom Edel wedges 52*, 58*, Custom Edel Putter

Again I think it is a funny dispute....

Its like racing and fighting for a close parking spot to go in the gym and work out......

Again I think it is a funny dispute....

Its like racing and fighting for a close parking spot to go in the gym and work out......

I think the conversation is funny, but for me it is not a dispute. I am OCD about some of my equipment and use covers, but it doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't. I don't cover the irons on my "Frankenstein" set, and am shopping for a "matching" putter on which I may not use a cover.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I use one all the time.  Except when putting of course.  It honestly isn't a hassle, and it prolongs the beauty of it.  Although some might say that my odyssey sabertooth isn't very easy on the eyes to begin with, I feel that it completes the set when you have headcovers on all your woods & your putter.  I recently lost my 5 wood headcover and ordered another one on ebay just because I wanted my bag to have a neat clean look to it.

In my Titleist Stand Bag

Driver:      Cleveland Launcher DST 9.5*

5 Wood:   Taylor Made Burner 17.5*

Irons:       Taylor Made Burner 09 4-PW, AW                    

Wedges:  2 Cleveland CG14's -- 56* & 60*

Putter:      Odyssey White Hot XG Sabertooth  ball: TP Black LDP

Another point is that head covers are not jut about protecting the head, most protect the shaft from knicks and dings that may affect its performance and potentially lead to breakage.

Another point is that head covers are not jut about protecting the head, most protect the shaft from knicks and dings that may affect its performance and potentially lead to breakage.

I’m not use to grabbing my golf bag and violently shaking it.
I’m more inclined to pick up the stand bag placing the straps across my shoulders and proceeding to the next shot where I set the bag down on its legs.
The one place I could see club damage happening is in riding carts and hitting a lot of pot holes, etc. at a high rate of speed. Also, the infamous forgetting to strap in the bag on the riding cart. It’s an ugly (and embarrassing) sight seeing the bag lying there like a fallen soldier.

I keep a cover on my scotty, but my odyssey roams freely without one.. I figure, I could sell the scotty for $150+ in the future if it looks good. The odyssey might be worth $20.....guess which one gets more bag time lol....not the expensive one.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I use  mine all the time, the only time my putter cover is not on my putter is when I'm using it, the same goes for ALL my clubs.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Wow, even iron covers.
Is your furniture covered in plastic? If so, my Aunt Blanch would be proud.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Wow, even iron covers.

Is your furniture covered in plastic? If so, my Aunt Blanch would be proud.

No, not quite lol. I just can't stand the noise of the clatter the clubs make rattling against each other. The upside is that all my clubs look and feel like new, even though I play 2-3 time a week.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

The putter cover is not a hassle for me.  I like my most used weapon to stay in good shape.  Not to mention that if it had no cover it would probably beat my driver shaft to death in the bag.  Frankly, using one is not that big of a deal.

Note: This thread is 4715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!