IGNORED

Journal - My quest to the 80's - (Continued from the WALL 93-96) thread

Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

good thread. Had alot of fun reading it. Keep up the good work and i also am trying to reach the same goal.

The hardest thing for me to break 90 is the long iron shots. Hitting them consistently and squarely is hard to do(for me). Chipping for me is natural, along with my putting stroke.

Originally Posted by Ctp722

yeah, only problem with uk clubs is memberhsip rarely includes the range balls, they are still to be paid for, and my time is limited as i work ridiculous hours, but i see your point, hopefully ill get there soon!

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

go to the range and hit a 5 iron.  hit it until you hit 9 out of 10 balls with pure contact.

Originally Posted by twilliams16

good thread. Had alot of fun reading it. Keep up the good work and i also am trying to reach the same goal.

The hardest thing for me to break 90 is the long iron shots. Hitting them consistently and squarely is hard to do(for me). Chipping for me is natural, along with my putting stroke.

i havent updated the latest rounds but slowly improving.  shot an 84 twice this week and a 90 at a tough course with tough pins that day.  all in all the short game is saving me and my mid iron striking has been solid.  i have focused on my take away and swing plane.  because my swing plane has become a bit steeper i struggle still with the driver.  im working out the bugs.  chris notices that i tend to get a bit over the top with my driver in the backswing.  it doesnt feel like it but i just have to keep at it.  the driver has slowly been coming along but has a ways to go.  the chipping and putting have really been doing well as i have been practicing them a lot more than hitting the range.

so today was quite a test of confidence in my golf game.  chris and i hit the range prior to going out and when i started hitting i got the shanks and really bad.  i must have hit literally 50 balls with a hard right shank in a row.  i almost broke down and went home.  my confidence was taken to a level of low that i never have hit in golf.  chris convinced me to jump on the course and also gamble with him.  we tend to play match play when we go out with a running tab.  i dont know why i agreed to do so, but i was so out of it i didnt care.  i held on the front 9 with a 46 and took a few holes for the match when needed.  i only hit a couple of those range shanks but still wasnt confident in my swing.  i also put the driver away.  then on the back 9 i had chris pull out a recording of my swing on the iphone and we drew in the plane lines.  i didnt realize i was sweeping to flat off the ball and doing an over the topish swing.  i think thats what was happening at the range but i was able to get it back on plane on the course.  i then did something that really helped.  before i would swing, i would visualize the plane lines and how my take away had to be at the right angle and all of a sudden i was executing.  i ended up shooting a 45 on the back but it was more due to piss poor putting and so-so chipping rather than ball striking.  all in all it was not the normal day at the course for me.  chris really was on fire today.  he leveled out the day with an 82 which was a great round.  his game was on and he was hitting putts.

played tonight and the shanks have disappeared.  thank the golf gods.  im really focusing on the swing plane and looking at videos of my swing when i feel like i might be a bit over the top of too steep.  visualizing the plane and then focusing on it in the back swing really has helped me.  chris and i both shot well.  he had two chip ins and 2 birdies tonight.  i shot an 81 with a 40 and a 41 and he shot an 83 or 84.  it looks like we completed the journal goal but i wont be going after the single digit handicap journal until next season.  i am planning on having a good winter plan to stay in tune.  i think chris or i might be able to squeak out a high 70's round before the season ends, but not enough to have a single digit handicap.  right now we are hovering at that 13.8-14.2 area.  i got a great piece of advice from a 6 handicap the other day.  "dont take doubles".  i looked over my last round that i just shot an 81 with and i had 3 doubles.  thats all it took to put me over.  i am guessing 1 or 2 doubles is ok with an extra par in there but doubles are the killers at where our scores are now.

on another note we looked out chris's swing plane today.  it is crazy flat but he stays on plane.  it is probably why he hits a heavy draw.  it's not a hook but it is a serious draw.  he knows how to play it and aim with it.  my posture is probably more upright than it should be so it makes my plane steep.  i have to get over the ball a bit better at the stance and chris might need to be a little more up right.

played tonight. shot an 86. nothing new to report.  just was a little off on my chips and should have made some more putts.  approaches and tee shots were pretty decent.  i thought i would post something on a side note for golf culture humor.  i think chris should do a top 10 as well because i am sure i missed some good ones.

Top Ten List of Things That Annoy Me On The Course

1. Women that are not Yani Tseng or Paula Creamer and are playing in front of me.  Yani is acceptable due to speed of play and Paula because if I have to wait, I dont mind watching her for 18 holes from the backside.

2. Guys that come out on the golf course for their 4th round of the year with matching shoes, sunglasses, hat, shirt, belt and most likely underwear.  Believe it or not, this does not lower your score.

3. When number 3 is done with the color white, it usually also includes the new white R11 driver.  When someone has this much time to coordinate, this single round out for the year is too important to them and they are what we call "Catalog Golfers". They look like they stepped out of a JCPenny catalog.  The new R11's are nice clubs, but dont match your outfit to them.

4. Ugly Cart Girls

5. Golfers that are not single digit cappers looking at a green from every side when putting.  Do this before it is your turn to putt, not on your turn if you must.

6. Outtings

7. People that blame their clubs for them shooting 100+

8. Fat guys that have made the assumption that people think they are strong and therefor also assume it means they should crush a tee shot.    Even when they do "crush" it, it is 4 fairways over at best.  Not a dig on fat guys, because I do respect a well earned gut.  I know a few fat guys on the course they play a great game but don't they dont associate body weight with driving distance.

9. Ugly Cart Girls

10. Over use of the sayings "hittum straight" or the common variation of "hittum well".

• Upvote 1

1. Taking more shots than double par for weekend warriors. 2. Playing championship tee's and you drive 100 yards. 3. Having a terribly long and exhausting pre shot routine. 4. Screaming fore! For no reason 5. Waiting before shot because "if I hit that one good one it might hit those guys in front of us". Hey dude if you hit the best shot of your life it's not coming within 50 yards of those people. 6. People arguing over how many strokes they shot on the hole. If you get to the hole and can't remember howany strokes it took you to get there. "no I took an 8" two out of the woods 3 out of the sand and 2 putts. Just put that hole out of your mind, it's not going to save your score, lol. 7. Making excuses about your game other than lack of practice. Weather, bad clubs, cheap balls, etc. 8. Everyone that says "but I hit them so good on the range, damn!!" 9. Vanity handicappers that tell the group their handicap for no reason so we can all be impressed that their handicap is a 4 but today they just happen to have an off day at 97. 10. People that refuse to let groups play through. 5.5 hour rounds, and ugly cart girls

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

You guys must have some ugly cart girls on your course.  Until your posts I didn't know they existed.  Most courses I play have girls that look like models in short shorts and tank tops, it's better for business.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The ones at our home course are good. No complaints But they do exist, and they must be stopped
  • Upvote 1

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

Great thread guys! Keep up the nice work. Wish I had the playing time you guys seem to!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Where do you golf?

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You guys must have some ugly cart girls on your course.  Until your posts I didn't know they existed.  Most courses I play have girls that look like models in short shorts and tank tops, it's better for business.

played this weekend.  shot and 89 on friday and got rained out mid round today.  anyone have any good recommendations for swing instruction in new jersey/phila area?

Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!