IGNORED

Red Stakes Rule Question

mdl
Note: This thread is 4390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played a course in CA area years ago that had no marking for flower beds and no local rule. Guy in our group hits into flower bed on the first tee .We asked a starter and he said play them as they lie. The guy plays it -- destroying some sort of exotic flowering plant that would have cost $150 in Chicagoland. I could barley watch. The next year, all beds were granted free relief. Sometimes common sense should be used instead of the rules. Sure, the rules say you can use a wedge on the green and pitch over trouble and take a divot. But don't try it in my 4-some.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Played a course in CA area years ago that had no marking for flower beds and no local rule. Guy in our group hits into flower bed on the first tee .We asked a starter and he said play them as they lie. The guy plays it -- destroying some sort of exotic flowering plant that would have cost $150 in Chicagoland. I could barley watch. The next year, all beds were granted free relief. Sometimes common sense should be used instead of the rules. Sure, the rules say you can use a wedge on the green and pitch over trouble and take a divot. But don't try it in my 4-some.

When you are not playing in an organized competition, you should use good judgment and some common sense.  During casual play, or even with cash on the line within your group, an area which is clearly planted in decorative foliage should be treated as an obstruction from which play is prohibited.  Just decide among you that this is how you'll play it and then don't worry about asking anyone.  Most starters aren't rules gurus anyway, so that is not the best place to go for information.  I know because I am one of the few starters I know who is accomplished in the rules.

In an organized competition, then you go by what the committee says is allowed, and if that means destroying a flower bed, then so be it.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...
Your buddy is wrong. You can play the play from a red staked hazzard(unless local rules don't allow for it), without a penalty stroke, but you cannot ground your club. If you cannot play the ball where it lies, the drop is from where it crossed the hazzard not lateral to where it came to rest!

Originally Posted by Backside Mullig

Your buddy is wrong. You can play the play from a red staked hazzard(unless local rules don't allow for it), without a penalty stroke, but you cannot ground your club. If you cannot play the ball where it lies, the drop is from where it crossed the hazzard not lateral to where it came to rest!

You realize that you just replied to a thread that's a year old?

Rick

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You realize that you just replied to a thread that's a year old?

Better than creating a new one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Better than creating a new one.

My point was that the question had been asked and answered long ago.  He wasn't adding anything new to the discussion, nor was he asking a related question.  That is his only post to date.  Just seems a bit odd is all.

Rick

Note: This thread is 4390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!