IGNORED

Easy tips to help our members spend less time investing and more time out on the golf course

ranjanis
Note: This thread is 4536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sponsored content by The Stock Playbook

Most golfers would agree that positioning is essential to a successful drive.  Investing your money effectively is no different.  How should you position your portfolio to maximize returns?  Many of us either don't know where to start or never have enough time to decipher the markets on a regular basis.  Luckily, TheSandtrap.com has partnered with the perfect caddie to assist our members in navigating the financial markets.

Meet Dave Dispennette – our very own community guru with over 20 years of stock trading expertise, and a track record for driving solid gains.  His daily videos will show us exactly what, where, when, and why to trade.  With just a few minutes a day you can learn enough to poise yourself for exceptional trading results.  He will help us figure out our investments quickly in order to spare us more tee time on the course.

We are excited about this alliance because Dave has agreed to provide TheSandtap.com members with his nightly view of the market for free, including a couple of investment/trading opportunities that are on his radar.  In addition, all TheSandtrap.com members have access to a 14 day cost-free trial of The Stock Playbook’s Premium Product, which retails for $299 per month.  If you find his condensed clips helpful then you will definitely get good use from the full versions.

We hope you find this exclusive series informative, and we encourage you to interact with him in our upcoming series of investor videos.  Feel free to ask questions; Dave (username: StockPlaybook ) will be around to help us get comfortable with taking the reigns of our individual investment strategies.

Thanks again Dave - The Sand Trap welcomes you!  Check out our very first free nightly recap video:

Here is Today's Market Summary:

The market rose for the fourth day straight Tuesday on hopes that a vote of confidence in the Greek government will help the country avoid a default. The Dow rose 109.63, slightly less than 1 percent, to 12,190.01. The S&P; 500 rose 17.16 points, or 1.3 percent, to close at 1295.52, and the Nasdaq climbed 57.60, or 2.2 percent, to 2,687.26.

• Upvote 1

The market dropped on Wednesday after the Federal Reserve cut its forecasts for U.S. economic growth this year and next, without hinting at further plans for stimulus. The Dow slid 80.34 points, or 0.66 percent, to end at 12,109.67. The S&P; 500 fell 8.38 points, or 0.65 percent, to 1,287.14, and the Nasdaq lost 18.07 points, or 0.67 percent, to close at 2,669.19.

• Administrator

Dave, I have a question.

How should someone who knows next to nothing about the stock market get involved? Should they sign up for one of the various "online trading" companies and just buy their own stocks? What type of strategies would you consider safe, medium-risk, and high-risk for the beginner?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The market began with a steep drop and ended with a modest decline on Thursday. A jump in the number of people applying for jobless benefits and plummeting oil prices drove stocks lower at the open with the Dow down 234 points at its low before closing with a loss of 59.67 points, or 0.5 percent, to 12,050. The S&P; 500, down as many as 24 points, closed down just 3.64, or 0.3 percent, to 1,283.50, and the Nasdaq closed up 17.56, or 0.7 percent, to 2,686.75, after being down 42 points.

Originally Posted by iacas

Dave, I have a question.

How should someone who knows next to nothing about the stock market get involved? Should they sign up for one of the various "online trading" companies and just buy their own stocks? What type of strategies would you consider safe, medium-risk, and high-risk for the beginner?

Hi Erik

Thanks for the question - It's a steep learning curve. People who've been trading the markets for
years are having trouble in the current environment. I would not recommend
any of the online trading seminars, most are worthless. I'd recommend a
subscription to Investors Business Daily and The Stock Playbook for a few
months. The cost of the two for a couple of months will be a fraction of
what you will lose if you try to learn on your own without a Playbook (or
game plan, I couldn't resist).

Dave

P.S. If you send me your phone number and a good time to call you, I'll do
my best to contact you and set you on the right path. Good Luck.

The market dropped for a third day on Friday on worries about the Italian banking sector and Greece's debt crisis, but the S&P; 500 managed to hold its 200-day moving average again. The Dow dropped 115.42 points, or 0.96 percent, to 11,934.58. The S&P; 500 fell 15.05 points, or 1.17 percent, to 1,268.45, and the Nasdaq lost 33.86 points, or 1.26 percent, to 2,652.89.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

How much money should you have available to invest if you want to get involved in the stock market? Just curious.

Hi Darkhunter - thanks for your question.

It all depends on what your objectives are. If you're looking to make a
living trading the markets, I'd suggest having at least $100K. If you are
looking to invest in the markets longer term because you're bank won't give
you any return, then I'd say you could start with any amount. I'm assuming
from the question, you've never invested in the markets. With the
proliferation of the internet and online brokerage accounts, it has become
much easier for everyone to tread into the stock market and MUCH CHEAPER.
Back in the day, you probably needed a few thousand dollars to justify the
cost of the brokers commission, but today, you could buy stock for pennies a
share (from a commission standpoint), making it possible to get started (as an investment) with just a few
hundred bucks. But, I'd view your start in the markets as just that, a
beginning to the lifelong journey of navigating the stock market. Just
realize this, the market is filled with sharks and doesn't exist for you to
make money, so when you are just getting started, invest in companies you
know, like and trust, companies like McDonalds, Disney or Home Depot. As you
become more experienced, you could start branching out into hopefully, the
next McDonalds, perhaps a Chipotle Mexican Grill or Imax. Good Luck.

Dave

Originally Posted by StockPlaybook

Hi Darkhunter - thanks for your question.

It all depends on what your objectives are. If you're looking to make a

living trading the markets, I'd suggest having at least $100K. If you are

looking to invest in the markets longer term because you're bank won't give

you any return, then I'd say you could start with any amount. I'm assuming

from the question, you've never invested in the markets. With the

proliferation of the internet and online brokerage accounts, it has become

much easier for everyone to tread into the stock market and MUCH CHEAPER.

Back in the day, you probably needed a few thousand dollars to justify the

cost of the brokers commission, but today, you could buy stock for pennies a

share (from a commission standpoint), making it possible to get started (as an investment) with just a few

hundred bucks. But, I'd view your start in the markets as just that, a

beginning to the lifelong journey of navigating the stock market. Just

realize this, the market is filled with sharks and doesn't exist for you to

make money, so when you are just getting started, invest in companies you

know, like and trust, companies like McDonalds, Disney or Home Depot. As you

become more experienced, you could start branching out into hopefully, the

next McDonalds, perhaps a Chipotle Mexican Grill or Imax. Good Luck.

Dave

what type of return are you projecting based on 100k?

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

what type of return are you projecting based on 100k?

That really depends on your investment objectives and your risk tolerance.

Are you looking to be a active day trader, swing trader, or an investor?

Are you going to use margin?

Are you going to hedge your portfolio against any unforeseen risk with the use of options or futures contracts?

The reality is that all of these questions and more come into play - in our experience, over the last 6 years since we launched The Stock Playbook, our subscribers across the board have averaged about 25% annually.

Now in some years, like in 2008, they made a lot less, and in others like last year, they made a lot more.

As I said before, it all depends on the individuals approach to the market, investment objectives and risk tolerance.

Hope that helps.

Here's Today's Market Summary

The market closed higher on Monday as signs that a widespread European debt crisis could be averted helped send stocks up. The Dow rose 108.98 points, or 0.9 percent, to close at 12,043.56. The S&P; 500 rose 11.65, or 0.9 percent, to 1,280.10, and the Nasdaq climbed 35.39, or 1.3 percent, to 2,688.28.

The market rose on Tuesday, thanks in part to signs that concerns of a global slowdown may be overblown. The Dow gained 145.13 points, or 1.2 percent, to 12,188.69. The S&P; 500 rose 16.57, or 1.3 percent, to 1,296.67, and the Nasdaq climbed 41.03, or 1.5 percent, to 2,729.31.

Can you use the Stock Playbook to pick mutual funds or is it stocks only? If an investor doesn't want to pick stocks, what is your suggestion(s) for those people?

Alan

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by BigAl5150

Can you use the Stock Playbook to pick mutual funds or is it stocks only? If an investor doesn't want to pick stocks, what is your suggestion(s) for those people?

Alan

Our service is stocks only. We don't have anything to do with Mutual Funds or recommend them for anyone looking to actively manage their own money/portfolio.

The market closed its best three-day run in the past three months on Wednesday after the Greek parliament approved austerity measures to avoid defaulting on its debt. The Dow gained 72.73 points, or 0.60 percent, to 12,261.42. The S&P; 500 rose 10.74 points, or 0.83 percent, to 1,307.41, and the Nasdaq added 11.18 points, or 0.41 percent, to 2,740.49.

The market staged a stunning reversal from the beginning of the month, when the Dow dropped nearly 280 points in one day after reports showed that auto sales fell sharply in May and that private companies were hiring far fewer people than expected. The recent surge was not enough to turn the markets positive for the month, but it certainly stopped the bleeding. The Dow rose 152.92 points, or 1.3 percent, to 12,414.34. The S&P; 500 added 13.23, or 1 percent, to 1,320.64, and the Nasdaq gained 33.03, or 1.2 percent, to 2,773.52.

Note: This thread is 4536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!