IGNORED

How Many Majors Will Rory Win?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How many majors will Rory McIlroy win in his career?

• 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 11-13
    • 15-18
    • 19+

i said 9-10, even though i half think that he will win a few more than that but i'll wait until he wins his second before i increase my vote :)

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Voted 7-8 aswell. It just seems right. I have my doubts whether a guy like Rory would have the focus of say Tiger, or Jack. To have the hunger to keep winning when you've already gotten to a certain number is not an easy thing. But I think he'll win quite a few in the next few years, while that youthful exuberance for the game remains.

Another factor that might possibly prevent him from going on and winning more than 7/8 could be his swing. It's so athletic (Hips and Shoulders ridiculously open at impact), I'd imagine he'll have to modify it at some point in his career, a-la Tiger.  But whether he'll realise this, or even want to change it remains to be seen. He's 22 years of age and already had occasional back problems.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Who knew leprechauns could be so good at golf?

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

I was actually thinking about this last night on my drive home from practice.  I think he will win at least the same amount as Phil, and maybe 1-2 more.  So I would give him 5-6.  I guess my vote would be for 6.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

He's contended seriously in the last four majors: winning one, giving one away and getting a truly bad break in another (the tee time/weather was a massive factor in his lousy round in the Open). I'll put him down for three Opens, two Masters and one more U.S. Open at a minimum.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

He's contended seriously in the last four majors: winning one, giving one away and getting a truly bad break in another (the tee time/weather was a massive factor in his lousy round in the Open). I'll put him down for three Opens, two Masters and one more U.S. Open at a minimum.

You are correct about how he's contended in the last few majors, but I'm not going as far as saying he'll win 7 or more majors. I think by the end of his career, he will have very similar stats to Phil Mickelson...4 or 5 majors.

The competition is getting tougher. There are so many other golfers out there who are going to win majors over the next few years, including Tiger if he can come back and stay healthy. Rory will only get 4 or 5. Just think about it...Tiger has 5 runner-up finishes at majors. 1 or 2 shots played better in those tournaments and Tiger may have already been tied with Jack or would only need 1 or 2 more to catch him. It happens to all golfers, and will happen to McIlroy too.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I think, and feel free to disagree with me, that Rory is a better natural ball striker than Tiger was. But Tiger was a much, much better putter than Rory is. If he finds his way more consistently on the greens ... watch out.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I think, and feel free to disagree with me, that Rory is a better natural ball striker than Tiger was. But Tiger was a much, much better putter than Rory is. If he finds his way more consistently on the greens ... watch out.

Probably true. And let's not forget about Tiger's ability to get out of the worst situation and make par or birdie somehow

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Probably true. And let's not forget about Tiger's ability to get out of the worst situation and make par or birdie somehow

Hard to say who's better. I was watching Rory on Saturday and Sunday last week hitting approach shots to a couple feet, but then you go on YouTube and have all the clips of the young Tiger hitting those same shots.

I just thought it was funny how a few months ago, Rory said Tiger would never return to old form, and then to watch Rory blow it in the final round of the Masters and see Tiger play with his old form again...it was hilarious.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

If Tiger had played "with his old form again", he would have won instead of fading away over the back nine.

Are we seriously still beating the ooh-Rory-dissed-Tiger drum? He said this, which is hardly out of order or out of touch with reality:

Quote:
"I'm not sure we are going to see him dominate again the way he did. He never seemed like he would make a mistake. It's not that he's playing badly. He's simply playing badly by Tiger's standards. He's playing like an ordinary golfer."

Stretch.

And let's not forget about Tiger's ability to get out of the worst situation and make par or birdie somehow

Like Rory did all week during the Open?

72 holes, 3 bogeys, 1 double. At the U.S. Open.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

If Tiger had played "with his old form" again, he would have won instead of fading away over the back nine.

No. He played with his old form, just not for all 18 holes. Putting killed him. But the old form was obviously there and anyone can see that.

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

Like Rory did all week during the Open?

72 holes, 3 bogeys, 1 double. At the U.S. Open.

LMAo - it was no Pebble Beach that's for sure

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Ball striking (loosely) includes all tee and approach shots (but not "short game") right?  By a more strict definition it simply means hitting fairways & greens, right?

Based on the way Rory has hit his driver at Augusta and Congressional this year, I'd say he is probably at least a better driver of the ball.  He seems so comfortable with that club in his hand. Would people agree with that?

Is this devolving into a Rory vs Tiger thread?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Rory will win every major for the next three years, and then four more after that. Mark my words!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

LMAo - it was no Pebble Beach that's for sure

It wasn't, but it wasn't that easy either. Apart from maybe Jason Day, no one else came close to that few dropped shots all week. And no one else came close to shooting -16 either.

And to bplewis.. have you seen Tiger's driving lately.? You're right, Rory's a better Driver of the ball by a long way. And since you're all going down the Rory vs Tiger route.. I think Rory's iron play is just as good if not better than Tiger's. Tiger's short game, not including putting, is probably still better. Given Tiger's deterioration in putting and Rory's apparent improvement, I'd say Rory's better in that department at the minute.

That's how I see it at least.

Even more than putting, Tiger's wedge game is much stronger. But, hey, when you only miss 10 greens the entire week like Rory did, you could have the handicap of a blind person and get away with it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by arogolf

Hard to predict, but he has the potential to be the best ever.

He will be good but i don't think he is even close to being on Tiger's or Jacks level.

Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!