IGNORED

How Many Majors Will Rory Win?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How many majors will Rory McIlroy win in his career?

• 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 11-13
    • 15-18
    • 19+

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stretch

I think, and feel free to disagree with me, that Rory is a better natural ball striker than Tiger was. But Tiger was a much, much better putter than Rory is. If he finds his way more consistently on the greens ... watch out.

Even more than putting, Tiger's wedge game is much stronger. But, hey, when you only miss 10 greens the entire week like Rory did, you could have the handicap of a blind person and get away with it.

My opinion of this debate is that it really isnt about there games stacking up with each other. Tiger is just mentally  strong that is what seperates him from others because he really isnt a consistent ball striker. He just knows  when to put his foot on the gas and when to hit clutch shots.. Rory isn't anything close to Tiger. He won a major that doesn't make him the next Tiger. He is very very good i agree with that but is he no Tiger not even close.

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

It wasn't, but it wasn't that easy either. Apart from maybe Jason Day, no one else came close to that few dropped shots all week. And no one else came close to shooting -16 either.

And to bplewis.. have you seen Tiger's driving lately.? You're right, Rory's a better Driver of the ball by a long way. And since you're all going down the Rory vs Tiger route.. I think Rory's iron play is just as good if not better than Tiger's. Tiger's short game, not including putting, is probably still better. Given Tiger's deterioration in putting and Rory's apparent improvement, I'd say Rory's better in that department at the minute.

That's how I see it at least.

The original question I was responding to was comparing Rory's current ball-striking to Tiger's peak ball-striking.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by franky21

My opinion of this debate is that it really isnt about there games stacking up with each other. Tiger is just mentally  strong that is what seperates him from others because he really isnt a consistent ball striker. He just knows  when to put his foot on the gas and when to hit clutch shots.. Rory isn't anything close to Tiger. He won a major that doesn't make him the next Tiger. He is very very good i agree with that but is he no Tiger not even close.

Once again we have Franky21's scientific analysis. Based on nothing other than the belief that until someone eclipses Tiger's record noone can say anything other than they are "very good".

The analysis of Tiger is even more bewildering. He just "knows when to hit clutch shots". Gawd ...give me strength.

Just so you're clear on this Frank 21, noone is saying that McILroy is "the next Tiger" and any predictions of major victories are pointless conjecture and clearly premature, but the fact of the matter is that if you haven't noticed over the last couple of years that when McIlroy is "on" he is playing at a level only ever touched by the greatest players.

In another post he wisely claims that Rory is "not even close" to Jack or Tiger (don't you love the familiarity).

Please Franky, explain why, at the age of 22, you don't think that McIlroy's game is better than "very good".

Who do you think is a better player than him?

I'm not expecting Tiger to beat Nicklaus's record. I'm not expecting anyone to reach Tiger's record, but the patronisig attitude you have, without backing your "opinions" up is just so much hot air. Please explain the weaknesses you have observed in McIlroy's game.

Why is he "not even close" - given that there probably is not a professional golfer on the planet who would not rank him as the most talented player in the world at the moment.

Do you think that the hype about him is because he won a major?

Harrington won 3 in a couple of years. Noone has ever said that he is amongst golf history's elite.

If you can't see that McIlroy is something different, you're more blind and clueless than your posts make you appear to be.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I say 13, he has a long career ahead of him and his swing is great and accurate.  It wont break down his body as much as tigers swing with his left leg snapping.  I think he wont have as many injuries and as long as hes focused he should get around 12-13

G2 Driver/3 Wood    MP 52 Irons   52 Deg. Wedge    56 Deg. Spin Milled Wedge

60 Deg. X-Tour Wedge   G5i Tess Putter

www.swingtrainergolf.net

Obviously all speculation here, but I wonder what it is about winning one major that makes people predict that Rory will finish 3rd all time?  If he wins another one this year, and the next year and the next year-or has 8 or so by the time he's 30 I can totally see the 12 or 13 prediction.  But after 1 victory?

I guess people are, for whatever reason, desperate for the next Tiger.  I don't see another Tiger happening anytime soon, if ever.  I think the absolute very best players of the future might rack up Phil Mickelson or Nick Faldo like stats, or at the very extreme end of high-end career success, Tom Watson stats.  Again-this is also just speculation on my part, but I think the trend in numbers over the last 30 years, Tiger excepted, backs this theory up.

Originally Posted by Luckner88

I say 13, he has a long career ahead of him and his swing is great and accurate.  It wont break down his body as much as tigers swing with his left leg snapping.  I think he wont have as many injuries and as long as hes focused he should get around 12-13

7-8 sounds about right. We have to remember he has only won three pro tournaments ( though I'm Irish and we have been talking of him as the next big thing for quite a few years).

If he can get used to winning tight tournaments then the sky is the limit as I think he can win the Masters multiple times (Augusta fits his game perfectly).

He and Tiger just have more natural talent than the rest. Wouldn't it be great to have those two head to head down the stretch?

I wanna know who the hell voted 19+

I also wanna know their dealer's name and phone number

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I voted 7-8, and only because he won his first so early on.  My thought process is as follows:

1) look at how many majors were won by individuals not named Eldrick and in the "modern era" (defined as having custom fitted clubs using launch monitors, computer designed club heads, modern materials for both clubs and balls, swing coaches, "head" gurus, etc) - and I believe that number comes out at around 3-4?  So I'm using this as my base.

2) without TW some of these players could have doubled their tally.  I'm thinking Ernie with 3 runner up finishes to TW, could have had 6 majors. So the base has moved up now.

3) Rory is good, very good, but he is no TW.  He plays the game, he enjoys the game, etc but he doesn't have that burning desire to win everything in sight or "every time he tees up".  TW HAD a winning percentage of 20%-30%?  As good as Rory is, he doesn't have that kind of winning percentage.  If you offered him a career as good as Ernie's or Phil's I'm guessing he'd gladly take that today and hang up his clubs.

4) Rory's had a really good stretch of major golf in the past 15 months.  We've seen such streaks before e.g. David Duval and Vijay Singh to get to No. 1.  Streaks don't last indefinitely.

5) Some have written that Rory will have 16 more years of good golf (fair call) and keep the same winning percentage (which may note be realistic).  Like TW before him, Rory will get married, start a family, etc and face other distractions also.

6) There are many more good young players in the ranks now, and any one can peak on the right 4 days and take home a major.  The other players don't fear Rory like they feared TW.  They won't self-destruct when they see Rory's name on the leaderboard.

Realistically, no one knows how many majors Rory will win, but we'll enjoy watching him try for sure.

• Upvote 2

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

5 for me. Historically pretty good but I hope it's a big under-estimate.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many observers , fellow players and teaching pros have all surgested the the young lad has it all , in bundles . Who am I to dissagree . I guess as long as he keeps his fitness and health he will be there or there abouts in all he enters. As we saw at the masters his weakness may be in the head ,if he can defeat that demon which I think he will I'd put him down , with a fair wind for 19 +

Yes he is that good.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Quote:

Once again we have Franky21's scientific analysis. Based on nothing other than the belief that until someone eclipses Tiger's record noone can say anything other than they are "very good".

The analysis of Tiger is even more bewildering. He just "knows when to hit clutch shots". Gawd ...give me strength.

Just so you're clear on this Frank 21, noone is saying that McILroy is "the next Tiger" and any predictions of major victories are pointless conjecture and clearly premature, but the fact of the matter is that if you haven't noticed over the last couple of years that when McIlroy is "on" he is playing at a level only ever touched by the greatest players.

In another post he wisely claims that Rory is "not even close" to Jack or Tiger (don't you love the familiarity).

Please Franky, explain why, at the age of 22, you don't think that McIlroy's game is better than "very good".

Who do you think is a better player than him?

I'm not expecting Tiger to beat Nicklaus's record. I'm not expecting anyone to reach Tiger's record, but the patronisig attitude you have, without backing your "opinions" up is just so much hot air. Please explain the weaknesses you have observed in McIlroy's game.

Why is he "not even close" - given that there probably is not a professional golfer on the planet who would not rank him as the most talented player in the world at the moment.

Do you think that the hype about him is because he won a major?

Harrington won 3 in a couple of years. Noone has ever said that he is amongst golf history's elite.

If you can't see that McIlroy is something different, you're more blind and clueless than your posts make you appear to be.

But surely you remember the classic ''Isleworth-is-setup-to-play-like-Augusta' comment?

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I voted 6.  To play so well the first 3 days of the Masters and blow away the field at the US open gives support to anyone who votes more than 6.  His golf swing is as good as it gets and he is obviously physically gifted (speed, flexibility, etc.).  BUT........IMO there are two unanswered questions:  Mental Toughness? Longevity?

Mental toughness:

He obviously fell apart last day of the Masters but from that experience he developed a successful game plan for the US Open (Go into Sunday with a bigger lead...lol).  But can he dig on day 3 & 4 if day 1 & 2 don't go so well?  We need to see him come back from a deficit to win a tournament the way Jack and Tiger could.

Longevity:

He is a small guy with an aggressive swing.  To hit the ball as far as he does at his size requires a swing on redline.  He is young now and his body can handle it but as he gets older will he become injury prone?

• Upvote 1

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

I am thinking between 3 and 5, I said 3. I do think he could be great, but I am not convinced just yet. Besides, 3 majors is pretty good.

Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!