IGNORED

I'm tired of this talk about "after" Tiger

MrElculver2424
Note: This thread is 4693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How to you feel about Tiger Woods's future in golf?

• It's too early to count him out--he's only 35he has a chance to come back and win a lot of more tournaments
    • It's safe to say he's done--he will likely never win again.

It is my belief that if Tiger can heal his injuries he has another 4-5 good years left.  But as much as I would like to think age doesn't matter it just isn't so.  You're not the same physically and time can wear on you some.  But until 40 or so Tiger has enough talent to keep up if he chooses.  I don't know how to evaluate if he can heal as well as necessary to continue at his previous level of play.  Nor can I say how he is handling his wounds in the mind resulting  from his personal life's disappointments.  But no question he has the talent and his age alone won't stop him.

Butch

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

But Jack didn't win his 15th major until he was 38, so Tiger is still ahead of the pace until he turns 38 and hasn't gotten his 15th yet.

Yeah, but Jack was playing real well at ages 36 and 37, a level which Tiger isn't close to right now. Between winning his 14th and 15th majors, Jack had 4 2nds, 2 3rds and 9 top 10s and an 11th in the 10 majors in which he went winless.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by makaveli

I don't think Tiger will ever win another major, golf is a sport mainly played in your head, and Tiger has shown to have a very fragile personality... we will miss him!

Lee Trevino said in Golf Magazine that while he used to think Tiger would beat Jack's record, he no longer does because Tiger's heart's not into the game the way it used to be.

Originally Posted by Ionomer

Lee Trevino said in Golf Magazine that while he used to think Tiger would beat Jack's record, he no longer does because Tiger's heart's not into the game the way it used to be.

It's all about Rory's heart now!

I don;t think its specifically 'After-Tiger'..but I do get the feeling that the era of Woods / Mickelson / Els / Singh / Furyk etc is all but over.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by RichF

I don;t think its specifically 'After-Tiger'..but I do get the feeling that the era of Woods / Mickelson / Els / Singh / Furyk etc is all but over.

I know what you mean, but I'd also like to point out that Tiger is the youngest of those 5 guys you mentioned. I think Singh, Els, and Furyk are just about done. Maybe Furyk has a little left, but the other two are done. Tiger and Phil I think have a lot left in them.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I don't think Tiger's career is "over" in the traditional sense of the word, but the era of Tiger as the one and only force in golf is probably at an end.  I honestly don't understand people who are so upset by this.  He had the most dominant 10 year run golf has ever seen, and if he retired right now he'd still be considered one of the 3 best golfers ever.  If Tigers comes back to any sort of competitive level, then great, makes for good golf.  But people who have an appreciation of golf only if Tiger is playing/dominating-it's just weird.

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I know what you mean, but I'd also like to point out that Tiger is the youngest of those 5 guys you mentioned. I think Singh, Els, and Furyk are just about done. Maybe Furyk has a little left, but the other two are done. Tiger and Phil I think have a lot left in them.

Quote:
I think Singh, Els, and Furyk are just about done. Maybe Furyk has a little left, but the other two are done. Tiger and Phil I think have a lot left in them.

Perhaps, but Ernie did win a WGC and Arnold's event just last year (plus a Euro event), and finished 3rd at the US Open. Furyk won 3 times including the Fedex Cup. They're both about the same age as Phil. And neither of them is battling arthritis.

I think there will definitely be a final act to Tiger's career. His current situation is like Michael Jordan coming back from his baseball sabbatical. People forgot about him and the Bulls losing to Orlando in 1995 after they rolled off another three-peat, and I think Tiger's subpar 2010-11 will fade once he starts winning again.

Originally Posted by Long Ball Larry

I think there will definitely be a final act to Tiger's career. His current situation is like Michael Jordan coming back from his baseball sabbatical. People forgot about him and the Bulls losing to Orlando in 1995 after they rolled off another three-peat, and I think Tiger's subpar 2010-11 will fade once he starts winning again.

I completely agree. I don't think it's a matter of "if" his game will come back and "if" he will ever win again, I think it's just " when " .

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I miss the old Tiger, I always thought his biggest mistake was getting married because he was at the top of the world and charging for Jacks record.  I think the scandal did him in because he no longer possesses those nerves of steel during the final rounds of a golf tournament.  There is always something that throws him off and he looks too "mechanical" with his swing and his swing thoughts whereas before his swing was so fluid, he would just picture the shot and hit it!  His confidence is broken and until he gets that back I think he has no chance at beating Jack.  Plus, look at how deep the competition is with these young guns coming up.  Tiger does have a chance at a few future Masters tournaments because he knows that course but I would count him out of the next 4 US Opens, I dont think his game right now matches up with those.

G2 Driver/3 Wood    MP 52 Irons   52 Deg. Wedge    56 Deg. Spin Milled Wedge

60 Deg. X-Tour Wedge   G5i Tess Putter

www.swingtrainergolf.net

Note: This thread is 4693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!