IGNORED

Weighted clubs?

Norm66
Note: This thread is 6008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a number of different weighted clubs for sale from the fancy ones in the magazines with Jim McLean's name through the cheapies available at K-mart. I'm looking for something to keep my back limber and my golf swing (such as it is) in tune while the winter is keeping me from playing. Any thoughts on these?

I use a cheapie, I did replace the training grip. Works fine. Not sure how much it helps strength and flexibility, but it definitely helps keep you from over manipulating the club.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

i feel that a weighted club created the base of my problems last season. I worked at a pro shop and they had one that the customers could try and I would use it quite a bit and as my tournament season progressed I developed a "flying elbow" that got worse and worse and as I thought back on it I would guess that weighted club I was using created this problem by making my right arm do to much to get the club to the top of my swing instead of just letting it go along for the ride and releasing at the bottom and extending after impact. It has been a long haul back to my old form but I am slowly but surely getting there and striking the ball much crisper.

Zebra

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

Many people have been buying that Power Hitter weighted driver lately, but I say save your money and make one yourself! Here's how:

A number of years back, I found an old Wilson Fat Shaft 4 iron from the used club rack to do this with. These clubs had really wide shafts that make this great, but any steel shafted club will do.

Cut off the grip and pour some lead shot (Golfsmith has it) or some of that real fine sugar sand down the shaft, then cork the butt, regrip and voila! Instant weighted club you can hit balls with. To balance the weight, load up the head with lead tape and have at it!

Back in college, I used to fill my putter shafts with sand too to make them heavier. If you like the feel of those new "Heavy putters", it has the exact same effect.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

• 10 months later...
I like jorruss idea about the lead shot or sand...a great inexpensive alternative. Plus, unlike something like the Speed Stik which is pretty long and has a big handle, it is about as close as you can get to the all-around characteristics of a real club. Weighted donuts are also a nice cheap alternative.

Any sort of heavy or weighted club is great for warming up. But beyond that, swinging one will keep your back limber, but be careful of doing too much slow swinging with it in the off-season because you may actually start building slow-twitch muscle fiber in to your swing.

I'd either recommend warming up with the heavy club and then switching to swinging your normal club...or training fast with the heavy club. If you do the latter, though, make sure you're plenty warmed up first as to avoid injury. I've injured my hands by jumping in too quickly.

Hmmmm, you might also cut off a small section of a ribbed Fun Noodle (those styrofoam floating noodles that kids use in pools) and slide it down your golf shaft and swing it. It's lightweight, cheap, and will still provide a little resistance when you swing it.

Jaacob
http://www.swingmangolf.com

I've contemplated purchasing one of those, but decided against it because my golf fund is tapped. Instead, I just grab 3 of my normal clubs and swing them all at once a few times before each round (and sometimes during a round). From there, I take a single iron and swing it a few times and I'm ready to go. I'm fortunate that I'm fairly flexible and I've been blessed with a problem-free back.

For me, swinging a heavier club (or in my case 3 clubs all at once) while waiting at the first tee box helps me loosen up, reminds me to use my lower body during each swing, and seems to help with my tempo.

DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I bought a weight iron at Wal Mart and ended up pulling a muscle in my rib cage area so I stop using it.

For strength and flexibility for me I would try something else.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 6008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!