IGNORED

The 2011 British Open

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Olympics is a total different kettle of fish. Olympics is Republic Of Ireland or Great Britain. They could play for either there. Northern Ireland people can choose either.

Originally Posted by PaddyHarrington

And when Golf is in the Olympics I look forward to seeing GMAC or/and Rory playing for Ireland under the Tri Colour!

First of all, I'm Irish. So you know where you can stick your "don't understand", deasy

Secondly, Rory, Gmac, and Darren are from Northern Ireland. As such, I see their victories as victories for their country. Northern Ireland and the Republic are entirely seperate countries and that's no problem. Fair play to them all on their wins, but I don't feel the need to try and claim those wins as 'Irish'. They're not, they're Northern Irish wins and that's all there is to it. As someone said above, Rory didn't say "A great day for Irish golf", did he? No, he didn't.

But anyway, fair play to Darren, hope he enjoys his win.

• Upvote 1
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Phil did better than most thought he would.   Another 2nd in a Major for Phil, should help his world ranking at least.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By the way, Rory has stated that he'd play for Great Britain in the Olympics if asked.

And when Golf is in the Olympics I look forward to seeing GMAC or/and Rory playing for Ireland under the Tri Colour!

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Just because you're from Ireland doesn't mean you understand the situation.

And since we are quoting Rory comments:

Rory McIlroy about the Irish Open: “The Irish Open is very high on the list of tournaments that I would like to win in my career one day. I think every golfer has a special place in his or her heart for their national Open and I am no different. To win in front of a home crowd is something we don’t get the chance to do that often, so I’d love to win the title.”

Don't let politics get in the way of your golf.

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

First of all, I'm Irish. So you know where you can stick your "don't understand", deasy

Secondly, Rory, Gmac, and Darren are from Northern Ireland. As such, I see their victories as victories for their country. Northern Ireland and the Republic are entirely seperate countries and that's no problem. Fair play to them all on their wins, but I don't feel the need to try and claim those wins as 'Irish'. They're not, they're Northern Irish wins and that's all there is to it. As someone said above, Rory didn't say "A great day for Irish golf", did he? No, he didn't.

But anyway, fair play to him, hope he enjoys his win.

He retracted that straight after, you know. And why wouldn't he play for GB? He is from the North. I don't think you are getting the point we are trying to make at all.

By the way, Rory has stated that he'd play for Great Britain in the Olympics if asked.

Well you see Rory knows well how to handle this situation. He's often asked if he's British or Irish. And he always just says he's from Northern Ireland. 'Cause you'll have the British claiming this as a British win, the Irish claiming it as an Irish win when it's neither really. It's a Northern Irish win, just as it should be.

Great year for Irish golf so far,should be a great Irish Open in a few weeks.

It's gonna be absolute Bedlam down there. Looking forward to it though. I'd say tryin' to follow Rory or Darren around might be futile though.

Thank goodness this is cyberspace, not real life, or I'm afraid you guys would be getting to the shoot and bomb stage with this national nonsense.

Way to tarnish and distract from a great performance by a terrific guy.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just make sure you bring your own food and drink. I think it was €8 euro for a small burger there last year

Great year for Irish golf so far,should be a great Irish Open in a few weeks.

As a proud Ulsterman living in the States, I'm pleased as I could be at his win (couldn't happen for a nicer guy), but I do look forward to seeing another American take a major. Perhaps I'll get to see it in person at the Atlanta Athletic Club in a few weeks? Similarly, I love seeing guys who've "deserved" a major win finally get their due, but I also love seeing the young guns atop the leaderboard. I suppose a Rickie Fowler win would solve both, eh? :)

My girlfriend is South African, so I love seeing those guys play well and win too. This year has been a peach for me!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I may be off here, but it seems contrived for the announcers to suggest that DJ hitting one very poor shot on 14 is the same type of misfortune/choking that DJ had in prior majors.  It's not like he was in a position to win yet or anything.

Didn't interpret the commentators remarks that he choked on the shot just that it was misfortune visiting him once again in a Major ( I'm viewing this on the BBC)

DJ, in my opinion was pushing for a birdie and played a bad shot.

Congratulations to DC, and commiserations to Phil and Dustin.

Don't know how much of the award ceremony you saw but it was very classy of Phil while waiting for the awards to be presented, put his arm around DC and had a brief heart to heart talk. Amy (hope I spelled that correctly),Phils wife made a point of congratulating DC.

I would love to see the R&A; showcase the fabulous golf tradition of Northern Ireland by taking the Open to Portrush or County Down, but I fear that the activity on the last couple of pages demonstrates why that is unlikely to happen.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I would love to see the R&A; showcase the fabulous golf tradition of Northern Ireland by taking the Open to Portrush or County Down, but I fear that the activity on the last couple of pages demonstrates why that is unlikely to happen.

Peter Dawson ( Chief Excecutive Officer of the R and A)) said on the BBC that the ground swell of emotion that Portrush should be included on the Open rota has not gone unnoticed ( or words to that effect).

Activity on the last couple of pages demonstrates why that is unlikely to happen? Perhaps thats why it should happen.

Well said.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I think people may have misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

Wins in last 17 majors -

Ireland 6

- Republic of Ireland 3

- Northern Ireland 3

I was never claiming they were all from the Republic. All those major winners have represented 'Ireland' in the World Cup of Golf. There is a major difference between saying someone is from 'Ireland' and saying someone is from the 'Republic of Ireland'. When people refer to Ireland they are referring to the whole island. Reading back on my comments I believe I really didn't make that point clear. Apologies.

It's funny you should imply that just because you are Irish you must therefore understand. You clearly don't. They are not entirely separate countries. For example I am from Northern Ireland and have an Irish passport.

I also see their victories as a marvelous triumph for Northern Ireland but also the Island of Ireland and Irish Golf and if someone prefers to see it as a triumph for British Golf then I don't mind that too as for all the politicial strife the Islands neighbour each other.

I can see you aren't coming at this from a bigotted perspective but come on!

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!