IGNORED

Sandbaggers

watrboy4
Note: This thread is 5816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like to play in alot of the local 2 man best ball, match play, and other tournaments. I was just curious if anybody else out there has run into the sandbaggers. Last summer I played against a guy in a match play tournament that said he was a 14 handicap and I had to give him 2 shots. He shot 2 over par. Now I know that us tweener handicappers can have a good day but this fellow went on to shoot 4 over the next day. Is this purely luck?

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

Now that is sandy. I have problems finding a partener for these events. My handicap must be intimidating. Thats alright though. I would never let someone get away with it. It might be on the eleventh hole the second day of the tournament but somebody would have to four-foot the match. I'm betting it wouldn't be me. Hey I see your from Idaho want to play some time? 5 bucks a hole and buys the beer at the end? scratch play!

hell yeah sounds like fun. What part of Idaho you in feller? The way I figure you will be giving me 16 shots on 18 holes. Sounds like a party. Plus I am running a little low in the Bank account!! lol

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

You must really be from Idaho man.... Where did you learn to spell? It is almost as bad as my spelling.

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

I'm up for the Sandtrap Idaho Open

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Probably not luck - but it may be.

I know guys that are mid single digits on their home course with very few bunkers or water, that can't break 90 when they show up to a course that has lots of hazards. I assume it'd work the other way around too - someone used to having 2 or 3 doubles per round because of water all of the sudden doesn't have to deal with it in a tournament and goes low.

Bret Schlyer
===========
Driver: 2009 Burner TP
3 wood: Ti Bubble
5 wood: Macgregor MacTec NGV

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC  3

Irons: Hireko XF Pro

SW/LW: Cleveland 588

Putter: Ping Anser

This isn't no freakin spelling v I signed up for buddy. I'm only hear to talk golf and help these high handicappers out.

What the heck is a spelling v?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, that's what the "Slope System" is supposed to take care of... the variations in handicap due to the "toughness" of the course.

I know when I was in high school my handicap was between 3 and 6 and my home course was long, tree lined, lots of lateral water and lightning fast greens. Every once in a while our golf team would play a match at some shorter, wide open muni course and I'd shoot par (and a few times under) and I know I got some stares after the round.

hey schyler -- I see you're from Kansas also. I dunno about you but I feel like playing in the wind all the time here makes playing almost anywhere else in the country a lot easier! ;)

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Confusing post.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I totally agree with ya MGP.... Slope and course rating should make a difference on handicap. The issue that I am having is the fact that an honest person cant compete in these events. Thanks for your input. Have you noticed an abundance of sandbaggers around your clubs? If not what does your club do to combat these issues?

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

I totally agree with ya MGP.... Slope and course rating should make a difference on handicap. The issue that I am having is the fact that an honest person cant compete in these events. Thanks for your input. Have you noticed an abundance of sandbaggers around your clubs? If not what does your club do to combat these issues?

ummmm rating does affect handicap. Your index gets you a different amount of strokes depending on the course rating. For instance I get three pops at my home course but on harder course in the area I get 4 pops.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ummmm rating does affect handicap.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was agreeing with MGP on that matter. The problem is that rating doesnt compensate for these people that can't win unless they cheat. Last year I put all 86 rounds that I played in and I used that handicap. Some peolple only put in their high rounds and write off their low ones.

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

I see sandbaggers all the time. A good friend of mine only posts the scores that he wants to post, not all of them. I played with a guy last year that would play holes that he knew he could not win with only his wedge and he would turn those scores in. I have seen 18 handicaps shoot 76 in tournaments which is virtually impossible.

Sandbagging is cheating. Same thing as kicking a ball out from under a bush or mis-marking your ball on purpose. It is frustrating as there is not much you can do. However, I will not let someone's lack of integrity affect my play or values.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Realistically, the course ratings don't factor in alot of stuff that can affect an individual player.

For example, 2 courses may have the exact same number of hazards, the one a guy plays all the time are 75% on the right side of the fairways, and the tournament course has them located 90% on the left side of the fairways. If this guy's misses are regularly to the right, he'll end up in alot more hazards at his home course (resulting in a higher handicap) than during the tourney.

Wind can be another factor that isn't taken into account by slope - playing on a protected course regularly then getting a tourney on a more exposed course with the wind blowing.

I obviously don't know whether these folks are sandbagging or not, but I don't find it odd when a 10 handicap shoots anything between Even Par and 100.

Bret Schlyer
===========
Driver: 2009 Burner TP
3 wood: Ti Bubble
5 wood: Macgregor MacTec NGV

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC  3

Irons: Hireko XF Pro

SW/LW: Cleveland 588

Putter: Ping Anser

• 1 year later...
Lets revisit the Sandbaggers. Maybe we need to include the reverse sandbaggers. My Definition: A person that only puts in there lowest scores. Doesn't really hurt anyone but themselves. Funny stuff...

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

Lets revisit the Sandbaggers. Maybe we need to include the reverse sandbaggers. My Definition: A person that only puts in there lowest scores. Doesn't really hurt anyone but themselves. Funny stuff...

We call the reverse baggers "Profilers." Just looking to up their personal profile for their own satisfaction. Love playing against those guys. Like you said, only hurts themselves.

Thing is though, a lot of these guys who go out there and give themselves 3 and 4 foot putts all day long have a hard time in tourneys when they need to actually putt out. So in a sense, there is a lot of unintentional reverse bagging or profiling going on. Then they start accusing everyone else of being a sandbagger.

We call the reverse baggers "Profilers." Just looking to up their personal profile for their own satisfaction. Love playing against those guys. Like you said, only hurts themselves.

That is awesome. Profilers..........LMAO I'm gonna use that one dude. We got some profilers on this forum......just doesn't take any scores on here......lol

In the bag:
Irons 4-PW-:

Note: This thread is 5816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!