IGNORED

Any FORMER Ben Hogan iron owners?

G550
Note: This thread is 1161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got the Hogan Apex Edge Pro's and have flirted with the idea of getting new clubs. No particular reason other than perhaps the urge to buy newer clubs. I know it's not a good reason, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I demoed some clubs (MP-60 and MP-67, 735CM's, 755's, Nike Blades) at the range (only the mizunos were at the range; the rest in a golf shop) a week ago and they both felt really nice. Then I hit my Hogans and they felt just as nice. Distance wise, there wasn't much difference. I know I should hit more clubs at the range to get a better feel, but essentially, my Hogans felt just as good as any of them and my control was right in line as well.

I'm curious to hear from those that have upgraded from Hogans. What was the selling point? What did you find was better with the clubs you eventually moved to?

Now I have my eyes on the X Forged. Those are nice!

I used to have Hogan's and I did not like them at all. I had too many shot that just reverberated through my hands. I switched to Pings and it made a huge difference.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I had a set of Hogan irons, Hogan Edge GCD if I remember correctly. I never liked them, but it's been so long ago I don't recall why. I'm sure they were very good clubs and the problem was me, not the clubs.

The only set of irons I've ever had that I REALLY liked was a set of Ping Eye2+ irons.

I wonder, now that Hogan is under the Callaway unbrella, if they have maintained the "Hogan mystique", if there is such a thing?

I like my Callaway irons, but I don't REALLY like them. I'm not looking for a new set, not yet.

I think Ben Hogan clubs are the best on the market. I've been playing Hogan Radial irons since the 80's and I haven't found a club to match it for feel. Granted, I don't usually hit any other line of clubs, my only experience is hitting a couple shots with my friends clubs.
I simply would never play another club! I am loyal to Hogan because I love the man and his fortitude. I love my new "Big Ben" driver. It allows me to back off my swing and I still have more distance and confidence I can hit it straight.
Stay true to your heart. Confidence in a club goes a long way.
This may help you out... http://www.benhogan.com/index.html
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

I have a set of Hogan Edge left handed with the first rifles they ever put out circa 1980 or so in my BASEMENT.Played them for years then moved on to Yonex blades and so on and so forth.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't think my irons are going anywhere until I have a valid reason to do so. It's easy to get caught up in buying new equipment and such. But I will keep demoing clubs to see if anything presents itself with a better opportunity.

I played Apex pluses for 3 years. I loved them. My 8 and pw were wearing out so I switched to the new titleist "cut muscles" They are REALLY good feeling clubs. I also really liked the mizuno MP 60's

• 1 month later...
I play the Hogan FTXs, which are a graduated set (the wedge, called an "E" for escape [Hogan's term, not mine] is a blade, and the irons get more forgiving/cavity-backed down to the 3i).

Great set...great feel...you need to hit 'em pretty pure for sure though.

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

I played with Hogan Apex PC for years. Literally wore the grooves on the 7, 8, 9 and PW to the point where something had to be done. I moved over to Mizuno and havent really looked back since.

I played a set of 14's for several years after the PCs. After coming back a few months ago from a 4 year layoff...the 14's were just a bit too much for an ungrooved swing. I think I hit everything there is looking for a replacement set...man alive alot has changed in a few years. Whats this Hybrid thing everyone is talking about? I ended up with a set of MP-60's 3-pw (yes...I can still hit a 3 iron! =)). Classic lines and look at address with a cut cavity that gives me a blade feel but doesnt make my teeth fall out when I hit one a lil thin. =)

I have alot of respect for other equipment, makers etc. Callaway, Ping, Nike etc etc...there is such a plethora of good gear out there its just astounding. All the top makers are putting out some really exceptional quality gear. Still though...there is just something to me that is just special about the Mizuno irons...there were no irons that I could find that compared to the feel of a forged Mizuno iron being hit flush. It gives me the warm tinglies just thinking about it.

Driver: 907D2 9.5*- Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
4 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics 16* - Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
Hybrids: CLK FLI-HI 20* and 23* - Stiff
Irons: MP-60 4 - PW - Project X Flighted 6.0
Wedges: 56* and 60* Spin Milled OilCan - Spinner Wedge ShaftsPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5Ball:.....

• 2 years later...
You won't believe it but I have been testing forged irons to replace my Ping ISI's. Since the price tags are hefty the top brands I decided to pick up a set of Hogan Radials off of Craigs List to try out. $35 2-E I took them straight to the range and noticed the lie was flat for me so Golf Smith put me on the lie board and bent them 2 degrees upright. I can't tell you how amazing these 26 year old irons are striking the ball. The accuracy, consistent distance, stopping power and feel are superior to the my Pings. So, with that said I am absolutely driving myself crazy on why I need to spend money on a new set of later models. What a great iron set. I'll post back on what I end up doing.

By the way The E club stands for equalizer which is what Hogan allways called his wedges.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I went from Apex blades to the X Forged you're looking at G550. I switched because I was looking for something with a little more forgiveness than those crazy blades. I still have my Apexs and have been toying around with the idea of mixing in the 8,9 and PW in with the X Forgeds, but I probably wont.

Any blade you are going to get into today is pretty much a copy of Hogans anyway. I don't see how going from a set of Hogan blades to a set of Mizuno or Titleist blades will do you any good, other than the fact that you are looking down on a shiny new set. Titleist, Mizuno, Bridgestone. Hold any of them up to an old set of Apexs and you'll see they are practically the same in size and design.

JaxStreeter says he's happy with and still playing with Radials which were from the '80s. Two years ago I was playing with a set of '72 Apexs. Pretty timeless clubs really.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

My great uncle was given a set of golf clubs when he retired from Washington National Bank sometime in the mid-1970s. They were Hogan woods (I can't remember the model) and Apex irons. The irons were works of art. When I hit one on the sweet spot it was just unbelievable.

I was 14 when I got them and though I quit playing for the next 12 years, I kept them and used them when I started up again on the Forest Preserve courses of Chicago. Eventually I took a lesson and the pro informed that I was playing with senior flex shafts. :)

Fond memories of a glorious set of clubs.

In the bag:
Cleveland Launcher 400cc
Callaway Hawkeye 3 wood, stiff
TaylorMade Burner Rescue hybrid, 19*, stiff
TaylorMade Burner Rescue hybrid, 22*, stiffCallaway X-14 irons, 4-SW, uniflex steel, +1", 2* uprightTitleist Vokey 56/8 sand wedgePing A-Blade putterCareer round: 16 over 88Best round...

Any blade you are going to get into today is pretty much a copy of Hogans anyway. I don't see how going from a set of Hogan blades to a set of Mizuno or Titleist blades will do you any good, other than the fact that you are looking down on a shiny new set. Titleist, Mizuno, Bridgestone. Hold any of them up to an old set of Apexs and you'll see they are practically the same in size and design.

I imagine the fact that the guys designing those companies' irons are Hogan castaways from after Callaway bought them has a lot to do with it.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I imagine the fact that the guys designing those companies' irons are Hogan castaways from after Callaway bought them has a lot to do with it.

I'd imagine that's probably got something to do with it.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Yeah, Tom Stites, who is the chief club designer for Nike, used to work for Hogan.

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

• 7 years later...

I have a full set of the Hogan radials and have played them consistently for about 20 years. I have been urged by others to dump those old clubs and get a more modern technically advanced iron. Perhaps but I still like them. I kid my friends by saying that if you can hit these, you can hit any club. My buddies have tried to hit them and they can't. haha

Dougger in Canada

For years I had a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons and loved them.   I lived in NYC for a few years and my swing was in bad shape from not playing much so after a year of moving where I am now I got a set of game improvement clubs.   Loved the Hogans, although when my swing improved I opted for Mizuno irons because Callaway had not brought Hogan back, IIRC.  The new ones are beautiful.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!