IGNORED

New iron shafts...

Note: This thread is 6253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like to purchase a new set of irons, but I don't know if I am going to be able to right now. My irons were a gift from a friend of mine and they are Mizuno somethings. I currently have Tru Temper steel shafts with regular flex. I wanted to upgrade to possibly a graphite stiff shaft for each one which would improve my game because I could finally swing at my natural speed. What shafts would you guys reccomend? I don't want to spend an outrageous amount, but I could probably do around $100. There are a lot of shaft sets on ebay for around $100.

Is graphite the way to go or would steel be better? I figure graphites would be easier for me to swing, because they would be lighter.

How old are you? What is your swing speed and tempo? You might be considering switching to graphite because the steel shafts you have now might not fit your swing.
My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

I am 19 years old. I assume my swing speed is around 100 mph(could be faster), but I am not sure. I have never had it measured. I know that when I hit my driver, which is regular flex, I have to slow down so much that I feel like I am deccelerating to keep it from slicing.

I don't care too much for the weight of the steel shafts on my irons. I am not a big guy, so a lighter shaft would be easier for me to swing. That is one of the reasons I was thinking of a stiff graphite, instead of stiff steel, shaft.

Everything I have right now was given to me, so I'm workin with what I've got for the time being.

Stick with steel in your irons. It has more consistent and accurate ball flight and it doesn't seam like you would struggle with arthritis or distance issues. If you haven't been playing for long give your selft a chance to improve. Its much harder to transition from graphite to steel than from steel to graphite. Plus you'll save a few pennies.

If you do swing in the 100 mph range with your driver (get measured/tested) you should probably be swinging a stiff flex.

Myself....I swing an x-stiff driver shaft but I swing Rifle Shafts in my irons that are 5.0. 5.0 is = regular+
My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

My driver has a regular flex rifle shaft. Does that mean it is softer than what most regular shafts are or did I just misunderstand what you were saying? I mean I slow down so much to keep it going straight, that I only drive about 200 yards.

Ditto on sticking with steel shafts, especially at 19 yrs of age. Generally, steel shafts are less expensive, too.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

OK, so can you guys reccomend some affordable steel shafts that I can find in stiff flex? I see that they make lighter weight versions and I would like something that is a little bit lighter.

OK, so can you guys reccomend some affordable steel shafts that I can find in stiff flex? I see that they make lighter weight versions and I would like something that is a little bit lighter.

I bought my irons with stock graphite shafts, and I honestly regret it now. I thought I couldn't handle the weight of steel shafts, guess I'm wrong. But I'm reshafting soon in next month. Now, you're 19 years old. You're young and your strength will build up later. Don't make mistake like me choosing graphite over steel although graphite will add more distance to your shot, but not consistency. If you're looking for lightweight kind of shaft there's Nippon Shaft. They have this new feather-light steel shaft called 750GH (approx. 75 grams per shaft) and that's like the weight of graphite...but in steel! However, I don't think it'll fit you (they're just too light). Try the 950GH model instead. Many new irons set from Mizuno, Titleist, Callaway, etc are fitted with this shaft through custom shaft option. What I'm saying is it's good enough as starter for you to know your preference later on. With swing speed of 100mph, you may want to try both regular and stiff flex. Choose what works best for you.

By the way, slicing isn't entirely your shaft's fault. In regards to shaft, slicing simply means the shaft is too stiff. There's a lot more causes to a slice though. I think, it's how you swing. Try swinging using 70 percent of your power. I'd rather have 200 yards of distance straight down the fairway than the ball goes OB.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Find yourself a decent club fitter and let yourself be guided by him/her. It will cost you more to get fitted properly but in the long run it will save you money as you will get what you actually need and have no need to change again and again and again...

A decent fitter will probably spend at least a few hours with you so you are up for that cost, but if you tell them that you are trying to do it cheaply often they may have some suitable shafts that were pulled from something else available or they may be able to recommend something low cost but still suitable.

Lighter then true temper but stiffer? I am not sure but try the Nippon Steel Shafts they are lighter. But if you really have 100mph i would stick with your DG R300 or even try the stiffer version.

WitB

R7 Superquad 10.5
R7 Steel 3 Fw
2 Iron Rescue Dual MP 60 3-PW Vokey SM 56.10 Vokey SM 60.08 White Hot XG # 9

You don't need graphite shafts.

Graphite shafts are just for 'old people'

Is graphite the way to go or would steel be better? I figure graphites would be easier for me to swing, because they would be lighter.

You really need to get fit. Yes there are deals to be had on shafts but without the proper fitting then it's just a crap shoot.

Where are you located? Maybe I can help you find a reputable fitter in the area.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where are you located? Maybe I can help you find a reputable fitter in the area.

That would be great. I travel between Winston-Salem, NC and Greensboro, NC. They are about 45 minutes apart. Charlotte is only about an hour away and Raleigh is about an hour and a half.

Note: This thread is 6253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!