IGNORED

Philadelphia Area Course Recommendations?

Note: This thread is 4779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently moved to the Rittenhouse area of Philly and have an office in Moorestown NJ. I moved from out west where I lived 5 minutes from my last home course which made it easy for a quick 9 or some range work after a long day at work!

I am looking for a decent place to practice and/or play a couple of times a week after work and on weekends. A few people have mentioned Willow Brook and also Laurel Creek. Someone also mentioned heading the other direction and looking north at places like Spring Mill in Warminster. Seems a bit out of the way. I'd rather stay close to work to reduce driving time.

Any feedback or suggestions for a city-bound philly golfer?

In my Ping Hoofer:
Ping G30 10*

Ping G25 4w, 3h

MP 33 5i-PW

Mizuno MP T-Series 53*, 58*

SC Studio StyleNewport 2

I live outside of Philly, and there are a lot of nice courses within an hour's drive of me. With you being in the city, they might be slightly farther away for you (or closer, depending on the course), but I'll name a couple that I've played and really enjoyed:

Turtle Creek, Bella Vista, and Makefield Highlands are all great courses to play. You can get some awesome twilight rates from Turtle Creek and Bella Vista; not totally sure about Makefield Highlands.

There's also a course in West Chester called Broad Run. Played it this summer and it's a lot of fun, though very unforgiving when it comes to errant tee shots. It's over a HUGE area, however, so you can't walk it (and wouldn't want to, trust me). There is a ton of distance between a lot of the holes, but the actual course is about 6800 yards.

Of course there's also Merion and Aronimink, if you can get on!

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glenn Mills, Broad Run, and if you want to make a little drive wyncote is a nice track.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

• 2 weeks later...

Different angle---Woodcrest CC---very nice private---In need of members badly. Have a young professional deal...My son was there a couple years. 100 times your age what he paid for annual membership...

Originally Posted by FLOG4

Different angle---Woodcrest CC---very nice private---In need of members badly. Have a young professional deal...My son was there a couple years. 100 times your age what he paid for annual membership...

I played Riverton CC a couple of weeks ago and am strongly leaning towards the private club option. I'll check out Woodcrest. Thanks.

In my Ping Hoofer:
Ping G30 10*

Ping G25 4w, 3h

MP 33 5i-PW

Mizuno MP T-Series 53*, 58*

SC Studio StyleNewport 2

Originally Posted by vferrari

I played Riverton CC a couple of weeks ago and am strongly leaning towards the private club option. I'll check out Woodcrest. Thanks.

There are some good deals to be had on medium level clubs which have a damn fine course...i think if possible this would be a good direction for you to take.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Indian Spring in Marlton, which is close to Moorestown is a very nice country club. There are more in the cherry hill, Vorhees area. Not sure if you were looking to stay close to work or home, but any in those area's are very nice but pricey!

Chris

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

Played there about a year into picking up this game.  If I remember correctly, it is a great links style course .  Would love to play there again with my current game.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Glenn Mills, Broad Run, and if you want to make a little drive wyncote is a nice track.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Yukari

Played there about a year into picking up this game.  If I remember correctly, it is a great links style course.  Would love to play there again with my current game.

Yeah it's definitely one of the better links style courses I've played but it doesn't drain well so if it just rained it will be very wet.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

My only concern with Woodcrest is they are in serious financial trouble and I wouldn't want to cut them a check for a significant amount of money only to see the doors close in a few weeks/months.  Laurel Creek is decent facility, and Riverton is a great Donal Ross course.  Closer to 73 in the Marlton Area you have Little Mill (although I heard they were having money issues as well), and in Medford there is Medford Village.

Another option for you could be Torresdale-Frankford in NE Philly, another Donald Ross design.  Its right off of I-95 and probably 1/2 between work and home.  Its a buyers market out there so there are deals to be had!.

Note: This thread is 4779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!