IGNORED

Tiger as Captain's pick for Pres. Cup?

Bubba_13
Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Personally I don't the only thing big about them is the purse, other then that they are just more tournaments.

Point is as long as tiger is not so bad you almost couldn't justify him keeping his tour card... hes gonna play anywhere people can get him and hes willing to go.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Don't forget the great fields. The WGC fields are usually the strongest fields all year, along with the majors. I wouldn't consider them just another tournament...

I agree with the point you are trying to make though. I'm just trying to be awkward

Quote:

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

Personally I don't the only thing big about them is the purse, other then that they are just more tournaments.

Point is as long as tiger is not so bad you almost couldn't justify him keeping his tour card... hes gonna play anywhere people can get him and hes willing to go.

I don't care about the pick at all. IMO Tigers done enough for golf that if he gets a nod when he's not playing well I think it's perfectly acceptable. To me it's the most boring, meaningless tournament anyways. YMMV.

• 2 months later...

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Horrible idea.  Tiger isnt even playing very well right now so itwas pretty much a wasted pick.

Well i think you see Tiger a little differently now.Clinched the last point.

Hello shades where have you been? I kinda missed you! :D

Sure is a relevant topic, but I would not confuse suppositions and forecasts with comments after the game is over, it's just too easy and pointless, but this imho of course.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Because it is still a relevant topic.

2 points of out 5 for Tiger? Nothing special. Had Fred picked any other American they would have won more or less the same amount of points.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

2 points of out 5 for Tiger? Nothing special. Had Fred picked any other American they would have won more or less the same amount of points.

It was pretty special IMHO to see Tiger play really well. Don't forget, his playing partners the first few days weren't exactly lights out, so in a team event you can't attribute his final point total completely to his play. What you can say is his play overall, and his singles match in particular, were special, he played very well and justified being a captain's pick. Golf needs Tiger back and playing well. Can you imagine how much less interest there would have been in this event without Tiger being on the team and playing well?

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

It was pretty special IMHO to see Tiger play really well. Don't forget, his playing partners the first few days weren't exactly lights out, so in a team event you can't attribute his final point total completely to his play. What you can say is his play overall, and his singles match in particular, were special, he played very well and justified being a captain's pick. Golf needs Tiger back and playing well. Can you imagine how much less interest there would have been in this event without Tiger being on the team and playing well?

Sorry? That was Tiger playing really well?! I'd hate to see him in a slump. I agree with you though that his final points total also depends on who he is paired with. I don't agree that golf needs Tiger back though. He's been missing for 3 years now and golf has gotten on without him perfectly fine.

I agree that had he not played instead of there being very little interest, there would have been ZERO interest.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• Administrator

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Sorry? That was Tiger playing really well?! I'd hate to see him in a slump. I agree with you though that his final points total also depends on who he is paired with.

I don't know what golf you were watching, but Tiger struck the ball really well all week. Sunday his putter was better (releasing the toe more, zzzzzzz, duh Tiger) and it showed, but Stricker and Dustin Johnson did next to nothing to help Tiger. He drove the ball well (admittedly with irons yes), his ball flight was controlled, his distance was good given the weather, and his misses were better. He played well.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I don't agree that golf needs Tiger back though. He's been missing for 3 years now and golf has gotten on without him perfectly fine.

I don't know that I agree golf has been fine. Viewership is down. I think more people watched the Fry's than the FedExCup finale. Tiger's the only guy in the game who moves the needle. I imagine it's a bit different in Europe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't know what golf you were watching, but Tiger struck the ball really well all week. Sunday his putter was better (releasing the toe more, zzzzzzz, duh Tiger) and it showed, but Stricker and Dustin Johnson did next to nothing to help Tiger. He drove the ball well (admittedly with irons yes), his ball flight was controlled, his distance was good given the weather, and his misses were better. He played well.

To be honest, I didn't watch much at all but from what I did see, and from what I've heard/read, Tiger wasn't playing really well. Really well for me is his 2000 US Open performance. That's playing really well. I admit, he is playing better (not difficult), but he still has some way to go imho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't know that I agree golf has been fine. Viewership is down. I think more people watched the Fry's than the FedExCup finale. Tiger's the only guy in the game who moves the needle. I imagine it's a bit different in Europe.

I know what you are saying, but I'm not judging the health of golf on TV viewership. It's a shame the game in the US needs those 5 million people completely disinterested in golf to tune in to solely watch Tiger play each week. The global economic crisis has done more to damage the game of golf than Tiger's absence.

• Administrator

To be honest, I didn't watch much at all but from what I did see, and from what I've heard/read, Tiger wasn't playing really well. Really well for me is his 2000 US Open performance. That's playingreally well. I admit, he is playing better (not difficult), but he still has some way to go imho.

Okay. But you didn't watch much, so... And what you heard and read? He was 2-3. You probably mostly heard about his putting.

I suggest you give up on 2000. That may never happen again. It's an unrealistic standard that was made even more extreme because the guys he was playing against were worse then than they are now.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I know what you are saying, but I'm not judging the health of golf on TV viewership. It's a shame the game in the US needs those 5 million people completely disinterested in golf to tune in to solely watch Tiger play each week. The global economic crisis has done more to damage the game of golf than Tiger's absence.

The fact remains that here, Tiger is important to the game of golf at every level.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be honest, I didn't watch much at all but from what I did see, and from what I've heard/read, Tiger wasn't playing really well. Really well for me is his 2000 US Open performance. That's playing really well. I admit, he is playing better (not difficult), but he still has some way to go imho.

On Saturday Tiger and Dustin lost their match but I believe Tiger hit 17 of 18 greens, he just wasn't hitting putts. That's playing pretty well if you ask me. On Sunday it seemed to be more of the same only he started hitting putts. I thought he was playing pretty well. I'd call his 2000 US open performance more along the lines of "special" not just pretty well.

Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!