IGNORED

Iron set recommended for an improving 15 handicap?

Note: This thread is 4598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hell all,

I am a 16 year old and i recently started taking golf very seriously. I take lessons weekly/bi-weekly, play 4ish times a week and hit the range most days. My irons now are 2007 Lynx Predator irons, and they are very forgiving but I believe that my game is good enough now (13.1 handicap) for a set of irons with steel shafts, less cavity, etc. I was just wondering what you guys would think about a set of irons for a rapidly improving 13 handicap looking to be in the single digits within the next 6 months. My swing speed is 90-95 mph, and i compress the ball pretty well. I just feel like the irons that i have now are holding me back a tad. I am open to all opinions at this point! Thanks!

Whatever you get, I would suggest buying used, as you'll save money up front and give yourself the freedom to trade up again later at minimal cost. A couple of obvious candidates that are easy to find at reasonable prices. Titleist AP2 Ping I15 Mizuno MP-52 Shaft wise, you'll probably be fine with something fairly standard like DG S300 or KBS Tour 120.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just noticed you were new to the forum, welcome.

There are lots of irons out there.  I believe you are correct that your irons are holding you back.

I would find a good fitter and try different clubs.  When I was looking for irons I tried lots of clubs over several sessions.  Depending on the day I would like a different club.  I believe you can pick a club with the level of forgiveness you want and then have them fit.  From there it is practice.

I used to play Callaway X-18's.  When I hit them pure it was....pure but it was hard to do.  They were not fit to me and I believe I did funky things to compensate.  I now play 4 up clubs and the Callaways were std or 0.  I had seriously toe deep divots.

I got fit to a less forgiving club but my miss hits are now less punishing.  My handicap dropped 3 points in a month and is continuing to fall.  I now believe a miss fit in the iron department was making it difficult to improve.  I may be the exception but it made me believe.

I would start with the pro who is giving you lessons and ask him where you should go.  When you say your swing is 90-95 mph what club are you talking about?

The 90-95 is my driver, but that was a month or so ago and my swing shape is extremely different since then. Could be more, could be less now a days. I completely agree with you on the club fitting though, everyone that i've seen do it has had major improvements in their game rapidly after doing so.

Props to you for your handicap and age.  Wish I would have taken up golf sooner than the age of 19.  ughhh.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

LOL I did not start playing regularly until I was 45!

My son who is 13 is an awesome golfer.  If he keeps at it his handicap can be whatever he wants it to be.  He can go to our club and play all day for "free" if he walks it.

I wish I had that chance.

Originally Posted by erock9174

Props to you for your handicap and age.  Wish I would have taken up golf sooner than the age of 19.  ughhh.

I wish I started before 25!  I'm a little resentful that I showed a strong interest in golf starting around 12 but was never given the opportunity to pursue it.  Of course, once I had the financial means to do it myself I was not interested until I had "golf buddies."

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Mizuno MX-15, MX-19, MX-100, MX-200 or JPX-800.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Mizuno MX-15, MX-19, MX-100, MX-200 or JPX-800.

What are Mizuno's GI Irons, or their clubs for high handicappers?

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

What are Mizuno's GI Irons, or their clubs for high handicappers?

Anything in the MX or JPX-800 line.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!