IGNORED

BIZARRE hole-in-one! Or not?

bbqueen
Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by deasy55

Who said I was taking life too seriously?  I only said that you don't have a choice about calling it a hole in one if it was a competition......

I personally wouldn't call it a hole in 1 either in a fun round....unless I like lying to myself

wasnt trying to imply that you take life to seriously, sorry if it came off that way. I dont consider it lying to myself though either, seeing as i dont get paid to play i dont try to be hard on myself out on the course. I just go out there and have a good time. I dont plan on making a career out of the game, and at the end of the day if i hit an ace on a par 3 or a birdie it wont change me as an individual. But everyone plays differently, i allow my friends to take mulligans too. But i do agree during tournament play, the rules need to be followed.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by GoIrish

I dont consider it lying to myself though either, seeing as i dont get paid to play i dont try to be hard on myself out on the course.

Unfortunately, it's still lying to yourself to consider that a hole in one.

It's like saying "I don't take math seriously, so I tell myself 2+2 = 7.3 and I'm okay with that."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, how's this for a situation, this was on a par four so no contraversy on whether it's an ace.  The flag sticks at a muni course I play don't have a round top, but rather an indention.  I've noticed this a few times and thought it odd.  Anyway, buddy is about 130 out for his second shot.  He hits a HIGH shot that landed just off the green, bounces straight up (as we walk up, we see that he actually hit a sprinkler head) and lands. . . . you guessed it, on this indention on top of the flag stick.  In the spirit of "playing the ball as it lies" he takes his putter and taps the ball off and has 12" for the MOST uncommon par I'll prolly ever see..  I claim to be a decent "rulesman" but honestly, no idea here.  Craziest thing I ever saw, but now when we play, there is always countless jokes about whether he wants the flag left in!!!

But I'm guessing MOST golfers would not be CERTAIN about the proper ruling in this scenerio.  We did the best we could.  More importantly, we have a great memory from "that one time" and isn't that mostly more important!!!!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

The ball landed on top of the flag stick and came to rest there? Sounds unbelievable, but strange things do happen. I'm sure this situation has never come up, so there probably has never been made a decision on it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I think the strangest thing that happened to us when we were out was when we were watching guys arguing over whether "another guy" in their group had an Eagle putt or not. Apparently the stick was leaning in towards him and the stick was not removed prior to his putt. The putt actually got pinched between the stick and the hole and his buddies were arguing with him that it was not an Eagle, while he was arguing back that it was. That was a pretty funny argument to watch over a beer and a dog! Off topic but still funny.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I think the strangest thing that happened to us when we were out was when we were watching guys arguing over whether "another guy" in their group had an Eagle putt or not. Apparently the stick was leaning in towards him and the stick was not removed prior to his putt. The putt actually got pinched between the stick and the hole and his buddies were arguing with him that it was not an Eagle, while he was arguing back that it was. That was a pretty funny argument to watch over a beer and a dog! Off topic but still funny.

Was he on the putting surface when he made his putt?

We didn't know the guys or the actual story because we didn't see it but we overheard it (being loud as day, it was pretty heated). Apparently the guy was putting on the fairway to the green. I know the hole that it happened on, the fairway is a really nice down-slope right to the hole. You can actually get a 60ft putt right on the hole by literally using a "tap-in" motion. Of course, you first have to be unlucky enough for your ball to not continue down the slope to begin with. 19/20 times, I end up down the slope on the green and was only able to putt it once (came to rest after rolling sideways from the rough).

EDIT: The guy's argument was that there was physically no way to remove the pin for other players without the ball dropping in the hole. His buddies told him the ball needed to be replaced next to the cup as it never cleared itself into the hole. It was really funny to watch these guys go all out over this.

As a new member of this forum I'd like to say that there are a lot of real jerks on it. Every thread has bitchy sniping and pedantiic one upmanship. It's pretty pathetic. Loads of correcting grammer and spelling and lots of just plain rudeness. How about treating people online with the same basic manners that you would treat someone with in person instead of being a bitchy coward hiding behind a screen. For some context I post on YA! and this is worse.

Originally Posted by SpannersReady

As a new member of this forum I'd like . . . snip . . . hiding behind a screen.

Kudos!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This is the internet, what do you expect? I find it amusing that the general public in here finds it unlikely that a 7 hcp don't know the rules.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

This is the internet, what do you expect?

I find it amusing that the general public in here finds it unlikely that a 7 hcp don't know the rules.

I'm golfing to a 8 (on 9) so a 16 (on 18), and I don't know most of the rules.  I usually learn them when I violate them in league and am penalized, but I'd say that I easily don't know most of the rules.  But the real question you should ask yourself is; does it matter?  Is it worth ridiculing the new guy who just happens to be excited about some crazy thing that occurred?  Nice welcome to the community.

I'd say it isn't worth it, but I also like to think that I'm not an *******.

Furthermore, I'm more wary of handicap liars in the other direction (sandbaggers).  Those people make me crazy.

Yeah I will rarely question a low handicap because if he's using that in a tournament, that's fine. It's the guy posting 18-22 that shoots Par that you need to worry about and question the character of. If you don't play in tournaments though and think you're a 7, a 2, scratch, or 20 - who cares . As long as we're having fun you can use every excuse known to man. I won't question you if we're playing casual - but you do owe me a beer on the 18 for closest to the pin. Bet me $2 and I'll lose. Bet me a cold one (equal to $2) and I'll hit the stick - I'm weird like that lol.

This is similar to bowling. If I'm heads up in an 80% league vs a bowler posting 220, bravo to you. If you're coming in without an average (175 default) and I'm spotting you 25 and you throw a 740 series on me.. we're having words.

Originally Posted by Spyder

EDIT: The guy's argument was that there was physically no way to remove the pin for other players without the ball dropping in the hole. His buddies told him the ball needed to be replaced next to the cup as it never cleared itself into the hole. It was really funny to watch these guys go all out over this.

This is just for those HC 7 people who might not know it was an eagle:

17-4. Ball Resting Against Flagstick
When the flagstick is in the hole and a player’s ball when not holed rests against it, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

I'm golfing to a 8 (on 9) so a 16 (on 18), and I don't know most of the rules.  I usually learn them when I violate them in league and am penalized, but I'd say that I easily don't know most of the rules.  But the real question you should ask yourself is; does it matter?  Is it worth ridiculing the new guy who just happens to be excited about some crazy thing that occurred?  Nice welcome to the community.

I'd say it isn't worth it, but I also like to think that I'm not an *******.

Furthermore, I'm more wary of handicap liars in the other direction (sandbaggers).  Those people make me crazy.

Well, it was not a hole in one, so I'm afraid there is nothing for me to get excited about. This is a forum for golfers that are more interested in the sport than most, so you'll have to forgive them for not acting like a random guy perhaps would. Rules matter to me because they are the foundation of tthe game. Anyone who claim they have a handicap should know the rules. The score is a result of how well we play and often how well we know the rules. If you don't carry a handicap or care at all about your scores in that way, fine, then say you don't have a handicap.

Note: This thread is 4627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!