IGNORED

Eagles signing Mike Vick to 6yrs/100 million....

RyderJ
Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RyderJ

Would you say that this season is a complete bust for the Eagles if they don't win the big dance?

Being an Eagles fan I would.  I am sick of seeing them go far in the playoffs and then blowing it.  I don't see how fans or the players can be happy with anything less than a super bowl.  They have done everything else under Reid, its time to win one.

Quote:

Being an Eagles fan I would.  I am sick of seeing them go far in the playoffs and then blowing it.  I don't see how fans or the players can be happy with anything less than a super bowl.  They have done everything else under Reid, its time to win one.

Yeah, they were pushing the boundaries of 'acceptable years without a superbowl win' about the last time I was playing one of those real wood drivers in your avatar. I've been watching since the Roman Gabriel days, I'm sure there are others who have been watching longer. I still think McNabb is the best quarterback we have had but he couldn't get it done (not that they tried to put an offense around him). In the end it's all the same - Ron "the Polish Pop Gun" Jaworski, Randall Cunningham, Bubby Brister, Jeff Garcia, Kolb, Detmers etc. I see no problem giving Vick a shot at it, it can't really get any worse.

Oh I am happy they are giving Vick a shot, I think he earned that last year.  McNabb was a great quarter back he just could not get it done.  I still can not believe that they lost to TB in 2002, they should have won it that year.

Yeah, you just saw it coming with everyone talking about “ Tampa Bay has never won a game where the temperature was below 40 degree's” or some such. That and Freddie Mitchells 4 th and 26 catch get the old facepalm whenever someone brings them up. Hopefully we get a chance in the next few years. It could be a good time for philly between the Flyers, Phils and Beagles.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think? Is Vick really concussed, or is he some kind of super-beast? The way that play looked on Sunday night, I would have thought he broke his damn neck...or at the very least a pretty good concussion and some whiplash.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

I think Vick is concussed. The way his head moved after hitting his teammate looked like his neck should've snapped off. Didn't look too good.

As what the thread says, I still think Vick deserves this long term contract. He's pretty much done everything the courts and the NFL wanted him to to repair his image. And after his performance last year, how can you not?

What do you guys think? Is Vick really concussed, or is he some kind of super-beast? The way that play looked on Sunday night, I would have thought he broke his damn neck...or at the very least a pretty good concussion and some whiplash.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I thought the one where the DB led with his head looked worse but it is impossible to really evaluate these things.  An inch here there is the difference between playing the next series and being out for 3 months. Personally I think there is no way Vick should play this weekend. Pretty much all the studies say that people go back way too soon.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

I think Vick is concussed. The way his head moved after hitting his teammate looked like his neck should've snapped off. Didn't look too good.

As what the thread says, I still think Vick deserves this long term contract. He's pretty much done everything the courts and the NFL wanted him to to repair his image. And after his performance last year, how can you not?

I saw that and it looked very similar when Desean Jackson and Dunta Robinson collided last season (ironic that it was an Eagles game too).

Originally Posted by x129

I thought the one where the DB led with his head looked worse but it is impossible to really evaluate these things.  An inch here there is the difference between playing the next series and being out for 3 months. Personally I think there is no way Vick should play this weekend. Pretty much all the studies say that people go back way too soon.

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

An inch is right. Another inch to the side and the guy misses Maclin altogether.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're probably dead on...he shouldn't play...BUT...something tells me he will. I agree also with the fact that most football players come back way too soon from concussions...it's an ego thing imho.

Originally Posted by x129  Personally I think there is no way Vick should play this weekend. Pretty much all the studies say that people go back way too soon.

The War Sticks:

I think it's great for the players that we're more aware of the damage that can be caused by concussions and the league has enforced policies regarding them but I think it's a bit too much.  I've had 3 diagnosed concussions and probably a few undiagnosed while playing football and basically was told when the headaches stop you can play if you feel up to it.  Once the headaches stopped I felt 100% so I don't know if it's ego or just that you feel ready to play and you want to be out there with your team.

You're probably dead on...he shouldn't play...BUT...something tells me he will. I agree also with the fact that most football players come back way too soon from concussions...it's an ego thing imho.

Joe Paradiso

Just because someone thinks they "feel fine" doesn't necessarily mean that all systems are go.

When I was playing football I wanted to be on the field at all cost. It was almost like playing through an injury was a badge of honor...even a concussion. I played football in Texas though, so it was a religion of sorts....lol. Having said this, I do believe there is always a little ego involved in football with regards to injuries and/or concussions. After all, you are going out there and sacrificing your body on EVERY play....you can't do that effectively and not have at least a small amount of an ego trip going on.

The War Sticks:

You think Jay Cutler should have had an ego and continue to play at last years NFC Championship game?

I don't think he should have but apparently everyone calls him a quitter.

Just because someone thinks they "feel fine" doesn't necessarily mean that all systems are go.

When I was playing football I wanted to be on the field at all cost. It was almost like playing through an injury was a badge of honor...even a concussion. I played football in Texas though, so it was a religion of sorts....lol. Having said this, I do believe there is always a little ego involved in football with regards to injuries and/or concussions. After all, you are going out there and sacrificing your body on EVERY play....you can't do that effectively and not have at least a small amount of an ego trip going on.

Best Regards,
Ryan

No, I don't and that's my point. Cutler was called out by his peers for doing what he and the doctors thought best for his body. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of players in the NFL that would have done what Cutler did, as evidenced by the ridicule he received. I know it was only a handful of players that called him out...but there were FAR more players that were thinking that same thing and did the appropriate thing and kept their mouths shut.

You think Jay Cutler should have had an ego and continue to play at last years NFC Championship game?

I don't think he should have but apparently everyone calls him a quitter.

The War Sticks:

In fairness to the guys that called Cutler out, no one knew how hurt he was.  Cutler's a tough guy to figure out as pointed out by the recent Sports Illustrated article.  He appeared to be able to play and as you know, the mindset is if they don't carry you off on a stretcher you play in the playoffs.

Compare Cutler to Romo this past week playing with broken ribs and a collapsed lung, I'm sure he could have sat, likely would have taken some abuse for bailing and then found redemption when the doctors reports came out.  Both had injuries that would justify a decision to sit out, Cutler did, Romo didn't.  Who do you want as QB on your team?

No, I don't and that's my point. Cutler was called out by his peers for doing what he and the doctors thought best for his body. Unfortunately there aren't a ton of players in the NFL that would have done what Cutler did, as evidenced by the ridicule he received. I know it was only a handful of players that called him out...but there were FAR more players that were thinking that same thing and did the appropriate thing and kept their mouths shut.

Joe Paradiso

You don't play sports period if you don't have an ego.  The reason most play competitive sports is because internally they believe they are better and want to compete to prove it to others or themselves.  What athletes say to the press isn't what they say to themselves, they are much more humble in the press.  That combined with the fear and insecurity we all have which is every guy on the bench is waiting for someone to get injured so they have a chance to take the starting job from you.

Joe Paradiso

The more likely reason why he was called out is because they were in the NFC Championship game. Cutler did the 'smart' thing and sat out and I think Romo should have done the same (as a Niners fan, I wished he had sat out...haha).

For Romo to play is admirable, but being that it's only week 2, it was very risky. It was a good game, but to risk part of the season to win a game against the Niners (a non conference team), might have been a dumb decision if he got a more serious injury.

Best Regards,
Ryan

As a Cowgirls fan, I wish Romo had sat out as well...assuming he doesn't end up playing Monday. Cutler absolutely did the smart thing by sitting out. I wonder how long Peyton Manning had really been having neck issues before finally getting the first surgery.

The more likely reason why he was called out is because they were in the NFC Championship game. Cutler did the 'smart' thing and sat out and I think Romo should have done the same (as a Niners fan, I wished he had sat out...haha).

For Romo to play is admirable, but being that it's only week 2, it was very risky. It was a good game, but to risk part of the season to win a game against the Niners (a non conference team), might have been a dumb decision if he got a more serious injury.

The War Sticks:

Note: This thread is 4630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!