IGNORED

Dayton, OH

blcox
Note: This thread is 1886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Our staff are a team of knowledgeable, educated and hard working individuals that dedicate many hours into making our golf courses playable and enjoyable to all.  Sand bunkers are by far the most costly and labor intensive task on a golf course.  This is why you see many golf courses moving toward laying sod on their bunkers.   Our bunkers get raked on a daily basis using a piece of equipment designed for raking bunkers and large rocks get picked during each rake.  This is however an ongoing task; not one that just gets done preseason to last all season long.  Kittyhawk is unique for many reasons; it sits on top of the city’s well field and below our beautiful course are water aquifers.  Rocks and gravel make up an important layer in the aquifer system and because of this we tend to see larger rocks in our sand traps that work up from the soil beneath, especially after it rains.   Kittyhawk has some really big bunkers, probably some of the largest in the area; two to three times the size of an average bunker.  Rocks will always reoccur.  For the safety of our patron and their equipment we encourage all golfers to exercise Rule 24-1 of the USGA Rules of Golf:  Stones in Bunkers; allowing the removal of stones in bunkers by declaring them to be movable obstructions.

From the director of golf for the City of Dayton

I think their equipment is either inadequate or not properly being used. I doubt they rack then daily.

I do get the whole, Kittyhawk was built on well field. That does pose some issues with gravel and rocks being part of the old filtration system.

Note to self, course has allowed Rule 24-1 :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From the director of golf for the City of Dayton

I think their equipment is either inadequate or not properly being used. I doubt they rack then daily.

I do get the whole, Kittyhawk was built on well field. That does pose some issues with gravel and rocks being part of the old filtration system.

Note to self, course has allowed Rule 24-1

I'm not sure they know the rules very well...

http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=91&Rule;=23

- Shane

Has anyone played Meadowbrook CC in Clayton? Golfnow has tee times on the flaming deal for 16.50 and regular tee times for 30. Sounds like a good deal, just wondering if it is worth the 35 minute drive

Has anyone played Meadowbrook CC in Clayton? Golfnow has tee times on the flaming deal for 16.50 and regular tee times for 30. Sounds like a good deal, just wondering if it is worth the 35 minute drive

I've played it. Very nice course. This is now a public course. The owners donated it to the city of Union. I would definitely give it the thumbs up. The last hole is a real bi***.

- Shane

Definitely need to get a round in there at some point. Maybe if I don't bankrupt myself on vacation next week, I'll get to it the week after.

If anyone's interested, maybe we could make it a TST round.

It's about the same distance from me as most of the courses I've gone to with you guys so depending on the day I'd be willing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

" Definitely need to get a round in there at some point. Maybe if I don't bankrupt myself on vacation next week, I'll get to it the week after. If anyone's interested, maybe we could make it a TST round." I'm always game to venture out and meet new people. It looks like a course worth the trip!

I've played it. Very nice course. This is now a public course. The owners donated it to the city of Union. I would definitely give it the thumbs up. The last hole is a real bi***.

Sold it for $1 to the City of Clayton #taxwriteoff :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

@Buck Nutz . How was Sugar Isle looking the other day?

With the repeated failure of the Kittyhawk crew to operate lawnmowers properly, I think I might venture out a bit more.

@Buck Nutz. How was Sugar Isle looking the other day?

With the repeated failure of the Kittyhawk crew to operate lawnmowers properly, I think I might venture out a bit more.

Did you notice that nice gash in the 18th green on the hawk? If it isn't an idiot who can't operate the machine then you get a hydraulic leak that just kills grass.

Honestly I think the City should close one of the courses. They basically have 4 courses running on two crews in my opinion.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Did you notice that nice gash in the 18th green on the hawk? If it isn't an idiot who can't operate the machine then you get a hydraulic leak that just kills grass.

Honestly I think the City should close one of the courses. They basically have 4 courses running on two crews in my opinion.

I tortured myself on the Eagle on Saturday. Spent most of the round trying to find my balls in the rough. I lost at least five to that crap. Got pissed off real quick and I suck when I get pissed off.

It's just hard to figure why they are having these sort of problems.  Not sure who the Superintendent is (or if that's even a title they use), but maybe they need to consider his further employment. Perhaps you are right. If they can focus their efforts on the Hawk, that might be for the best until the replacements show up.

I tortured myself on the Eagle on Saturday. Spent most of the round trying to find my balls in the rough. I lost at least five to that crap. Got pissed off real quick and I suck when I get pissed off.

It's just hard to figure why they are having these sort of problems.  Not sure who the Superintendent is (or if that's even a title they use), but maybe they need to consider his further employment. Perhaps you are right. If they can focus their efforts on the Hawk, that might be for the best until the replacements show up.

Yea, this spring has been good for the courses, bad for the grounds crew. The rough is extra thick right now. The ball doesn't sit up at all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I saw that yesterday. The course is still in horrendous shape. I told Jana that they're mowing too fast. You can see where the mower is plain missing spots because they are driving it too fast. If you aren't going to do the job right, then don't do it at all. The rough wasn't too bad on the Hawk yesterday other than to clumps of dead grass everywhere, but the fairway was almost as long. With two courses, you could open one late every few days and mow later when it isn't so dewy and mulch up the clumps of dead grass. They haven't watered the greens yet, so they weren't holding shots. Time to write another goat track review...

- Shane

@Buck Nutz . How was Sugar Isle looking the other day? With the repeated failure of the Kittyhawk crew to operate lawnmowers properly, I think I might venture out a bit more.

I would give it 3.5/ 5 right now. A few things I took note of from the top: They have a new GM (not sure if he is labeled a pro or not) so the course is changing, in my mind towards the better. I noticed more selection of golf items in the clubhouse, shirts, clubs, putters etc We were notified that they changed the 9's so what was one of the funnest closing holes in golf IMO, is now number 9. This allows you to pass the clubhouse at the turn to get a refreshment if you choose since they no longer operate the white snack shack between the old turn. The old #5 is now the 10th next to the driving range and you close across the road on the par 5 as the 18th. I like this because it is a good chance to walk off the course with birdie and a good feeling. The only downside is I spent a bit of time making a yardage book this week and they were all out of order (really no big deal). The next noticeable change is the GM is a fan of the "tee it forward" program. They are running 5 sets of tees with the white being in the old red location. We noticed after two holes and moved back to blues (the old whites). It didn't effect OUR play but what it did was move the very front set to a friendly condition that makes it feel I could take my kids out and they would have more fun since its much more manageable. As for the course itself, it is in pretty good shape. The fairways could have used a cut, it looks like it had been 3-4 days. The rough was manageable and the bunkers were in real good shape except for one. It was marked as ground under repair and they were adding drain tile (not a mark against the course, just noting it). The greens were as fast and smooth. Not much in the way of ball mark damage. I think they will have an issue once July hits. There is not much irrigation and the course is already hard. Play everything 10-15 yards shorter than true because it bounces. Even a Pro V with a 52 degree wedge was rolling out 10-12 ft. The down side, where I knocked some off the rating was the dandelions. It seems they got behind on treating and the rough is full of them. I did see them out with a big sprayer so hopefully that turns soon. All in all, it was enjoyable and I would definitely go back. We paid $25 on a Sunday through GolfNow so it's hard to beat!!

I would encourage everyone to write a GolfNow review of Kittyhawk. I did one last year and think I will add another saying that it's getting worse. I learned last night that they did lose the good greens keeper that came over from Moss Creek 5 years ago. Apparently someone filed a grievance because he was painting tee markers. He was the best thing that ever happened to that course and it was in good shape under his care.

On another note, I also learned that Twin Base GC is now open to the public. It's the one on WPAFB off Rt 444. Sounds like the back 9 is still soggy. Drainage problem??? I also heard that someone is going to reopen Greene CC and make it public, but someone else says that the lawyers are not willing to OK the deal. The drama continues. I drove by last weekend and the course appears to be in playable condition. ???

- Shane

I would encourage everyone to write a GolfNow review of Kittyhawk. I did one last year and think I will add another saying that it's getting worse. I learned last night that they did lose the good greens keeper that came over from Moss Creek 5 years ago. Apparently someone filed a grievance because he was painting tee markers. He was the best thing that ever happened to that course and it was in good shape under his care.

On another note, I also learned that Twin Base GC is now open to the public. It's the one on WPAFB off Rt 444. Sounds like the back 9 is still soggy. Drainage problem??? I also heard that someone is going to reopen Greene CC and make it public, but someone else says that the lawyers are not willing to OK the deal. The drama continues. I drove by last weekend and the course appears to be in playable condition. ???

Wait, I'm not sure I understand correctly, they filed a grievance because he was painting tee markers? I don't understand how/why that's a bad thing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

That does sound strange. Who knows with the Muni courses.  Probably was doing a union members job and someone complained. I've hear that happens a lot in Dayton.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 1886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!