IGNORED

My Swing (Hogan Project)

Hogan Project
Note:Β This thread is 4109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by Hogan Project

Quote:

Yaah, that's the seam I thought you were referring to. But the confusing part is that I see his elbow always going behind the seam. You will have to post the video you are referring to so I have a clear understanding.

Love looking at Hogan swings. Β I'd say the right elbow stays in front of the shirt seem here. Β Obviously the "shirt seem" moves.

Here's the link Β http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf2o_NtA9ug&feature;=related

Hogan P1-P4 posterior.jpg

Hogan P1-P4 dtl 2.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok......got it. I'll look into this "shirt seam" business at some point. But it's gonna be difficult, because I do see where you have drawn it in with the red line, but I don't know where it truly is. I can't see the seam in the low resolution videos; I don't want to assume anything about its orientation. But I will definitely look into it.

(Q : ) I really enjoy these videos, they're awesome!!!! any how i sent you a message on youtube stating the same thing.....im wondering what did you use in training aids to get to this point.....ive been playing for 5 months and i have the same desire for Hogan as you do....and want to accomplish this same swing.....but i dont know how to go about it....

i have some dvds and they're's all kinds of clips on youtube.....what route did you go....

by the way my name is XXXXXXX, i live in eastern KY........keep up the great work...

also Jim Mclean has a new book about hogan coming out at the first of the year....supose to be a good one!!!!

I'm glad ive found someone like you that has the same desire for Hogan as I do....I've read 5 lessons twice and power golf briefly once.

there's bunches and bunches of good references out there on hogans swing. such as a book called the fundamentals of hogan by David Ledbetter.....now i like that book, but the arrogant Ledbetter tries to emphasize what hogan was doing wrong....i hate that part about it.....i think hogan may have a better track record than Ledbetter...lol

The thing I've found real confusing is the things that hogan states in the book such as the elbows tied together, and feet and so on i could go for days......anyhow i really think you are getting it down pat.....how long have you been trying to accompish this????

I hope you dont mind me asking questions cause ive studied hogan probably as muchas you have.........so ask away....

Keep up the good work, hope to hear from you soon...

(A: ) Let's communicate via the public forum threads. Talking via email is cool, but only 2 brains are active. In public forums, there are potentially hundreds of brains involved, and hundreds of backgrounds, and maybe even one or two people that actually understand this stinkin game. One of those hundreds of forum users may see something that we're discussing, and may have some insight that could help us both figure this crazy game.

The route I initially thought about taking was to read the 5 Fundamentals book, because Hogan's name was on it, but I was hesitant because I've heard of and spoken to many many people that want the Hogan swing, and are trying to find "the secret" by reading the book, but are nowhere nearer than when they started. So, my thinking was "why would I want to read the book if nobody has been able to swing like Hogan after reading it."

So my logic is to analyze his swing in 2-dimensional videos and compare mine to that.

And, there is no secret. Everything Hogan did on the course and range was witnessed by thousand of eyes, and hundreds of cameras. There was never a cape, or magic wand, or top hat involved lol. Now, David Copperfield is a different story.....how the heck did he make an airplane disappear lol????

I posted my usual routine a while back in the thread. It's basically record my swing, then compare it to Hogan's. Most times, I'm working on a particular area or bodypart.

As far as training aids, I did build a PVC plane device. It is just a pvc pipe that I set to the right of me at address. It's set at the angle of a 5 iron. Helps me to keep the club on the plane line during the takeaway and upswing. It is also handy during the downswing. Hogan's club always appears to be glued to the plane line.

• Administrator

Ok......got it. I'll look into this "shirt seam" business at some point. But it's gonna be difficult, because I do see where you have drawn it in with the red line, but I don't know where it truly is. I can't see the seam in the low resolution videos; I don't want to assume anything about its orientation. But I will definitely look into it.

It's pretty much directly under the arm pit down the midline of the body. It's an actual seam on most shirts.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

I am intruiged by Hogan's transition. I want this area in red.

Just be careful. Consider what his right elbow did to make the clubhead do this from the face-on view, and other parts of the body, too. You're looking at a 2D image for a 3D swing.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Just be careful. Consider what his right elbow did to make the clubhead do this from the face-on view, and other parts of the body, too. You're looking at a 2D image for a 3D swing.

Will do. I know what you mean.Β In my analysis of Hogan, I have a pretty good understanding of what he was doing, but I just haven't trained myself on it yet. And, the honest part is that even though I now know what he is doing, I'm not sure if I can get my body to do it. I'll know by Take 100.

Will do. I know what you mean.Β In my analysis of Hogan, I have a pretty good understanding of what he was doing, but I just haven't trained myself on it yet. And, the honest part is that even though I now know what he is doing, I'm not sure if I can get my body to do it. I'll know by Take 100.

Regarding the 2D vs 3D: If I can get my 2D to match,Β I'll be just that much closer. Then I'll focus on putting it all together.

Saw this video last night, thought you might like it, Geoff makes a lot of good points

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

(Q: ) Why on earth would you want to duplicate the Ben Hogan Swing at all?

Unless of course you want to develop an out of control hook, and then spend half a lifetime pasting compensations on top of it to straighten it out.

It's a bit like having plastic surgery to make yourself look like Brad Pitt. And even if you do it perfectly, you won't be able to act worth ****.

THe Hogan swing is not as horrible as Tiger's current version - granted. And not nearly as horrible as Norman's. But they are all horrible. These guys got their success despite there swing mechanics, not because of them.

(A: ) Hmmmm, this is a very good question. I've never really thought about why I would want to duplicate Hogan's swing. But after thinking about it for a while, the answer is quite simple.....it's because I want to develop an out of control hook, and then spend half a lifetime pasting compensations on top of it to straighten it out.

I had another thought about what you said regarding plastic surgey and Brad Pitt.

You said "It's a bit like having plastic surgery to make yourself look like Brad Pitt. And even if you do it perfectly, you won't be able to act worth spit."

I don't know if you realize it, but your statement is absolutely brilliant! Here's my analogy: Let's say that for years you look like the elephant man, then you sign up for plastic surgery to look like Brad Pitt. The surgery is a complete success. Who chares about acting.........you look like Brad Pitt now.....lololl!

Note to self: Make a t-shirt that says "Your success is defined by you r social community ."

In this video, I was just playing around with a few things that felt nothing like a golf swing. During my analysis, I ran the slow-mo a few times just to see how ridiculous the swing looked, and was shocked to see that I was SOMEHOW getting close to the angle-hinged position. I WISH I KNEW HOW I WAS GETTING THERE!!!!!!!! It would be so helpful if I could just type exactly what I am doing, but I have no idea right now.

Ever since I was experimenting with something I saw in a couple of Hogan's videos, my sucky swing now has a different feel. This is what it feels like now (from the 1:12 thru 1:18 mark). Like the ball is being lifted from the ground or something. Then the club wants to shoot out of my hands and through my floor boards. I have to purposefully stop it. MY NEXT HOUSE WILL HAVE HIGH ENOUGH CEILINGS TO DO A COMPLETE SWING!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about Moe Norman, but the guy here looks close.

I can just hear a doubter saying "Moe Norman was the best ball striker EVER. Nobody can or will ever get close to swinging like him."

Why not the same for the Hogan swing?? Now where the heck is Hogan's best pupil hiding??

So manyΒ  golfers borrowed off Hogan you would need an stadium to hold them all.

Moe - Yoda (gave lessons)

Hogan -Β  Darth Vader. (Dutch for earth father. Dig it out of the dirt - alone.)

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Note:Β This thread is 4109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!