IGNORED

Delaware or PA

mnq99
Note: This thread is 4729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi! I am planning a few days with a friend to drive down from CT to get 3 days of golf in Delaware or PA. Any ideas of an area that has a few decent golf courses? We are mid range handicappers so not overly hard courses. We would like to stay in a hotel and have access to 2-3 public courses. Thanks in advance. -M

Anyone have any ideas for mnq99?  Here is some stuff I've found

http://pagolftrips.com/

http://www.pennsylvaniagolf.com/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in Bear DE.  In my opinion the 3 best public courses (also some of the more expensive) in this area are Golf Club at Glen Mills (Glen Mills, PA), White Clay Creek (Christina, DE), and Bulle Rocke (Havre de Grace, MD).  If you stay somewhere in Wilmington you are 20-30 minutes from Glen Mills and Bulle Rocke and 5-10 minutes from White Clay.  White Clay is still recovering from the hurricane and was closed for about 2 months.  I just played there thursday and it's like the greens haven't been touched.  I am somewhat biased b/c I'm a member there, but I'm sure anyone on this board who's played there would say I'm not too far off in my opinions.

If you're looking for golf on the cheap.  Inniscrone (Avondale PA) (this is a love it or hate it course, I love it for $40), Rock Manor (Wilmington, DE) (5 hour round), and Running Deer (Elmer, NJ $55, tough course needs money put into it).

I'm in Newark, DE, and IMO there really isn't anywhere around here that I'd actually plan a trip around, but some of the courses piyow9 listed are alright.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I'm in Newark, DE, and IMO there really isn't anywhere around here that I'd actually plan a trip around, but some of the courses piyow9 listed are alright.

Have you played Glen Mills? I would put that up against a lot of public courses as long as it is in good shape. I haven't played there in 2 years but I can't imagine they'd let it go bad. White Clay Creek is typically in good shape but it's not an amazing course. Bulle Rock is very nice but a little over priced in my eyes but if you have the coin it's worth a play. Wyncote isn't far and it's a decent track more a links course but as long as it's not soaked it's a nice play with a good lay out. Broad Run in West Chester is a decent track with a good price plus this time of the year it would probably be in good shape.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Have you played Glen Mills? I would put that up against a lot of public courses as long as it is in good shape. I haven't played there in 2 years but I can't imagine they'd let it go bad. White Clay Creek is typically in good shape but it's not an amazing course. Bulle Rock is very nice but a little over priced in my eyes but if you have the coin it's worth a play. Wyncote isn't far and it's a decent track more a links course but as long as it's not soaked it's a nice play with a good lay out. Broad Run in West Chester is a decent track with a good price plus this time of the year it would probably be in good shape.

Glen Mills in PA? No, that's a bit of a drive for me. I haven't played a lot of the courses around here, but from what I hear (and read on the internet) there are a lot of overpriced courses in the $70 a round range. They're usually in good shape, just not great tracks. OP, sorry I'm not more of a help.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Glen Mills in PA? No, that's a bit of a drive for me. I haven't played a lot of the courses around here, but from what I hear (and read on the internet) there are a lot of overpriced courses in the $70 a round range. They're usually in good shape, just not great tracks. OP, sorry I'm not more of a help.

I would agree with that statement but I would also say that for a lot of courses all over. However Glen Mills is worth the price it's a great course plus the lay out is fantastic. It was built in an old rock quarry so a lot of the rock formations are built into the course. If you can catch a nice day with winter rates it's worth the drive to check it out.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Glenn Mills, Broad Run (old Tattersall course), Honeybrook and Wyncote are all in about a 45 minute radius. Pick someplace in the middle (besides Coatesville) and it's a short drive to each course.

I'm from Southeast PA and agree with the posters above recommending Glen Mills (only drawback in no liquor license, but otherwise perfect), Wyncote and Broad Run for a 2-3 course buddy trip.  This time of year, Glen Mills and Broad Run will be stunning with the fall foliage.  You could get a hotel in West Chester, which is an awesome little town, and have excellent evening entertainment as well.

If you wanted to go further south, you could go to the Delaware Beaches (Rehoboth, Dewey or Bethany).  Baywood Greens in Rehoboth is a really nice course, and there are plenty of nice courses in Ocean City Maryland (short drive away).  If it is a weekend trip, you could still count on decent evening entertainment and plenty of places to stay that wouldn't be too expensive.

This thread makes me miss living in West Chester but I'd agree with Grumpster especially about not staying in Coatesville. I'm actually going back there for a wedding this weekend so I'm going to sneak a round in at wyncote and glen mills.

if you are coming from NE you should go  to either the Jersey Shore or OC MD...Jersey shore has better night life as long as yu like to eat drink and gamble...if those don't appeal (? WTF ?) to you go to OC MD and you will find some pretty damn good golf.

Glen Mills is very nice and Wyncote is good as well but for a weekend buddies trip...not so much.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

if you are coming from NE you should go  to either the Jersey Shore or OC MD...Jersey shore has better night life as long as yu like to eat drink and gamble...if those don't appeal (? WTF ?) to you go to OC MD and you will find some pretty damn good golf.

Glen Mills is very nice and Wyncote is good as well but for a weekend buddies trip...not so much.

I agree with this also but the only problem with going to the shore is unless you find a package deal the golf gets very expensive.

Played Glenn Mills yesterday. Nice course for $79 but I personally wouldn't recommend it for a high handicappers that don't want a hard course. I only played Wyncote once but my recollection is that's not a high-handicap friendly course either. Don't know about Broad Run or Honeybrook as I have never played them.

Might want to look into the courses in the Poconos area of PA. I haven't played any of them but I think there are quite a few in that area. Not a fan of the Jersey Shore. Ocean City Maryland is nicer IMO but a bit of a haul.

Note: This thread is 4729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!