IGNORED

What is the best high spin golf ball for the price?

Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by 18thbunker

Read again. I never said priced 'head and shoulders' above premium balls.

I said it is not 'head and shoulders' in performance compared to other premium balls.

I read it correctly the first time.

Just because someone quotes you and responds doesn't mean they're disagreeing. I was building off your quote to continue pointing out the facts to the previous quotee. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey guys,

Quick question, and possibly slightly off topic, but:

How do they get these balls to launch lower but at the same time have higher spin? And vice versa?

Does the data mean the launch angle is low, then the spin takes over and then the ball begins to climb?

Constantine

Originally Posted by iacas

First off, they're RARELY more than $0-$5 more, and are almost never $10 except when someone's liquidating old balls or something.

That's your opinion. The problem is you're stating it like it's a fact. So here, I'll "prove" it to you: for my game, and for Dave Wedzik's game (on this I can speak for him), no other ball has the best combination of spin, feel, distance, trajectory, and control as the Pro V1x.

But that's not "proof" and nobody can offer "proof" because it's all opinion. Duh.

That WAS my point buddy...

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by Harmonious

From Golf Digest, around 2009. Spin rates & launch angles for 56 * wedge (robot):

Interesting. I would like to see a more up to date one with the Penta and the "new" Srixon Z-Star…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

That WAS my point buddy...

With all due respect, no, it wasn't. And if you did intend it to come off like that, you failed.

Everyone should be wary of charts and graphs. They'll accurately represent one set of conditions. They may or may not be your conditions, but they're quite likely not to be, and you'd be advised to come up with your own personal charts and graphs (even if they're just rough and in your own mind).

That's the answer to the question: build your own mental model. For some it's the Pro V1 or V1x. For others it's from Bridgestone. Nike. TaylorMade. Callaway. Srixon.

There's no one answer.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Harmonious

From Golf Digest, around 2009. Spin rates & launch angles for 56 * wedge (robot):

It's interesting that the Top Flight Gamer and NXT Tour both spin the same based on this chart....in fact, the gamer launches lower too.

Interesting....I would take this chart for what it's worth though.  I certainly wouldn't take it as gospel.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I know I personally can't play the higher spin Callaway tour ball. Too spinny for me - I try not to spin the ball.

I do like the V1x, the Penta, the Bridgestone B330, and a few others. I also really like the TP Black and for the money the TF Gaver V2 was a home run - too bad you can't get them any more. I wonder which new Callaway ball it will be?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I know I personally can't play the higher spin Callaway tour ball. Too spinny for me - I try not to spin the ball.

I do like the V1x, the Penta, the Bridgestone B330, and a few others. I also really like the TP Black and for the money the TF Gaver V2 was a home run - too bad you can't get them any more. I wonder which new Callaway ball it will be?

I went into GolfTown yesterday and almost cried when the guy told me they don't have the TP Black/LDP anymore....That ball plays like a ProV1X and is priced like the NXT Tour.

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

With all due respect, no, it wasn't. And if you did intend it to come off like that, you failed.

Everyone should be wary of charts and graphs. They'll accurately represent one set of conditions. They may or may not be your conditions, but they're quite likely not to be, and you'd be advised to come up with your own personal charts and graphs (even if they're just rough and in your own mind).

That's the answer to the question: build your own mental model. For some it's the Pro V1 or V1x. For others it's from Bridgestone. Nike. TaylorMade. Callaway. Srixon.

There's no one answer.

Ok, well I guess you win then. I dont know what else to say to get my point across…

Sometimes I feel like arguing on here is pointless. No matter what you say someone doesn't get it. Im sure we could even start a thread about the order of the alphabet and someone would still argue…

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

• Administrator

Ok, well I guess you win then. I dont know what else to say to get my point across…

There's no winning. It's a discussion... but you stated your opinion as if it was some sort of fact that applied to everyone and demanded "proof" that you were "wrong." Opinions can't really be wrong or right (only facts, and if a fact is wrong, it's not much of a fact).

The best ball for the price varies. I know what it is for me. It'll be different for different people. That's about all anyone can really say, unless they want to give more of their opinions on the way they play, the way the various balls perform for them, etc.

P.S. For example, the Callaway balls always struck me as lousy in the wind and far too spinny.

PENTA… Buy 2 dozen, get 1 free... 'nough said!

I agree here.  Taylormade makes some high quality balls.  You can just feel the surface and tell it's of a little more consistent makeup than Titleist balls, not as many rough edges and imperfections.  Try to find some X-out practice balls.  I picked them up for $21/doz.  I played Pro V1x's and still do on occasion.  If I had to pick a (very close) second, I'd say the Pro V1x.  It's got a little softer cover than the Pro V1.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

I agree here.  Taylormade makes some high quality balls.  You can just feel the surface and tell it's of a little more consistent makeup than Titleist balls, not as many rough edges and imperfections.  Try to find some X-out practice balls.  I picked them up for $21/doz.  I played Pro V1x's and still do on occasion.  If I had to pick a (very close) second, I'd say the Pro V1x.  It's got a little softer cover than the Pro V1.

True. EXCEPT... Have you ever noticed that the Penta has a seam…? Just like the older proV1's?? Its the only flaw ive found on the ball…

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

There's no winning. It's a discussion... but you stated your opinion as if it was some sort of fact that applied to everyone and demanded "proof" that you were "wrong." Opinions can't really be wrong or right (only facts, and if a fact is wrong, it's not much of a fact).

The best ball for the price varies. I know what it is for me. It'll be different for different people. That's about all anyone can really say, unless they want to give more of their opinions on the way they play, the way the various balls perform for them, etc.

P.S. For example, the Callaway balls always struck me as lousy in the wind and far too spinny.

Maybe I dont understand which one of my points you're trying to discredit…???

The original question, again, was: "What is the best HIGH SPIN golf ball for the PRICE ?" … Now with the Penta, ProV1, Callaway TOUR i, Bridgestone, Srixon, etc… all being a "premium" ball and all spinning (in theory) the same amount. But with the Taylormade Penta being the only ball under $40. The Penta is IN FACT the cheapest high spinning golf ball for the price.

Every other point was not stated as fact. It was stated as opinion, of which I agree'd with you or you agreed with me, but I guess didn't understand me completely… I dont know iacas.

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

True. EXCEPT... Have you ever noticed that the Penta has a seam…? Just like the older proV1's?? Its the only flaw ive found on the ball…

I have noticed.  Not having any data to declare otherwise, I would like to think of it as a "speed slot" only because I'm partial...

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator

Why is a seam necessarily a flaw? TaylorMade could have made the ball seamless if they wanted to.

The original question, again, was: "What is the best HIGH SPIN golf ball for the PRICE?" … Now with the Penta, ProV1, Callaway TOUR i, Bridgestone, Srixon, etc… all being a "premium" ball and all spinning (in theory) the same amount. But with the Taylormade Penta being the only ball under $40. The Penta is IN FACT the cheapest high spinning golf ball for the price.

You seem to be confusing yourself. The question asks what the BEST ball is. To some, the answer would be the Pro V1 even if it cost $60/dozen.

You quoted "best high spin ball for the price" and then you later said "cheapest high spin golf ball for the price." You realize that those aren't the same, right?

If you want to hate on the Pro V1, be my guest. Heck, I'll play a B330 or a Penta any day of the week. It's fine by me. But if you want to irrationally hate on the Pro V1 by being obnoxious and saying "PROVE IT!!" and whatnot, then don't expect to skate on by without someone pointing out the obvious: that golf balls are a personal choice and for some, they have "proven" that the Pro V1 is the best ball for them .

Why is a seam necessarily a flaw? TaylorMade could have made the ball seamless if they wanted to.

You seem to be confusing yourself. The question asks what the BEST ball is. To some, the answer would be the Pro V1 even if it cost $60/dozen.

You quoted "best high spin ball for the price" and then you later said "cheapest high spin golf ball for the price." You realize that those aren't the same, right?

If you want to hate on the Pro V1, be my guest. Heck, I'll play a B330 or a Penta any day of the week. It's fine by me. But if you want to irrationally hate on the Pro V1 by being obnoxious and saying "PROVE IT!!" and whatnot, then don't expect to skate on by without someone pointing out the obvious: that golf balls are a personal choice and for some, they have "proven" that the Pro V1 is the best ball for them.

Depends on your definition of a "flaw" … I personally dont think it affects the physical performance of the ball, however I view it as a "flaw" because almost every other top shelf ball is seemless from what I can tell. I really would be interested to see if a ball with a seam is more or less aerodynamic than a ball without.

& so we are clear, I dont hate the ProV1 at all, and I don't think I said that either. "I" just dont think its worth the money it costs or that its deserving of all the hype it receives. In fact ive got probably 3 or 4 ProV1x balls in my bag right now. And I wil play them. But my personal take on it is if I spend my own hard earned money, it wont be on the ProV1! I like the Srixon or the Penta much more.

See what you're doing is you're mincing words and taking what I say out of context. I AM NOT TRYING TO CLAIM THAT ONE BALL IS SUPERIOR TO ANOTHER. You can if you'd like, but I answered the question that was the original topic, I stated my facts to support that and then some opinions of mine to agree with those. BUT I have said, & continued to say, that all the premium balls are the same… because they are! The Penta is the only ball ive seen below $40.

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!