IGNORED

How often do you "go for it"

cruzthepug
Note: This thread is 4569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rarely, if ever.

If I'm 250 yards out, it's just much easier for me to hit a 7-iron 150 yards and then leaving myself a gap wedge from 100.

Also, the par-5s are so much easier in the long run when I use this strategy, given my skill level. They can become the easiest holes on the course. On the Par-3s and Par-4s I usually have 130 to 200 yard approaches, so getting an opportunity at a 100 yard approach is pretty huge for me.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually "go for it" if I have little danger of losing the ball, or if I feel that the risk is about the same with another club.

If water is involved, then... it depends on how my round is going. If I'm scoring well, then I usually play a bit more conservatively, if not, I take risks.

As an example: there is a 280yd par 4 with trees down the entire left side, and a pond on the right (from about 140 yds on in) that slowly narrows the fairway as you get closer to the green. (And a bunker on the left side of the fairway at 200 yds.)  Lots of people try to drive the green there, and I used to too, but recently, I've been playing 6i -- pitching wedge and eliminating penalty strokes and little 'dinks' to get out from trees.  Almost everyone else I see plays driver there - and, yes, they do give me a rough time about hitting an iron off the tee.  Whatever.

On another hole (par-5), I kind of *have* to "go for it" simply because I'm *not* that skilled.  The fairway has a creek (with trees along the banks) down *both* sides of the fairway (the creeks merge about 350 yards from the tee), and the fairway doesn't begin until about 180-190yds from the tee.  I am just as likely to slice/hook a 5-wood/3-wood as I am a driver, and if I hit a long iron, I'm just about as likely to hit fat or slice it too, and then I wouldn't even reach the fairway.  So the risk seems about the same regardless of the club, and I might as well take the shot that, if it goes well, will leave me in the best position.

Sometimes when I am faced with a decision like that I try and think what is a "bad outcome of a good shot?" If you could hit a good shot and still be in trouble its not worth it, particularly that early in the round. Remember don't think great shot, just a good one. If you choices are either hit a great shot or be OB or behind a tree then you definitely not risk it.

Take the easy GIR when you can.

I played better in 2009 where I play conservatives golf . My short game were really good and putting was so so. This year I gain like 15yards from the big wiod and begin to go for it . More OBs and Hazards..and sand ..sigh ! Playing conservative is kinda boring sometimes , and taking risk might give you excitement but not a pleasure thing if the score does not go along with your goal .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I think the simple answer to high handicappers is "too often." I've found myself in enough predicaments to know that I almost always decide to go for it. The issue becomes...my handicap is so unmanageable that I may as well try for that rare amazing shot...right?

It depends on exactly: 1) what the requirements are for success 2) what the dangers are for failure 3) what I can do to mitigate failure Examples: - I rarely hit too far right. I battle pulls and hooks right now, so if there's disaster to the right I can almost forget about it entirely. - I almost never go for forced carries. If it's longer than 160 yards to clear danger, I will not go for it unless there is a lot of room to miss long, in which case I will likely club down [i]if[/i] I go for it. - I usually aim for tucked pins when I have a 9i or less. I just aim a bit long and focus on hitting down on the ball. Even if I go a bit long, sufficient bite should keep the ball from rolling out too far. - I never aim for tucked pins with a 6i or more. Just aim away from danger and get the ball onto the green.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I tend to go for everything unless there is a high risk of losing the ball, e.g. an impossible carry over water. I play the game for fun, not for a living, and I'd rather have the memories of a ridiculous shot through that 6" gap in the trees than of the chip out onto the fairway.

The game may be about the number posted at the end of the round but would you rather arrive there like Driving Miss Daisy or with a screech of the tyres and a YeeHah!!?

Note: This thread is 4569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!