IGNORED

Weight Forward and Secondary Axis Tilt

iacas
Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This reminds me very much of the "right sided swing" taught by Gary Edwin. Reverse K at setup with the majority of the weight on the front side through entire swing. From what I can see, there is very little that can go wrong, but would sacrifice some distance. A local club pro teaches this swing, but the response has been that it's great for shorter irons, but longer clubs are difficult with this swing.

I'm late on this but it wa really helpful, exactly what I've been thinking about in my swing as far as not just plowing into the ground with no access tilt. I think my problem was not turning as much as lifting the club.

This reminds me very much of the "right sided swing" taught by Gary Edwin. Reverse K at setup with the majority of the weight on the front side through entire swing. From what I can see, there is very little that can go wrong, but would sacrifice some distance. A local club pro teaches this swing, but the response has been that it's great for shorter irons, but longer clubs are difficult with this swing.

Yes Gary Edwin likes to see his players set-up with more axis tilt at address but that isn't what the thread is describing. All good players have the weight forward at impact with axis tilt. The hips/weight is more forward than it was at address, head is still centered, creating the axis tilt.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yes Gary Edwin likes to see his players set-up with more axis tilt at address but that isn't what the thread is describing. All good players have the weight forward at impact with axis tilt. The hips/weight is more forward than it was at address, head is still centered, creating the axis tilt.

The bold, yes. That's not what this thread is about.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 months later...
Let me know what you think of this video: Related threads: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips]http://thesandtrap.com/t/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips[/URL]

Very helpful. Thanks!

What's in the bag...
Driver: :macgregor: Jack Nicklaus persimmon driver
Irons: :mizuno: MP33 forged blades, 3-PW
Putter: :seemore: FGP
Ball: :pinnacle: Pinnacle Gold....or whatever I happen to find while digging around in the bushes :-)

oving Your Head..., MOVES THE SWING CENTER OR THE LOWEST POINT OF THE CLUB TRAVEL, BEFORE THE BALL "FAT SHOT", AFTER THE BALL... AAAH THAT'S THE ONE, LITTLE EARTH  THEN  BIG  EARTH... "WATCH YOUR SWING CENTER, I.E. PICTURE BOWLING WITH THE BALL IN YOUR HAND, BUT STANDING SO YOUR LEFT SIDE HIP IS FACING THE PINS (like addressing the golf ball), NOW ROLL THE BOWLING BALL... THAT MOVE, NO HEAD MOVEMENT LATERALLY, GREAT DRILL

JOHNALN

oving Your Head..., MOVES THE SWING CENTER OR THE LOWEST POINT OF THE CLUB TRAVEL, BEFORE THE BALL "FAT SHOT", AFTER THE BALL... AAAH THAT'S THE ONE, LITTLE EARTH  THEN  BIG  EARTH... "WATCH YOUR SWING CENTER, I.E. PICTURE BOWLING WITH THE BALL IN YOUR HAND, BUT STANDING SO YOUR LEFT SIDE HIP IS FACING THE PINS (like addressing the golf ball), NOW ROLL THE BOWLING BALL... THAT MOVE, NO HEAD MOVEMENT LATERALLY, GREAT DRILL

JOHNALN

I have to admit.. I am confused..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

JOHNALN

Umm, please lay off the all CAPS! A tad hard to read.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...
I have to admit.. I am confused..

I believe what he is saying is that if you move your head back it moves the low point of your swing back and therefore you will hit it fat if not set up with the ball further back. Or obviously vice versa if you get the head forward. I guess he could be partially right except I think it's the body that controls the low point along with the head and Erik clearly drew a line in the video that showed the leaning back of the body and the head is from the hips going forward of the ball which therefore put the body and head lined up in the middle of the address position's stance. Or something like that. I think I am going to try to get to the range and work on this today and see what it does. I know feel isn't real but if I feel, and pretty sure I am, getting my left hip to far outside of my leg foot prior to contact this could help that right? Because if the body is pulling back then the hip can only go so far. My AOA is pretty steep even with my driver so maybe this will help? Heck I might even get some video and try to post a my swing thread today lol.

James

I believe what he is saying is that if you move your head back it moves the low point of your swing back and therefore you will hit it fat if not set up with the ball further back. Or obviously vice versa if you get the head forward.

I guess he could be partially right except I think it's the body that controls the low point along with the head and Erik clearly drew a line in the video that showed the leaning back of the body and the head is from the hips going forward of the ball which therefore put the body and head lined up in the middle of the address position's stance. Or something like that.

I think I am going to try to get to the range and work on this today and see what it does. I know feel isn't real but if I feel, and pretty sure I am, getting my left hip to far outside of my leg foot prior to contact this could help that right? Because if the body is pulling back then the hip can only go so far. My AOA is pretty steep even with my driver so maybe this will help? Heck I might even get some video and try to post a my swing thread today lol.

Well yea,

The subtle nuance in this case is that it's a point in the spine, which is the center of the swing circle.

So, technically speaking, I suppose the "center of swing circle" should be about in the middle portion of your shoulder line (7th cervical vertebra?)

Incidentally this is pretty much what iacas is also denoting in that still picture of the swing video,

In iacas's drawing of the swing circle, this seems to be corroborated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is essentially what the geometrical drawing indicates to an observer, in iacas's swing video. The line drawing starts from the vertebra and ends up at the edge of the circle. (outer edge being denoted by the clubhead itself)

I believe the circle is centered around the lead shoulder.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I believe the circle is centered around the lead shoulder.

Yes, lead shoulder joint is more of the "center of the swing" (low point), sternum is the center of rotation.

At 4:04 in the video

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!