IGNORED

Stevie Williams - Racist?

turtleback
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I fully understand that it's possible that the sense of humor is different in Australia. But Stevie's been in the U.S. long enough to know that the Aussie/New Zealand sense of humor isn't the same. He should have known better.

Roasts involve a target who knows he's getting roasted and who signs up for it. Roasters usually get the chance to offer some comebacks, too.

"Black" is descriptive if you don't know who you're talking about. Everyone knows Tiger isn't 100% Caucasian. It was needlessly descriptive. The same point could have been made by saying "shove it up his ass."

I think it's a stretch to label Stevie a racist, but I don't think it's something you can pretend had no significance, either.

Nice to know I almost pegged Scott's reaction. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

agreed. the remark itself was definitely racist. he knew how it would be received, and more importantly, he knew how tiger would take it. such a pity that he can't shut up--can't argue with his caddying numbers...

Originally Posted by mcfc_nick

he can say what he wants about tiger, i mean after all he carried tiger through most of his wins, tiger was nothing without him, he taught tiger everything he knows, tiger wouldnt have even been a professional golfer without him, i mean its not as if he's been the luckiest caddie of all time being on the bag of the best player of all time.......oh yeah wait, tiger was only good because of him, i forgot!

What A Dick!

Williams is a great caddie there is no doubt about that. But to say Williams made Tiger is just stupid. No need for me to say what Tiger has done in his career but to say Tiger would of done nothing without Williams is  just ridiculous..I just think people need to get over what he did to his wife and look at him as a golfer and forget what he did off of the golf course.

Yeah Tiger sooo screwed Stevie over. Only made him insanely rich for carry a g-damn bag.

Stevie's a dick, a tool, & a boorish camera-snatching prick. Don't really care whether this latest remark pegs him as racist or not. He made his rep a long time ago. And he really needs to get over of himself. He ain't that important. He carries an effin' golf bag.

If I were Scott I would turn him loose immediately. Lots of good caddies out there that keep their yaps shut & are grateful for what they got.

Originally Posted by iacas

I fully understand that it's possible that the sense of humor is different in Australia. But Stevie's been in the U.S. long enough to know that the Aussie/New Zealand sense of humor isn't the same. He should have known better.

Exactly. And not only that, the context doesn't really matter. What matters is that people who hear or read about it do it "out of context" and make judgements based on and in the context of their own experiences and views. Williams would know that, and also know that people "sworn to secrecy" in some kind of men's club environment are going to tell stories.

He can't blame someone else "breaking the code" for his own boorishness.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by franky21

Quote:

he can say what he wants about tiger, i mean after all he carried tiger through most of his wins, tiger was nothing without him, he taught tiger everything he knows, tiger wouldnt have even been a professional golfer without him, i mean its not as if he's been the luckiest caddie of all time being on the bag of the best player of all time.......oh yeah wait, tiger was only good because of him, i forgot!

What A Dick!

Williams is a great caddie there is no doubt about that. But to say Williams made Tiger is just stupid. No need for me to say what Tiger has done in his career but to say Tiger would of done nothing without Williams is  just ridiculous..I just think people need to get over what he did to his wife and look at him as a golfer and forget what he did off of the golf course.

I'd translate this, but last time I tried to interpret a mcfc_nick post for someone I got accused of having a snobbish and arrogant attitude, so you're on your own, nick.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You call someone black you're racist. A black man calls a caucasian 'white' and its ok. Society is way too PC these days. Sure williams is an idiot, but calling someone black doesn't mean you're a racist. After all Tiger Woods is dark skinned.

+1, end of story.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Originally Posted by franky21

Quote:

What A Dick!

Read his post in a sarcastic tone to get the joke.

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

You call someone black you're racist. A black man calls a caucasian 'white' and its ok. Society is way too PC these days. Sure williams is an idiot, but calling someone black doesn't mean you're a racist. After all Tiger Woods is dark skinned.

+1, end of story.

Not end of story. You can call most people black. Many prefer it to African-American. You can't call people a "black *******" in the same way you might call someone a "stupid *******." It's the use of the adjective that is damning. Try it sometime the next time you're mad at a black guy who is a with a bunch of his friends out in a public and see what happens.

And of course, if you yourself are black and this is your opinion then I stand corrected. Obviously it varies between person to person. But many people were offended by the way he used the adjective "black," which was attached to the word "*******," and usually when you attach an adjective to that word with the intention of insulting someone, it's not used with a positive connotation. Unless you're talking to a friend whom you're just messing around with, such as "you smart *******, I love you for saving me from looking like an idiot in front of colleagues at that meeting."

Constantine

Also, for the record, I don't think Steve Williams is a racist, but he's clearly a jackass who needs to shut his trap sometimes. I also realize none of that stuff was ever meant for public consumption, but it got out, and now he has to deal with it. And I understand why many people, regardless of what their race is, found the comment both hurtful and in poor taste.

Constantine

just my 2 pennies.

If Stevie had said  "shove it up right up that "n**ger's as*hole" I am pretty sure 100% of the ppl in this thread would be calling for his firing, as well as Adam Scott would have dropped him, etc.. I guarantee it would have happened.

Calling him black is NOT the same as that..but it is bad and it is pointing out a particular feature on Tiger that has been noted since he first started making news of his golf game, even as a kid. Being "black" or a "black golfer" is not something Tiger has been fond of, and he has noted in interviews, etc... as well as having to deal with being a "black" golfer in the eyes of fans who watch him play, some that ARE racist and make him aware of it. The amount of racist hate mail he receives is probably astounding...beyond anything any other golfer has to endure.

I watched the Ryder Cup a few years back when it was down in Kentucky. I unfortunately heard several drunk guys in the crowd calling Lee Westwood a "fa*g*t" very loud, and as he walked by. What if Lee Westwood was gay, hypothetically. What if Steve had made a comment like  "shove it up that fa**ots as*hole" or even less harsh... "shove i up that gay's as*hole" or "shove it up that homo's as*hole".

That would be just as bad or worse.

I agree with the above posters...my highlighting that particular word in his comment, there was a point being made..even if it was a subconscious point and one that slipped or he got too loose lipped. If he was talking about Notah Begay (hypothetically) and referred to him as "brown" or someone black was up there speaking and referred to them as "white" the damage would have been just as bad. Joking or not.

Saying his actions outside of his job (caddying) shouldn't affect his employment is stupid.  If he had made a comment 20 years ago that is a different story...that is an action in the past and doesn't affect what he does not directly.

Anyone can be fired for any reason...and any employer if he feels his employee's actions/words are affecting the companies earnings, productivity, team morale, or whatever you name it...guess what you can be fired.

Like it or not...in regards to Caddy's and their typical "responsibilities" as employees...this is strike #2 on Steve Williams.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Not end of story. You can call most people black. Many prefer it to African-American. You can't call people a "black *******" in the same way you might call someone a "stupid *******." It's the use of the adjective that is damning. Try it sometime the next time you're mad at a black guy who is a with a bunch of his friends out in a public and see what happens.

And of course, if you yourself are black and this is your opinion then I stand corrected. Obviously it varies between person to person. But many people were offended by the way he used the adjective "black," which was attached to the word "*******," and usually when you attach an adjective to that word with the intention of insulting someone, it's not used with a positive connotation. Unless you're talking to a friend whom you're just messing around with, such as "you smart *******, I love you for saving me from looking like an idiot in front of colleagues at that meeting."

I agree. First off, calling anyone an "as*hole" is bad enough...but adding on that adjective is stupid.

That morgan freeman video above was great and so true. We won't move forward as a world if we simply hvae to keep referring to others as colors. A good friend of mine is Indian and he openly jokes with me all the time like "oh cmon man...if your friend cant find me, just point in my direction and say its the Indian dude". I would never, in a million years, actively do that unless it's someone I knew and I was given a green light to say that. He can refer to me as "the white guy" because we have a friendship and its mutually understood they are jokes.

Originally Posted by iacas

When referring to Steve Williams or his new moniker, "Stevie", can we not associate the bonehead with being or having anything much to do with Australia. The "Full of Boneheads" sign went up years ago here, we don't need him.

Nobody was actually there to hear the context of how it was said, nevertheless as someone else pointed out its strike 2. Maybe if the players offerred anything other than formula sports speak this fool wouldn't have a forum.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Not end of story. You can call most people black. Many prefer it to African-American.

I just want to clarify this statement here I made. Everyone is different. My Dominican friends don't like the word black really at all. They prefer Dominican. But they obviously don't represent all Dominicans. I don't want to generalize at all on this topic. I'm sorry.

Constantine

I live in a bi-cultural family and I am white. I know this sounds cliche', but I have plenty of black friends that are close, VERY CLOSE. As close as you can get without being blood related. Anybody with any sense at all will look past that and not bring it up as a "racist" issue. It's the jackass liberal, PC police, knot heads who need to find some other more productive way to consume their lives. Why do we even give this jackass the time of day. Note: I hope no jackasses were offended by my last statement for I truly have nothing against jackasses per say.

• Upvote 1

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

My point has, really, nothing to do with whether SW's comment were racist or whatever. That's (obviously) debatable and beside the point.

It has to do with drawing negative attention to himself. Now, picture the next tour stop when Adam Scott & SW walk up to a tee & the murmurs start...maybe a couple catcalls. Someone with a few beers in them may try to goad him. Point being, SW has now made himself the story, not the play of his man. Here's Scott trying to execute a shot while parts of the gallery are focused on SW.

Strike 2? If I were Adam Scott, I would say one strike and you're out. You're not the man, I am. You carry my bag, I hit the shots, and you have compromised that dynamic with your actions.

No longer is it 'Lets go follow Adam Scott' - it's 'Let's see if we can make Stevie blow his top'. You can't have that.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Pity that Stevie Williams has once again overshadowed a stunning display of golf in a WGC.

Only for those who for some reason care about the incident. Why should anyone give it any thought?

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!