IGNORED

My Swing (vanpooten)

vanpooten
Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Those two swings when I hit the ball felt good, almost effortless. Just stepped up and hit them in the center, they were both good shots. That range has 80% balls so I have trouble determining if the ball flight is comparable to what a real ball would be. In the beginning I was hitting some really good shots, just focusing on the leg. Felt like I was compressing the ball okay, my miss is a pull hook at the moment, possibly stemming from my club crossing parallel at the top?

Can't thank you enough Mike for your advice and what you do on the site, I know looking at hundreds of stranger's swings looking for free advice can get old, but know I appreciate the work you do. If ya'll were more business men than good sameritan (spelling?) I'm sure you could easily charge for work like this, because let me tell you it's worth it. Hopefully my activity on the site can be sufficient payment .

Anyway you make great points on the video, and rolling the foot makes a lot of sense. A goal I suppose would to have that impressive thread 'Stretch' has going, complete with my own improvement! Will check back soon.

Originally Posted by vanpooten

Can't thank you enough Mike for your advice and what you do on the site, I know looking at hundreds of stranger's swings looking for free advice can get old, but know I appreciate the work you do. If ya'll were more business men than good sameritan (spelling?) I'm sure you could easily charge for work like this, because let me tell you it's worth it.

Oh, we do http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/  Take a look, might be a good option for you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by vanpooten

True I forgot about that!

Do you by chance have any drills for ingraining the feeling of rolling the back foot, I'm having trouble practicing it correctly.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

I may have had a breakthrough working on my swing. Yesterday I really focused on straightening my right leg on the back swing, which in turn seemed to help my heel stay down and roll through the shot. I believe that straightening is advocated with the center pivot/S&T; hybrid golf evolution swing, it really made me feel like I was tilting left on the back swing. I need to upload a video of me doing it, but I wanted to make sure this was a proper train of thought before I continue working on it.

Very nice, yes def something ALL great players do but only advocated by a certain group of instructors

Mike McLoughlin

Getting there.

Tuck the butt under faster and limit how many degrees you turn in the follow through by not letting your rear foot rotate past 45* to the ground.

As a measurement, at the end of the follow through, your right shoulder should be over your right hip and knee.

Definitely time to start cleaning up the left tilt in the backswing. needs to happen earlier. Aid this by moving the ball 2 balls forward in your stance.

P4_uppercog.jpg

P9_foot_inclination.jpg

The "short" follow through has a function ;)

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

Thanks James, maybe you could clarify on moving the ball forward in my stance. Would this be a training aid, maybe forcing me to get my weight forward or face hitting it fat everytime? Or is it a permanent thing. I don't know if it's camera position or not, but I keep the ball in the middle of my stance for mid irons, are you suggesting playing it almost off the left heel, as it appears on the right?

Also I think straightening that right leg will help me tilt more left on the backswing, as you say I need to do in the first photo. I can see my rear leg has more flex than the player's on the right.

Thanks James, maybe you could clarify on moving the ball forward in my stance. Would this be a training aid, maybe forcing me to get my weight forward or face hitting it fat everytime? Or is it a permanent thing. I don't know if it's camera position or not, but I keep the ball in the middle of my stance for mid irons, are you suggesting playing it almost off the left heel, as it appears on the right?

Going to speak for James, I think he'll be fine with that, yes ball more forward will be a permanent thing.  About a ball inside your left heel.

Also I think straightening that right leg will help me tilt more left on the backswing, as you say I need to do in the first photo. I can see my rear leg has more flex than the player's on the right.

Yes that will definitely help but still need to be conscious of how the shoulders are working, think teeter totter

Mike McLoughlin

shallows decent, straighter start line, tighter cone. assists with the tilt left feeling, and helps reduce the feeling of having to "scoop" because you feel too "ontop" of it...

Wedges don't need to be any further back than sternum, ever. preferably they can be 2/3 balls inside left shoulder.

depending on the pattern you're looking for, driver at left shoulder or -1 / +2. there are more pieces to the puzzle past that, as the geometry changes.

James Hirshfield

Tour Professional Golf Coach

@hirshfield <-- Follow me on Twitter!

james@thegolfevolution.com

UK 07939-902455

USA (814) 464-3446

• 4 weeks later...

Accidentally erased what I had typed and it was a good bit, and I don't feel much like retyping it. Oh well. Here is the latest generation of my swing with the driver. You may recognize me mimicking a video posted on here about the S&T; back swing. It has helped with my back swing a good deal, but I've only been working on it since Wednesday so it's not ingrained yet.

I notice I'm still having trouble rolling my back foot instead of lifting it. I plan on uploading videos of my irons tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

driver side view

driver front view

• Administrator

Two quick comments...

0f6793c6_AnalyzrImageExport1.jpeg 17b61b79_AnalyzrImageExport2.jpeg 25a56340_AnalyzrImageExport3.jpeg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Check and check. Thanks for the response. Do you know what video I'm talking about? I believe you posted it awhile ago. I went into more detail before accidentally deleting my first post but it helped me gain a sense of purpose on the back swing where previously I had lost all feeling.

So for the side view, less exaggerated practice swings, and keep the head more stable so I'm not tempted to back up on the down swing.

I'm confused on what you mean by my arms not getting down very quickly. What is the optimal secondary axis tilt at that position?

Thanks

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!