IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nice swing.

One thing I might note is that your hips aren't clearing before impact.

I am just starting to eliminate this problem after 3 months of hard work, my coach has been and still is on me to change this problem.

BTW, I see you are loading that solid tungsten carbide shaft at 30,000 FPS.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice swing. One thing I might note is that your hips aren't clearing before impact. I am just starting to eliminate this problem after 3 months of hard work, my coach has been and still is on me to change this problem. BTW, I see you are loading that solid tungsten carbide shaft at 30,000 FPS. :-)

I think that it is ok for now with the hips. I played some pretty decent golf this year with square hips. Right now I think the square hips may be helping him with key 4. He had got to get that down first.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

I need to review my last couple of evolvr lessons, I can see that my turning rates are kinda back where they were (too fast) even though the shaft has improved and I'm drawing the ball I'm probably doing it the hard way with my trail leg loading so fast again. Gonna hit the range today and focus on turning at a better rate and see if I still hit draws. If I could magically fix something right now ABRACADABRA it would be key#5, swinging to the right has done wonders for my path but sometimes my clubface stays with the path and it's going way right.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by cipher

I think that it is ok for now with the hips. I played some pretty decent golf this year with square hips. Right now I think the square hips may be helping him with key 4. He had got to get that down first.

Idle thought...I wonder if the square hips are contributing to the blocked shots? I just worry that faster hip rotation will lead to tipping out and cutting across. Anyway, it's all just spitballing while I wait for evolvr to fix me up.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Idle thought...I wonder if the square hips are contributing to the blocked shots? I just worry that faster hip rotation will lead to tipping out and cutting across. Anyway, it's all just spitballing while I wait for evolvr to fix me up.

Could be. I find when the hips are square my miss is a face pull left going left. Can probably be just as easy to leave the face open and block it. I usually find I do this if I extend too much too early.

Nate

Shot my second 89 (par 64) of the season. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

The range buckets were the only way I could get my trail knee going down the line more. Made a dog's lunch of my path though and had me coming in steep again. Also, my hips are still square! I'm hoping that if I just keep doing this it will come together and my inside path will come back and I'll eventually figure out how to get my hips more open at impact.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm having a hard time reconciling some of what I've been working on in my lessons. My main issue was coming in too steep and going OTT, key#4 stuff. What helped me to fix this (work in progress!) is to feel my hips and shoulders stay closed longer in the downswing however, my next issue I need to attack is my hips are too square to the ball at impact and I'm hitting a lot of pushes and not getting enough extension through the ball. I end up too crowded at impact and elbows separate and all that other yucky stuff!

My homework for this is to get my trail knee working more down the target line and less out towards the ball but I haven't been able to get a good feel for this yet. I'm wondering if getting my trail shoulder pointing down towards the ball more at impact will help with this but haven't had a chance to try the theory yet and don't want to stray too far from what my instructor is asking me to do.

So I guess the question is: How do I continue to slow my hip rotation rate, swing out to the right AND "clear" my hips through impact??

I have faith that I'll get there but if anyone has any clues to help me wrap my head around this piece it would be very welcome.

EDIT* maybe I should have put this in my swing thread? If so the mods can feel free to move it

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Shot my second 89 (par 64) of the season.

Excellent.  Keep plugging away.  Improvement and lower scores will come.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

More working with range buckets. I see a (very) slight improvement here, the presence of the range buckets really wreak havoc on a lot of other stuff but I'm going to ignore that stuff for now and just try to train that trail knee. Still nowhere near enough rotation and extension but the knee is kind of doing what I want it to do.

Unfortunately once the buckets are gone the knee dives back out to the ball.

I did make a little discovery unrelated to what evolvr is teaching me, not sure if it's just a bandaid but if I let my left wrist bow a bit in the take away and focus on keeping that bowed feel through impact I get a much better start line. It seems to keep my face more closed to the path and closer to square to the target line, cuts down on the pushes dramatically but I have to be careful not to over do it or I get some hooks creeping into play.

Is this bowed wrist feel a good idea or is it just a compensation that reduces the effects of a flaw, namely my face lining up to my outward path and creating straight pushes?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Is this bowed wrist feel a good idea or is it just a compensation that reduces the effects of a flaw, namely my face lining up to my outward path and creating straight pushes?

I do not see any issues with it right now.  I would not say that it is a bandaid for you.  Beyond all the instruction we still have to find the feel on our own that gets us into the positions.

Nate

Followed up my 89 with a 91 today. Shot a 44 on the front nine and was hitting my stride, thought I was gonna shoot a new personal best but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Bowed left wrist feel through impact is still working well. Getting a bit more distance and cutting down on my pushed shots. Kinda feel like my swing on the range and my on course swings are two totally different animals with completely different ball flights but I suppose they will eventually become one and the same. My range swing when I'm concentrating on mechanics has a lot of left to right curvature whereas my on course swing ( where I'm just trying to keep it in play) tends to be a much straighter flight. Miss is the same though, big ole' push.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Hit a fricken' laser on the par 4, almost hit the flag stick. Only birdie of the day.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Nice shot and nice putt!

Nate

Nice shot and nice putt!

Yeah, too bad about those five ****ing 3 putts! Could have set a new personal best. :poo: Goal is to consistently break 90 on my executive course (cheap and accessible) and then I'll move to the big boy course. I do play "regulation" courses occasionally but this one is so close it makes it easy to get out and play. Glaring weakness is long irons so that's what need to work on. Can't hit a driver worth shit.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

BIRDIE!! :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

BIRDIE!! :-)

I am over the moon! That birdie sparked a run of my best golf ever. Shot a 39!!! on the front nine of my par 64 course. Almost stopped after nine but I really wanted to see if I could ride the streak through 18. Back nine started pretty rough with back to back triples but I played the final four holes at 1 under, limped off with a 45 which is still awesome for me. This course is pretty short with just two par 5s so I kind of get away from my weaknesses which are the longer clubs but tonight I was killing my 3 and 4 hybrids. On at least three occasions I was hitting my second shot from under 200yrds on par 4s that measure in excess of 420 yards. I doubt the yardage markers are all that accurate but I think I may have hit my 4h close to 225 yards on one hole tonight. Things are looking up. My last three rounds on this course have been 89-91-84 which is way beyond anything I've shot before! Thank you Evolvr!! I know I'm not doing anything very well yet but I'm starting to have some solid structure to my swing and its translating to the course. I'm a believer!

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

awesome, that is significant improvement from last scores you posted. Good on ya!

as you indicated, the course may be a little shorter, than a par 72 course, but these  "accomplishments" will give you a boost so that the longer courses wont be that much more difficult. For some reason or other, I seem to fare better on the more difficult courses. My last score of 91 was on a course with a slope  of 125

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Thanks Hacker James. Sunday Ièm going to a big boy course with my brother in-laws, 67.1 rating  116 slope. I think those numbers mean it's a relatively easy course? Anyway, a little nervous and hope my game holds together LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!