IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

• Administrator

I did an abs* workout today.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751

My abs hurt from laughing so hard reading that thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Speaking of ab workouts, I think I'm going to start to incorporate them into my workouts.

I found this site which says doing their exercises will give you 6 pack abs in 30 days.  Now, I don't necessarily believe that but I'm debating doing this instead of maybe just doing crunches. http://muscularstrength.com/befit.php

Anyway, today was Pull day:

Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows 25 pounds each arm x 3 sets x 12 reps
Upright rows 40 pounds x 3 sets x 12 reps
Dumbbell Curls 10 pounds x 3 sets x 12 reps

645 calories burned via the treadmill.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Speaking of ab workouts, I think I'm going to start to incorporate them into my workouts.

I found this site which says doing their exercises will give you 6 pack abs in 30 days.  Now, I don't necessarily believe that but I'm debating doing this instead of maybe just doing crunches. http://muscularstrength.com/befit.php

Anyway, today was Pull day:

Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows

25 pounds each arm x 3 sets x 12 reps

Upright rows

40 pounds x 3 sets x 12 reps

Dumbbell Curls

10 pounds x 3 sets x 12 reps

645 calories burned via the treadmill.

Typically a six pack comes from reducing body fat. We all have a six pack, it's just covered by fat. Doing exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, kettlebell swings is basically all the ab work you need. I see the 30 day workout has a lot of cardio/high intensity stuff, that'll help you lose fat/weight as long as you are eating less than you burn.

Couple articles on the myth of getting a six pack by spot reducing.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/you-cannot-crunch-your-way-to-abs-science-says-so

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/six_pack_abs_truths_and_myths.htm

Mike McLoughlin

Typically a six pack comes from reducing body fat. We all have a six pack, it's just covered by fat. Doing exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, kettlebell swings is basically all the ab work you need. I see the 30 day workout has a lot of cardio/high intensity stuff, that'll help you lose fat/weight as long as you are eating less than you burn.

Couple articles on the myth of getting a six pack by spot reducing.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/you-cannot-crunch-your-way-to-abs-science-says-so

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/six_pack_abs_truths_and_myths.htm

Wow, really informative.

Thanks, Mike!

Christian

Wow, really informative.

Thanks, Mike!

Just passing on info I had to learn. Makes sense though, you don't see people with "chubby" arms or chest that have a six pack. Abs that is ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Just passing on info I had to learn. Makes sense though, you don't see people with "chubby" arms or chest that have a six pack. Abs that is

Haha, true.

This site also has an article where they say that interval training cardio on a treadmill is also a good way to drop fat.  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_with_interval_cardio2.htm

Seeing as how I'm getting more comfortable on the treadmilll, it might be time to step up from beginner.

Christian

Beat me to it.

Only thing I'd add, is that some heavy ab isolation work can help them pop a lot better once you get down to about 12-13%.

Ryan M

Beat me to it. Only thing I'd add, is that some heavy ab isolation work can help them pop a lot better once you get down to about 12-13%.

As someone who has been fairly ignorant when it comes to the subject of working out, I'm amazed at how much the good information is overshadowed by misinformation. I probably shouldn't be amazed as a lot of the time people are working their own angle but I still am for some reason.

Christian

As someone who has been fairly ignorant when it comes to the subject of working out, I'm amazed at how much the good information is overshadowed by misinformation. I probably shouldn't be amazed as a lot of the time people are working their own angle but I still am for some reason.

Yeah, even the people who "know" what they're doing and talking about it, still don't know everything. But this crap falls into a sort of 80/20 or even 90/10 rule. Getting the nutrition and workouts right is 80-90% percent of the work...and if that's good, the other 10-20% doesn't matter as much.

Ryan M

Yeah, even the people who "know" what they're doing and talking about it, still don't know everything. But this crap falls into a sort of 80/20 or even 90/10 rule. Getting the nutrition and workouts right is 80-90% percent of the work...and if that's good, the other 10-20% doesn't matter as much.

So, is it safe to say that as far as nutrition goes when you're goal is to lose weight by losing fat that it's more important to concern yourself with calories intake in relation to how much you burn rather than if you're eating lots of fats, carbs, or protein?

I guess my question is, what's more important, your calorie intake or the amount of fats or carbs you eat.

Christian

So, is it safe to say that as far as nutrition goes when you're goal is to lose weight by losing fat that it's more important to concern yourself with calories intake in relation to how much you burn rather than if you're eating lots of fats, carbs, or protein?

I guess my question is, what's more important, your calorie intake or the amount of fats or carbs you eat.

Yes. Calories in is top priority. Protein intake is second priority, and carbs/fat is a distant third. I dropped 20 lbs of fat in <3 months by limiting my calories to a certain amount. I was close to my protein goal every day, and the other macros fell where they fell.

For instance, yesterday, I was right about where I wanted to be calorie wise, but 30g over on carbs, and 35g under in fat. It happens.

Ryan M

Yes. Calories in is top priority. Protein intake is second priority, and carbs/fat is a distant third. I dropped 20 lbs of fat in <3 months by limiting my calories to a certain amount. I was close to my protein goal every day, and the other macros fell where they fell.

For instance, yesterday, I was right about where I wanted to be calorie wise, but 30g over on carbs, and 35g under in fat. It happens.

I thought so.

At this point, I give myself a cheat day (Sunday) where I eat what I want and don't give it much thought; sort of a reward.

And then according to the BMR calculator on myfitnesspal.com, my BMR is roughly 2200 calories and I've been setting a calories goal of 1750 per day but on days I workout, I tend to go over my 1750 goal so it appears I have to do a better job of monitoring my calorie intake on those days because it looks like I'm not as disciplined on those days.

Christian

I thought so.

At this point, I give myself a cheat day (Sunday) where I eat what I want and don't give it much thought; sort of a reward.

And then according to the BMR calculator on myfitnesspal.com, my BMR is roughly 2200 calories and I've been setting a calories goal of 1750 per day but on days I workout, I tend to go over my 1750 goal so it appears I have to do a better job of monitoring my calorie intake on those days because it looks like I'm not as disciplined on those days.

Yup. Limit the cheat days, too. If you're not paying attention...you could easily eat 3,000+ calories in a day. All you're doing is ruining 2-3 days of hard work on your diet. Do a cheat meal instead, or monitor and limit your cheat day to your TDEE calories...that way you're not losing anything.

And if you find that you're hungry all the time...up the calories. If your BMR is 2200 calories, that means you could easily cut weight at 2,200 calories.

Ryan M

Yup. Limit the cheat days, too. If you're not paying attention...you could easily eat 3,000+ calories in a day. All you're doing is ruining 2-3 days of hard work on your diet. Do a cheat meal instead, or monitor and limit your cheat day to your TDEE calories...that way you're not losing anything.

And if you find that you're hungry all the time...up the calories. If your BMR is 2200 calories, that means you could easily cut weight at 2,200 calories.

Oh, yeah.  I went to my friend's place Saturday night (cheat day) to watch the games and between pigging out on food and drinking a fair amount, I consumed 3,640 calories, 232g of carbs, 84g of fat, and 154g of protein.  According to http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, my TDEE is 3023 if I put my exercise level at 3x/week so I guess it's not so bad.

It was no surprise when I got back on the scale yesterday that I had gained about two pounds, although, I will say that at times my weight seems to fluctuate a bit.  Is it water weight?

Christian

Oh, yeah.  I went to my friend's place Saturday night (cheat day) to watch the games and between pigging out on food and drinking a fair amount, I consumed 3,640 calories, 232g of carbs, 84g of fat, and 154g of protein.  According to http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, my TDEE is 3023 if I put my exercise level at 3x/week so I guess it's not so bad.

It was no surprise when I got back on the scale yesterday that I had gained about two pounds, although, I will say that at times my weight seems to fluctuate a bit.  Is it water weight?

Water weight. You'd have to eat an enormous amount of food to actually gain 2 lbs.

I weighed 158.8 lbs on Christmas eve. The next night, I weighed 165 lbs. lol. But it all went away after about 3 days.

Ryan M

Water weight. You'd have to eat an enormous amount of food to actually gain 2 lbs.

I weighed 158.8 lbs on Christmas eve. The next night, I weighed 165 lbs. lol. But it all went away after about 3 days.

It kind of sucks because if you look at it in the short term, there could be lots of fluctuation and the days I step on the scale like this morning where I lost 1/2 lb., it could be just water weight.

Christian