IGNORED

If you could have anyone's job in Golf, who's would it be?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll take Chairman of the Pebble Beach Company, and also put myself in charge of their foundation.    The work duties wouldn't be too bad - go to board meetings, meet with dignitaries, and give away money to needy causes.    Of course, I'd have to inspect the course and properties frequently to make sure they stay up to the highest standards.   The other perks would be awesome, including the ability to get onto probably any course at any time.

I am the Gm and Superintendent of a small 9 Hole course in Florida, I feel very fortunate to have this unique position as I get to run the Proshop every morning and in the afternoon get to do the most self satisfying part of the job, working on the Golf Course. Also being an industry professional Golf is comped pretty much anywhere as long as you call ahead.

CEO of Acushnet.

Many years ago, I was hired to be CEO of a small company with revenues stagnant at @ $750K per year.  My friends felt I was taking a huge risk by leaving the security of my then job to work a for a "bottom tier" organization.  However, I was young at the time and I wanted the challenge of growing what I felt was an underperforming company.  I knew there was potential, it was just a question of unlocking it.  So, I accepted the position.  Four years later, our revenues were @ $120M.  Those days were crazy due to the insane growth we were going through.  12 hour days, 6 or 7 days a week was pretty normal for me.  I absolutely loved that job.  I was gearing up for another growth spurt when I noticed that our financial reports were weaker than what they should've been.

I discovered that one of the partners was skimming money by creating a surcharge that was attached to every purchase order we cut.  The surcharge was paid to this company that was owned by this partner.  I presented the information to the other partner, but he wouldn't listen to what I had to say nor the evidence that I had.  So, I quit.  A couple years later, the company went bankrupt and the two partners spent the next decade suing each other.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Originally Posted by Tomboys

CEO of Acushnet.

Many years ago, I was hired to be CEO of a small company with revenues stagnant at @ $750K per year.  My friends felt I was taking a huge risk by leaving the security of my then job to work a for a "bottom tier" organization.  However, I was young at the time and I wanted the challenge of growing what I felt was an underperforming company.  I knew there was potential, it was just a question of unlocking it.  So, I accepted the position.  Four years later, our revenues were @ $120M.  Those days were crazy due to the insane growth we were going through.  12 hour days, 6 or 7 days a week was pretty normal for me.  I absolutely loved that job.  I was gearing up for another growth spurt when I noticed that our financial reports were weaker than what they should've been.

I discovered that one of the partners was skimming money by creating a surcharge that was attached to every purchase order we cut.  The surcharge was paid to this company that was owned by this partner.  I presented the information to the other partner, but he wouldn't listen to what I had to say nor the evidence that I had.  So, I quit.  A couple years later, the company went bankrupt and the two partners spent the next decade suing each other.

Wow, crazy story.    You might be in luck, I hear Wally is going to "retire" sometime next year.  Doesn't like dealing with the new owners

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd like to have Brandel Chamblee's job.  You could say all sorts of stupid crap, never have to be right, and get to still have a job.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

I'd like to have Brandel Chamblee's job.  You could say all sorts of stupid crap, never have to be right, and get to still have a job.

LOL

156368_1447600201033_1564042386_30916535_1531234_n.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Wow, crazy story.    You might be in luck, I hear Wally is going to "retire" sometime next year.  Doesn't like dealing with the new owners

LOL.  Thanks for the tip, but I think my chances can be summed up in one word, none.

Nonetheless, it's funny that you write that (about Wally) because that's why I chose Acushnet.  When their sale was announced to the "Koren Kontingency", it comes as no surprise he was going to have some difficulties dealing with the new owners.  I've been through different corporate ownership changes in my career and they happen all the time.  So, they are nothing new and there's plenty of information out there on how to handle these.  IME, Wally's immediate task, should he decide to stick it out, is to successfully transition Acushnet's current corporate culture to the new owner's corporate culture.  Most successful people tend to be egocentric, so there are no two ways about it; it's extremely difficult to implement this change especially given Acushnet's past and current success levels, but it has to be done because the new owner's are successful in their own rite.  So, it does absolutely no good to get into a pissing match against them.  At the end of the day, CEOs may have the keys to the kingdom, but the owners have the kingdom.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Probably a clubmaker/designer for me for either Titleist or Nike. Been liking the directions both these companies have been making, especially for the player's irons.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

No lie almost as nice as being a weatherman.  You never have to be right and most of the time you are just pulling shit out of thin air and people pay you to do this.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Donald Trump.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!