IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mvmac

Yeah just moving on to the next stage.  Your goal is to be scratch and there are a few things that need to be cleaned up for that to happen.  To hit more GIR on a regular basis.  You've put in a lot of great work on the backswing, now the priority is the downswing.

Yeah, that's the next priority piece. That's not an "overhaul." Only bad instructors "overhaul" their students because they don't know what to do with what they've got (and because it locks the student into 10 or 20 lessons).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Yeah, that's the next priority piece. That's not an "overhaul." Only bad instructors "overhaul" their students because they don't know what to do with what they've got (and because it locks the student into 10 or 20 lessons).

For me it 'feels' like an overhaul because the feels are much different than I'm used to.  Plus the sync and rates of the regaining flexion piece is much different than my current pattern.  Again, from the feel side.  So I felt it was an overhaul.  Perhaps that isn't the right word?

But even Dana agreed that it may take 2 years to really feel like I've conquered the swing changes he mapped out.  So again, perhaps not the correct word (overhaul), but I'm calling it the way I see it.  It's definitely not an easy mod from my current pattern.  Not something I can accomplish in a week or two of deliberate practice.

First let me say this... My learning style may differ from others... Basically, in order for me to really conquer the mods Dana (or any instructor for that matter) maps out... I like to understand the instructional theory clearly within my mind, then move onto making swings - trying to nail those instructional pieces.

If I don't clearly understand the pattern or instruction - then I find I start questioning myself too much and that creates stress and tension which prevents my body from clearly executing the shot.  So the biggest part for me... Is clearly understanding the positions/alignments going from A5 to A10 at this moment as mapped out by Dana (and Mvmac).

Understanding my current pattern flaws - this thread, Evolvr, hands on instruction with Grant (this past Spring) and Mvmac all contributed to me understanding where my issues currently reside... And then Dana validating the pattern issues in my present swing, and providing a clear roadmap for me to follow to eliminate such flaws was very beneficial.  But again, I need to understand the fine pieces of the pattern in my mind before I'll truly feel comfortable over the ball.

Ultimately, what Dana mapped out for me will get me into a better position to hit clean 3W/3H/4i/5i off the turf - by increasing my dynamic loft - which will launch the ball higher into the air.

I'll use this thread to post mods/changes that I'm working on so that people can comment.  Hopefully this thread will help others who run into the same issues within their swing pattern?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

For me it 'feels' like an overhaul because the feels are much different than I'm used to.  Plus the sync and rates of the regaining flexion piece is much different than my current pattern.  Again, from the feel side.  So I felt it was an overhaul.  Perhaps that isn't the right word?

It's not. An overhaul implies that you're throwing most everything out and starting over from scratch. Watch a home show on HGTV... those bathroom and kitchen remodels are "overhauls."

But even Dana agreed that it may take 2 years to really feel like I've conquered the swing changes he mapped out.  So again, perhaps not the correct word (overhaul), but I'm calling it the way I see it.  It's definitely not an easy mod from my current pattern.  Not something I can accomplish in a week or two of deliberate practice.

It's not a matter of calling it like you see it. :P You tell people that you're embarking on a "swing overhaul" and they get a very different picture of what you're doing than what you are actually doing in this case. That's all I'm pointing out, though by making two posts about it, I risk being seen as caring about it more than I do.

You're simply working on a small but difficult piece. There will be days you stick the clubhead in the ground two inches behind the ball for awhile. Days where you flip at it like crazy. Days where you play well and think you've got it, only to have it disappear a year later.

I've been working on changing something in my swing for three years now. At no point have I "overhauled" my swing. I've simply made small, incremental changes to specific pieces that continue to improve my motion.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

For me it 'feels' like an overhaul because the feels are much different than I'm used to.  Plus the sync and rates of the regaining flexion piece is much different than my current pattern.  Again, from the feel side.

That's the key right there.  It's by no means an overhaul, but because it feels so strange to us - because it's new and we don't yet understand how it's supposed to feel - it seems like an overhaul.  And then perhaps your scoring regresses a little at first, that probably doesn't help our perception.

Whenever I try to give tips to my dad (I'm obviously not qualified, but his swing is so horrendous nothing I tell him could hurt him worse, plus nobody else is helping him cuz he's not taking lessons) he will try it once and say "it doesn't feel right."  I like to quote silly movies, and everytime he says this, it reminds me of the '40-year old virgin.'

When he goes out to the bar with his buddies and says he's uncomfortable talking to women and "it just doesn't feel right."  Jay says to him "Of course it don't feel right, what feels right to you doesn't work!  You need to try some wrong, dog!"

Understanding my current pattern flaws - this thread, Evolvr, hands on instruction with Grant (this past Spring) and Mvmac all contributed to me understanding where my issues currently reside... And then Dana validating the pattern issues in my present swing, and providing a clear roadmap for me to follow to eliminate such flaws was very beneficial.  But again, I need to understand the fine pieces of the pattern in my mind before I'll truly feel comfortable over the ball.

I agree with what Erik said regarding what overhaul means.  He made some good points.  I thought Dana said 6 months but it's not important.  Most if not all changes can be done within a week or two, maybe set-up changes.  Changing pieces/motion isn't easy but you can still play good golf working on these pieces.  It's ok to feel uncomfortable, just means you're doing it right.  You know this, but don't want you to get caught up in the idea that it has to look perfect or else you've failed.  Like I've said before, no one's swing is perfect, not even Grant's ;-)

Hopefully this thread will help others who run into the same issues within their swing pattern?

Agree it will.  You can at least be happy that you have a "good players" problem.  Not going to get too many high handicap slicers working on regaining flexion.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 4 weeks later...

New video... Testing my GoPro Hero 3 Black high speed 240fps @ WVGA resolution.  Not too shabby... Camera is pretty solid.  Too bad my swing stinks like .

I've been toying with my address posture - mainly focusing on my hands - distance from my left thigh and head placement.  Really trying to set myself up for a steady head - and help reduce the early extension issue that is the primary flaw with my swing.  Unfortunately, working on my posture and address modifications has really been a huge challenge.  My swing has been very eradict as I work on this, and my scores are easily 6 to 10 shots worse than my average the last three to four rounds I've played...

I'm really frustrated with the game at the moment, as I don't feel like I'm seeing any changes in the video with regard to my right elbow placement, my clubface is still very closed at the top, and my early extension / breakdown from A5 into A7 is just ridiculous.  I'm on my right toes from A5.5++.

I really wish I could fix these things, but the more I work on it, and the more I see that I'm not correcting them after as much practice as I've made... I'm starting to wonder if I have a learning disability.  Seriously, how the hell can I not fix these items when I know exactly what I'm doing wrong!!! Sorry for the rant, but this game is frustrating.  Especially when my scores are going up - and not down.

That's a sweet camera you have there.

• Upvote 1

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

First let me say this... My learning style may differ from others... Basically, in order for me to really conquer the mods Dana (or any instructor for that matter) maps out... I like to understand the instructional theory clearly within my mind, then move onto making swings - trying to nail those instructional pieces.

If I don't clearly understand the pattern or instruction - then I find I start questioning myself too much and that creates stress and tension which prevents my body from clearly executing the shot.  So the biggest part for me... Is clearly understanding the positions/alignments going from A5 to A10 at this moment as mapped out by Dana (and Mvmac).

Ultimately, what Dana mapped out for me will get me into a better position to hit clean 3W/3H/4i/5i off the turf - by increasing my dynamic loft - which will launch the ball higher into the air.

I'll use this thread to post mods/changes that I'm working on so that people can comment.  Hopefully this thread will help others who run into the same issues within their swing pattern?

Beachcomber, just take it easy, lie down on this couch and tell us what seems to be the problem...........

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

That's a sweet camera you have there.

It's such a wide angle, you need to put it freakishly close. Also, experiment with portrait mode.

Shawn, look, here's some hard truth:

1. Mike has been working on roughly his same issues for a few years now.
  2. I have been working on roughly the same issues for a few years now.
  3. Dave Wedzik has been working on roughly the same issues for a few years now.

If you think you're going to solve something in a week or in a month or even in a year, you're nuts, and unrealistic expectations could drive you out of the game if you're not careful. You know how they say ignorance is bliss? Well, when you're playing golf, you need to be ignorant to what you think your swing really looks like and realize that you're better than 99% of the golfers out there (or whatever).

Beachcomber, your just going through a rough patch. The swing looks great to me..... but it's an expansive swing. It's a whole body swing, the sort of swing that gets ****ed up if one little bit of the swing is "out". It looks like the kind of swing that can suffer from tiredness in the body and the mind. Maybe you just need to take a break from it and not swing a club for 2 weeks. Go to the pub!

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Originally Posted by iacas

It's such a wide angle, you need to put it freakishly close. Also, experiment with portrait mode.

Shawn, look, here's some hard truth:

Mike has been working on roughly his same issues for a few years now.

I have been working on roughly the same issues for a few years now.

Dave Wedzik has been working on roughly the same issues for a few years now.

If you think you're going to solve something in a week or in a month or even in a year, you're nuts, and unrealistic expectations could drive you out of the game if you're not careful. You know how they say ignorance is bliss? Well, when you're playing golf, you need to be ignorant to what you think your swing really looks like and realize that you're better than 99% of the golfers out there (or whatever).

Yeah, sorry to moan and groan... I know it is going to take time.  I was talking to Mike, and I think I found one of the root causes of my biggest flaw.  And it is my left arm/hands going too far back, up and in - see Driver - which overflexes the connection of the right hand/arm - this is why my right elbow gets stuck on my side - and leads to the early extension breakdown at A5.5+++.

Check out frame 4 here... Look where my hands are in correlation to the model.  I think a feel for me needs to be trying to keep my hands as far away from my head - and back as possible.  And that should help expand my chest - and get the extension I need / depth in the back swing... And then let me get my right arm/elbow cleanly into the hitting zone from A6++.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by logman

Beachcomber, your just going through a rough patch. The swing looks great to me..... but it's an expansive swing. It's a whole body swing, the sort of swing that gets ****ed up if one little bit of the swing is "out".

I think as a 3.9 index that his definition of "bad" is quite different than that of a 12, and I appreciate and like that he's willing to put his swing up here for others to see.

Beach, yes, your right elbow gets too far around your rib cage and too near to your shirt seam. I have a fairly extensive list of videos on this, and may have posted about it in my My Swing thread. Additionally, we worked on this yesterday with a student (and instructor) from Ohio. He liked a feeling I shared with him of keeping his upper right arm pointing away from the target and not behind the golfer (away from the ball). Just make sure you keep your torso turning as you do this, and note that the right elbow folding is largely independent of where the upper arm is pointing. Release the pressure points 1 and 2 in your right arm throughout the backswing and only hold the upper pressure point (lightly at that) in the armpit.

Beach, yes, your right elbow gets too far around your rib cage and too near to your shirt seam. I have a fairly extensive list of videos on this, and may have posted about it in my My Swing thread. Additionally, we worked on this yesterday with a student (and instructor) from Ohio. He liked a feeling I shared with him of keeping his upper right arm pointing away from the target and not behind the golfer (away from the ball) . Just make sure you keep your torso turning as you do this, and note that the right elbow folding is largely independent of where the upper arm is pointing. Release the pressure points 1 and 2 in your right arm throughout the backswing and only hold the upper pressure point (lightly at that) in the armpit.

1.) thanks ill take a look at your My Swing thread and see what I can dig out of it. 2.) do you have a video which explains that feel you're describing? I think I follow you, but just wanted to make sure. If I think of my upper right arm, are you talking just the tricep? Should my right hand be more back and up, and less back up and in? Turning my torso will get my 'In'. My hands I believe are getting to far 'In' or behind me?