IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Ha!  You're kidding right?!  I'm a noob to this entire process!!!

I'm just in sales and can sell... So when I hear / learn a concept - and pick it up... I can teach it or repeat it to others fairly quickly.  Unfortunately, I don't know all the concepts!! :D  So why don't you fill me in on this 'peaking' concept.

The dropping my keys comment - I wasn't sure if he was referring to 5SK... And losing Key 1 and 2... Which causes Key 4 issues??  I'm not sure???

Again, need a decoder ring.

Kidding?  No.  Wrong?  Quite possibly.  As soon as I saw that he lumped those two together (Annika/Duval), the first commonality that came to mind was the unique way they "looked up" early. Check it out:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmmmmm..... I see how they (Annika and David) turn that right shoulder - and turn the head quicker than I do.  Maybe my right shoulder isn't turning quick enough??

I have no idea... I'm stumped.

Hmmmmmm..... I see how they (Annika and David) turn that right shoulder - and turn the head quicker than I do.  Maybe my right shoulder isn't turning quick enough??

I have no idea... I'm stumped.

Yeah, and seeing as how it's 2am over there in PA, I guess we'll have to wait till morning for his explanation.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yeah, and seeing as how it's 2am over there in PA, I guess we'll have to wait till morning for his explanation.

Damn time zone differential and midwestern light weights!!! :D

Here is another video - actually hitting a ball on the range tonight...
Unedited Practice Session - 1st two swings of the night.
Notes 8-14-12
a.) Conditions - slight wind from left to right.
b.) Target Line - Blue flag 200yds down range... No I can't hit my 6i 200yds - but I'm trying! :P
c.) Stock Shot - Push Draw setup (aimed slightly right of my target)
First shot - Pull (just left of my target blue flag down range) - mid traj... ~ 180yd carry.
Second shot - Straight - Mashed - high traj... ~ 185yd carry.
I wanted to see how the swing mechanics I've been working on are being incorporated into my game.  Goal was to hit solid golf shots on every ball tonight.  And not take 5 to 10 shots before I feel like I'm finding my groove/warmed up.
This session was proof to me that my swing mechanics are becoming grooved, and I have better feels for what I need to do to stay on plane and make consistent contact.  Being able to make solid contact on the first swing/ball is my ultimate goal.  Still work left to do.

• Administrator

Wait, I know something about a golf swing that you don't??  That can't be right!  One thing that was fairly unique to both Annika and David Duval was that they looked up much earlier than most people, possibly even prior to contact.  At full speed it almost appeared that they were looking towards the target at impact.  I imagine Erik is suggesting that you are keeping your eyes focused on the ground too long.

That's it right there.

Important though is that "looking up" is achieved by ROTATING THE NECK. Keep the neck inline with the rest of the spine and just "turn your head." Your eyes - since your inclination to the ground is maintained - will not be level. The left eye will be higher and on a 35° angle or so. But let the eyes rotate sooner. It will help your shoulder pivot not to stall out.

The dropping my keys comment - I wasn't sure if he was referring to 5SK... And losing Key 1 and 2... Which causes Key 4 issues??  I'm not sure???

Ha, sorry. I see why that's confusing given the name of 5SK. No, I meant like your car keys, you're looking at the ground like you dropped them in the grass and you're trying to find them.

Good morning. :)

P.S. It's a little better in the 8:15 video above.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok thanks for the swing tip. I'll give the kneck more of a free release once impact is made. Hoping that cleans up my finish. I still need to clean up my pivot and balance from A6++++

• Administrator

Ok thanks for the swing tip. I'll give the kneck more of a free release once impact is made. Hoping that cleans up my finish.

I still need to clean up my pivot and balance from A6++++

You might start to feel like your neck rotates starting AT A6. It doesn't have to be "once impact is made."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

You might start to feel like your neck rotates starting AT A6. It doesn't have to be "once impact is made."

Got it!  But promise me... No more jokes about dropping 'keys' from a 5SK instructor - especially in an instructional thread!! :P

I saw this interesting video that Erik posted in another thread...

After watching it - it is apparent that my arms are too slow - while my hips and shoulders outrace my arms?

I'm going to start swinging like 20% for the next day or so.  Until I nail this sequencing... It's getting frustrating.

Ok... I'm going back to the basics.  Tom Tomasello breaking down the simplicity of the pivot for me (this dude is genius with the way he communicates).

As Erik stated - and pointed out by Tom in the video linked here - I'm not letting that 18lb ball move!  Thanks for the tip Erik!!

Here is a swing from tonight's practice session.  This swing pattern created a nice high Push Draw with a 6i.

Swing thoughts were simple...

1.) I was trying to get the shaft vertical at A3 by setting left wrist hinge to form a 90* angle between my left arm and the club.

2.) I tried to look down range at impact - a little quicker than normal.

The setting of the left wrist at A3 was working pretty well as it gave me a very high penetrating ball flight.

• Administrator

Look, honestly, KISS and just work on that stuff for a few weeks. Seriously.

Then clean up your knee action.

Originally Posted by iacas

Look, honestly, KISS and just work on that stuff for a few weeks. Seriously.

Then clean up your knee action.

Best advice I've seen so far! :D

"a very high penetrating ball flight."

What does this mean to you?  A flat flight with minimal ballooning, but reaching a high apex?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by Apotheosis

Here is the perfect video your you my friend.  This is exactly what you need to not hump the goat.  Enjoy!

Beachcomber swing looks pretty good , but I'm no analyst haha.

I was wondering what your overall thoughts where on this instructional/drill video, and how it worked out for you. It looks like a great vid, and I'm working on trying to get my weight and hips forward but wasn't sure how to do it. This should help me out.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

Beachcomber swing looks pretty good , but I'm no analyst haha.

I was wondering what your overall thoughts where on this instructional/drill video, and how it worked out for you. It looks like a great vid, and I'm working on trying to get my weight and hips forward but wasn't sure how to do it. This should help me out.

I think that video is great, was actually the one that got my hips and legs to work better. The only thing I would like to add is at 2:13 when he says connect, it is with the left knee flexing and turning not straightening, the left foot needs to be pointed towards the target a bit to achieve this.