IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Swing is getting better...  With this improved swing pattern that I'm working on... I feel like it is very, very limited right arm action.  More torso and hips.

One problem that I have is that when I'm hitting the ball off of the mats... I feel like I'm getting steep at times and can feel the club kind of crash into the mat.  I haven't hit off of grass yet with this modified swing... But from the mats, it feels steep.  Any comments/suggestions on how to maintain low point with a centered pivot and shallow out my AoA?

I also need to work on my grip pressure and lever action... I know my grip pressure is probably too strong.  A swing thought I'm trying to ingrain is to get more Duffner.  But it is hard because I get to the top and it's almost like I panic.  And then try and accelerate the club as fast as I can through the ball.  My tempo needs a lot of work.... Maybe if I worked on my finish pose/posture - it would clean some of that tempo up?

Fun times!

More turn allows the arm and elbow pieces room to load and unload.  So less "panic".  Keep it up, attach those right arm pressure points in front of the lat at A2 and crank up the turn.  Feel like the turn takes 5 seconds longer.  Like Erik said this will keep the right elbow from lifting and bending.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
One problem that I have is that when I'm hitting the ball off of the mats... I feel like I'm getting steep at times and can feel the club kind of crash into the mat.  I haven't hit off of grass yet with this modified swing... But from the mats, it feels steep.  Any comments/suggestions on how to maintain low point with a centered pivot and shallow out my AoA?

a) when hitting off mats b) you FEEL like something is "steep" In other words, you don't know for sure. And a flip is shallower than a properly inline impact, yes. :-D [quote name="Beachcomber" url="/t/54404/my-swing-beachcomber/432#post_845864"]I know my grip pressure is probably too strong.[/quote] I doubt it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

a) when hitting off mats

b) you FEEL like something is "steep"

In other words, you don't know for sure.

You're gonna make me pony up a few extra bucks to hit off the grass tonight, aren't ya?  ...

Originally Posted by iacas

And a flip is shallower than a properly inline impact, yes.

I doubt it.

My bearcat paws are pretty strong!

Originally Posted by mvmac

More turn allows the arm and elbow pieces room to load and unload.  So less "panic".  Keep it up, attach those right arm pressure points in front of the lat at A2 and crank up the turn.  Feel like the turn takes 5 seconds longer.  Like Erik said this will keep the right elbow from lifting and bending.

GREEN: I'm building confidence in freeing up my hips/torso to increase the turn to load/unload properly.  When I do it properly, it feels amazing.  But I'm still struggling to find my low point.  Feel like I'm hitting a lot of shots thin - like a groove or two low on the clubface.  Which would explain why my ball flight is so low on those shots.

BLUE: When I SLOOOOOWW it down on both the takeaway and downswing... Really focused on a steady head - with a full turn (I actually see my left knee shift inward on the backswing)... I can flight the ball much higher and it feels like I'm making pure contact.  But the distance really isn't that great.  It's like I need to learn the proper pivot move, then build club head speed?

The pitched elbow is definitely sorting itself out with slowing down the turning rates, less right arm, and increasing the hip/torso turn.  That left knee move highlighted by Mac below really has helped me open that right hip - which ultimately gives me a nice secure lat to maintain PP5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Turning rates!?  Stupid Monkey wants more pitched elbow.  More pitched elbow is what stupid monkey wants!

Shawn, I'll say this slowly so that you can understand:

Your

slow

turning

rates

are

leading

to

your

elbow

getting

too

far

around

your

body

which

directly

inhibits

your

desire

to

get

a

pitch

elbow.

Please stop being the other kind of stupid monkey.

• Upvote 4

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mmmmmm I love me some bananas.

Too bad my freaking camera battery was dead today... I went to film and it was DOA.  Going to head back over tonight and see if I can find some improvement from my last video.

That's how we'll be doing all the Evolvr notes from now on hahaha

But seriously, see lots of good players turned 75-90 degrees by A3 and continue the stretch to A4.  When you can do that the arms have less of a "need" to lift or overflex.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

My right elbow is getting better... It's not getting stuck on my side as bad as it was this time last year.  But it's still not where I'd like it to be.. I'd like to see it reattach earlier in the down swing and get into the naval area faster.

I believe I'm losing a lot of power because my weight has already gone to my left side so early in the downswing - that is why I have that crazy looking post impact finish??  Dunno... But I hate looking at my swing on video because it looks like I'm all off balance and tipping backwards instead of standing tall and balanced.

I'm not hitting the ball all that bad.  I can definitely shoot in the mid 70's consistently with this swing.  But I'm not breaking par anytime soon with it either....

• Administrator

4:40 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvx9Ig49xMk#t=4m40s

Hmmmmm. Sounds familiar. :)

Ok point taken!  I need to watch this lesson another 50,000,000,000,000.  So many goodies covered as it relates to my swing.

• Administrator

Ok point taken!  I need to watch this lesson another 50,000,000,000,000.  So many goodies covered as it relates to my swing.

Confession: the stupid monkey post is at least 95% targeted at you.

Work on one thing diligently. Realize that you don't "have it" after two practice sessions and that you can't move on to the next thing.

I need to get a better video camera... My previous attempt was using my iPhone and the video quality is pretty crappy.  So last night I was digging around and found a flip video camera I bought several years back and it's just been laying in a drawer never being used.  I charged it up and brought it to the range with me today just to experiment.  I took a quick little video and just uploaded it to Youtube.

Obviously I had the camera way too close... But the quality of video was pretty good.  Any feedback on my feet - and or anything else you see in this short clip would be appreciated.  I'm going to go buy a little tripod for this - and next time I'll make sure I'm placing the camera much further away so you can see my full swing/body.

Since, I can't see much of your swing, at most all I can really say is your foot action looks good. I suggest buying something like this (shown below) to hold your flip camera or iPhone, if you haven't already to film your golf swing. I do a lot of filming my swing and video analysis, which is primarily how I teach myself and learn from others, so I finally ordered one.  I contacted the seller and they told me the gooseneck is around 70cm in length (which isn't listed in the product description), or a little over 2 feet. Note, that this is a cheaper product than the In-Your-Face holder ( http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-iTouch-In-Your-Face/dp/B001Q6GU7Y ) and it's neck is longer than that one too. plan to clip it onto my golf bag or stands at the range. I also see it being able to easily clip onto a golf cart for easy on the course filming.  Using something like this will allow getting different angles whether their purposeful (for practice and analysis) or just artsy for making a golf video. Hope this helps you or at least somebody else.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CAJ85YW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc;=1

*Also, I've done my research and this is the cheapest thing on Amazon for this purpose. Right now it's a little over $21, that including the shipping and handling.

Since, I can't see much of your swing, at most all I can really say is your foot action looks good. I suggest buying something like this (shown below) to hold your flip camera or iPhone, if you haven't already to film your golf swing. I do a lot of filming my swing and video analysis, which is primarily how I teach myself and learn from others, so I finally ordered one.  I contacted the seller and they told me the gooseneck is around 70cm in length (which isn't listed in the product description), or a little over 2 feet. Note, that this is a cheaper product than the In-Your-Face holder ([URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode;=ur2&camp;=1789&creative;=9325&tag;=thesandtrap-20&location;=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FFlexible-iTouch-In-Your-Face%2Fdp%2FB001Q6GU7Y]http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-iTouch-In-Your-Face/dp/B001Q6GU7Y[/URL]) and it's neck is longer than that one too. plan to clip it onto my golf bag or stands at the range. I also see it being able to easily clip onto a golf cart for easy on the course filming.  Using something like this will allow getting different angles whether their purposeful (for practice and analysis) or just artsy for making a golf video. Hope this helps you or at least somebody else. [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419jmH%2BTPQL._SY300_.jpg[/IMG] [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode;=ur2&camp;=1789&creative;=9325&tag;=thesandtrap-20&location;=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB00CAJ85YW%2Fref%3Doh_details_o00_s00_i00%3Fie%3DUTF8%26psc%3D1]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CAJ85YW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc;=1[/URL] *Also, I've done my research and this is the cheapest thing on Amazon for this purpose. Right now it's a little over $21, that including the shipping and handling.

Ummmm, spam much??? (If you found that one post you've surely passed by others that show he clearly has a tripod of some kind, and there's like 8 gajillion other videos if him showing his full swing. Dudes even got videos of his ass if you'd like!)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Ummmm, spam much??? (If you found that one post you've surely passed by others that show he clearly has a tripod of some kind, and there's like 8 gajillion other videos if him showing his full swing. Dudes even got videos of his ass if you'd like!)

I wasn't trying to spam. I scrolled down to that post and then responded to it. I guess I should've read the thread more. I just saw the first page and then realized there were 25 pages after I posted it. I was genuinely trying to help. I figured I'd just keep the post there rather than deleting it because maybe the info would help somebody.

I wasn't trying to spam. I scrolled down to that post and then responded to it. I guess I should've read the thread more. I just saw the first page and then realized there were 25 pages after I posted it. I was genuinely trying to help. I figured I'd just keep the post there rather than deleting it because maybe the info would help somebody.

Ok, fair enough. My apologies. ;)

• Administrator

PERFECT.

Ya stupid monkey.

Mike and I might just have to create a Stupid Monkey award and give it to anyone we feel is practicing properly. And then take it away when they're not.

• Upvote 2

Mike and I might just have to create a Stupid Monkey award and give it to anyone we feel is practicing properly. And then take it away when they're not.

Good idea!

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

I'm going to do it. Made the graphic already. Just waiting for a bug to be fixed so I can add the award.