IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

But I know I'm not getting the proper positions yet - as they don't feel normal.  Lots of stress on my left leg (foot) and lower back.  Felt like I was a pretzel!!

Explain exactly why you aren't fixing your posture?  Posture isn't there for looks.  It's functional.  Working on hip and leg action without fixing your posture first is like working on your fastball while sitting on an office chair.  Am I totally off-base here?  It seems like the lowest hanging fruit to me in terms of helping you achieve the motions you are trying to achieve, which will help your body out.  I fixed my posture (among other things) and went from struggling to hit a 7-iron 135 with several visits to the spine doctor to being able to hit it 200 yards with very little stress on anything other than the golf shaft.  I can't understate how important it is.  Getting posture right should be a key step between achieving keys #1 and #2.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator
Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Explain exactly why you aren't fixing your posture?  Posture isn't there for looks.  It's functional.  Working on hip and leg action without fixing your posture first is like working on your fastball while sitting on an office chair.  Am I totally off-base here?  It seems like the lowest hanging fruit to me in terms of helping you achieve the motions you are trying to achieve, which will help your body out.  I fixed my posture (among other things) and went from struggling to hit a 7-iron 135 with several visits to the spine doctor to being able to hit it 200 yards with very little stress on anything other than the golf shaft.  I can't understate how important it is.  Getting posture right should be a key step between achieving keys #1 and #2.

I would tend to agree with this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It makes sense to me too...

But when I look at my positions at address... Where am I putting myself in a vulnerable position to cause strain(s) on my lower back and left leg?

Lets focus on the back first... My stance is damn close to Grant's - minus the curvature of the spine at address.  But my physique is much different than his.  I'm not sure I can even get my back that hunched over without drooping my shoulders, sucking in my gut / stomach to push the small of my back out.

Think of it this way... It's like when I would sit in a chair as a kid - and my mother would always tell me to sit up straight at the dinner table.  In order to do so - you need to raise your shoulders and lift your chest out (this puts a small arch in your lower back).  But in golf - do I need to be that lazy kid and slouch in the chair?

I mean I can go all Caddy Shack here folks... I can be a 'tremendous slouch'! LOL

Would kind of getting that slouch eliminate the strain in the lower back?

For the rest of us, what's the "smash the bug"?  Obviously I can probably make a pretty good guess, but if someone's got a video to link to or something that would be cool...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

For the rest of us, what's the "smash the bug"?  Obviously I can probably make a pretty good guess, but if someone's got a video to link to or something that would be cool...

Go back to post #118 on page 7.  Watch the Ground Force Utilization video...

If you look at the stills from the video.  Focus on the left knee/shin/foot - you should feel weight in the front ball of your foot load as your left knee/shin shifts from inward lean (toward the right leg) to neutral (as seen in still 2) - then straightening (still 3).  If a bug was under that left foot - you'd be smashing it as it is going to bear the weight of your body.

As you continue to finish the golf swing - the load in your left foot will shift from the ball of your foot - more toward the heel/outside left edge as you finish (straighten the left leg).

But when I look at my positions at address... Where am I putting myself in a vulnerable position to cause strain(s) on my lower back and left leg?

Here for the lower back

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Lets focus on the back first... My stance is damn close to Grant's - minus the curvature of the spine at address.  But my physique is much different than his.  I'm not sure I can even get my back that hunched over without drooping my shoulders, sucking in my gut / stomach to push the small of my back out.

I would say your physique is closer to Zach Johnson or Charles Howell.  For the bold part I'd say, well said

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Think of it this way... It's like when I would sit in a chair as a kid - and my mother would always tell me to sit up straight at the dinner table.  In order to do so - you need to raise your shoulders and lift your chest out (this puts a small arch in your lower back).  But in golf - do I need to be that lazy kid and slouch in the chair?

Yeah there's good posture and good golf posture.  I'm sure you've seen this thread? http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

Getting the arch out of your lower back will help with the strain, and not having the legs bent on the followthrough.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ok... I really worked hard on my posture today.  I think I've nailed the rounded spine?  What do you guys think?

I'll add... I hit the ball better off the tee than I have in a LONG - LONG time today.  I hit 100% of my fairways... I'm loving this new swing.  I feel like I could play ALL day and not be sore.

Mmmmmm... I love making baby steps to the elevator.

First frame - posture as of 8-2-12.

Second frame - posture as of 8-5-12... Focused on getting rounded spine as shown in the models in frame 3 (Zach) and 4 (CH3).

Neck tilts huh?  Looks pretty good Shawn.  When I sent you that video or Evolvr a few months ago talking about the posterior I talked a lot about how it will help the hip turn stay more centered.  It occurred to me today that the arch in the lower back also has some contribution to the arching, palmar flexion of your left wrist.  With the "bad" posture, hips can't turn, so to feel a full turn you retract your right shoulder blade, which gets the right elbow behind and arches the wrist, gets the face looking closed at A4.

Can't see the club face on the right and the camera angle is a little different but that left wrist looks less palmar flexed on the right.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Good stuff!  Thanks for your instruction Mike!

I know that rounded spine should've been implemented weeks ago.. But it felt so strange when I first tried it... And I was hitting the ball so bad, that I was afraid to keep working on it (a month ago).  But this past week, I finally knew I needed to change something or my back was going to be screwed - after playing so much golf.  And making the changes have not only saved my back... But I'm hitting the ball better than ever now that I trust the initial strange feel at address that I get when pushing my pelvis toward the ball at address (tucking my tailbone).

Kind of a funny note... I played with a stranger today at Oak Creek... Really nice guy.  And at the end of the round, he thanked me and said he hasn't had that much fun just 'watching another golfer' swing! I'm not that good...  And I don't like to brag... But it made me smile because I know my hard work is paying off, and my swing is starting to really click.  Hitting my driver the way I did - was amazing.  And I hit nearly ever iron shot solid.  With only a few swings that were slightly off line.

Originally Posted by LSU_justin

14/14 fairways LIKE A BOSS

Nice looking swing. Love reading about the progression of your swing.

Thank you!  I was hitting my driver well.  Regularly in the 270 to 280 range today (using GPS on cart).  Not too shabby for a small guy like myself.

The curvature in the lower spine.

I'm not sure I can even get my back that hunched over without drooping my shoulders, sucking in my gut / stomach to push the small of my back out.

So do that.  You should be sucking in your gut and tucking your tailbone almost all the time regardless of what you are doing.  Isometric endurance in the abdominals (particularly transverse abs) is the key predictor of absence of back injury in athletes by numerous studies.  It's hard, and that's why people don't do it.  People likely sit down too much which shortens the hip flexors and causes lower back tightness.  Getting into the right position will probably feel awkward and even painful at first because you are stretching and relaxing the lower back muscles and they've probably been short and tight for a long time.  It's common for people like me who have desk jobs.

But in golf - do I need to be that lazy kid and slouch in the chair?

Previous point.  Not lazy.  Just engaging different and smarter muscles.

Sure.

But it felt so strange when I first tried it... And I was hitting the ball so bad, that I was afraid to keep working on it (a month ago).

So what?  That's golf.  Nice changes by the way.  Took about a week for me to feel comfortable making that posture change.  Haven't had even a twinge of back pain in several years now.  Keep the hips, glutes, and abs stretched, supple, and strong in the gym too.  Good work.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I've been working on my right leg extension... At least I thought I was making some nice progress until I saw it on video.  Looks like to me.  The strange thing is that I was hitting the ball amazingly well.  I took ~ 15 swings, hit three balls - all center hits with my 6i.  And was like - OK - I need to get this on film.  Something is clicking here.  The swing video tonight was unedited... And I only hit two shots on the video.

I couldn't believe how well the ball felt off the face tonight.  From the first swing... I was hitting it really well.

There was a slight 'fade' wind from left to right... And I was hitting the ball very high - and carrying the 6i ~ 180 to 185yds down range.  Coming just shy of the green with the blue flag which is just beyond the 200yd marker.

Then I watched the video - and felt like a schmuck.  Looks like the same crappy swing to me.

I'll add - that my feels/thoughts on these swings were:

1.) Right leg straightens at A4.

2.) Slide hips (leading with the left) toward the target.

3.) Almost let my arms/hands be dead until A5ish.

4.) Rip that right tricep and PP#3 through impact.

I couldn't get clean frames for A6/A7... But working with an iPhone4 @ 30fps... You're going to have that sometimes I guess?

Getting closer.  Get a hula hoop and put it around your shoulders.  Make practice motions keeping the axis and inclination of the circle fixed, and point it a little more down at the ball too.  Don't go crazy C-posture.  A little medicine is all it takes, as Harvey Penick used to say.  Keep the lumbar in an "engaged neutral" position.  The butt will naturally move back some as the legs bend and the chest faces the ground more at address to counterbalance.  Also, don't be married to your current club fitting.  Grip down until you can get some mechanics ingrained if need be.  Then get refit for length.  My 2 cents.

[ Equipment ]