IGNORED

Rangefinders, and Distance

camper6
Note: This thread is 4516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not disputing that Nicklaus was one of the pioneers in using yardage books on the PGA Tour. That's not exactly what you said though.

Well it certainly wasn't what you said that it sounded like an internet myth.

You had to be there.

Originally Posted by bridgeview

no doubt if you know how to use it, it will speed up your game.

Indeed it does. I use my Bushnell all the time as it eliminates one of the uncertainty parameters and helps me pick up the right club faster.

Crazy enough, my home club does not allow any distance measuring devices to be used in competitions or hcp rounds. One of the reasons is that 'it slows down the game'. Obviously these guys have never used any such device... Obsolete old farts...

Originally Posted by camper6

So how do you score in competitions without the rangefinder device?

By now you should pretty well know the distances on your home course.

I definitely hit more shots closer to pin-high with the finder.  it's an invaluable tool even on my home track.  A perfect example is when I miss the fairway and my approach is from a bad angle.   There aren't any yardage markers in the rough and most people will try and fail and 'triangulating' an accurate yardage when the approach is coming from out of position.  I used to always just make my best "kentucky windage guess" when out of position.......sometimes it worked, and many times it failed me.

Now....knowing I have exactly 128yds to carry that right greenside bunker coming from 'way right' makes a big difference.  Knowing the carry distance over various hazards from your ball position is huge too.   I've played my home course 600+ times and it still comes in very handy on layups and approaches.  ........because I often make those approaches from crazy places....LOL

When it comes to tee shots, yea...I know my course well enough to club without a finder, but I swear by it on the 'scoring shots'.. .......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...
I got a rangefinder this year. Agree they are really useful on par 3 tee shots and to avoid trouble by knowing distance to hazards.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by camper6

Buckeye:

The question I asked was how do you score in competitions without the rangefinder if they are not allowed.

Do you feel like your right arm is missing?

The USGA changed the rules on rangefinders.  Unless you're playing in an elite AM event, finders are legal in most situations.  Many big AM events even allow finders depending on local rulings.

Me...I never play in anything bigger than club-level events so they are always legal. For anyone who plays regularly, a rangefinder is worth owning if for only pace of play and convenience reasons.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

The USGA changed the rules on rangefinders.  Unless you're playing in an elite AM event, finders are legal in most situations.  Many big AM events even allow finders depending on local rulings.

Me...I never play in anything bigger than club-level events so they are always legal. For anyone who plays regularly, a rangefinder is worth owning if for only pace of play and convenience reasons.

Not by the rule as of right now they aren't. See the final sentence at the end of the rule. Rule 14-3 reads:

14-3. Artificial Devices, Unusual Equipment and Unusual Use of Equipment

The United States Golf Association (USGA) reserves the right, at any time, to change the Rules relating to artificial devices, unusual equipment and the unusual use of equipment, and make or change the interpretations relating to these Rules.

A player in doubt as to whether use of an item would constitute a breach of Rule 14-3 should consult the USGA.

A manufacturer should submit to the USGA a sample of an item to be manufactured for a ruling as to whether its use during a stipulated round would cause a player to be in breach of Rule 14-3. The sample becomes the property of the USGA for reference purposes. If a manufacturer fails to submit a sample or, having submitted a sample, fails to await a ruling before manufacturing and/or marketing the item, the manufacturer assumes the risk of a ruling that use of the item would be contrary to the Rules.

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:

a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or

b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or

c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:

(i) plain gloves may be worn;

(ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and

(iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

Exceptions:

1. A player is not in breach of this Rule if (a) the equipment or device is designed for or has the effect of alleviating a medical condition, (b) the player has a legitimate medical reason to use the equipment or device, and (c) the Committee is satisfied that its use does not give the player any undue advantage over other players.

2. A player is not in breach of this Rule if he uses equipment in a traditionally accepted manner.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 14-3: Disqualification.

Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only.

Use of electronic measuring devices is only allowed if the course or committee institutes the local rule allowing their use.  Decision 14-3/0.5 further reinforces the rule:

14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device

Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices?

A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only (see the Note to Rule 14-3). However, the use of a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g., gradient, wind speed, temperature, etc.) is not permitted regardless of whether such an additional function is used.

In the absence of such a Local Rule, the use of a distance-measuring device would be contrary to Rule 14-3.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started playing golf late in life and most courses at that time had 200, 150 & 100 yard markers along the fairway.  A few courses had yardages marked on sprinkler heads.  Even less but some of the more expensive/exclusive courses had a DME (distance measuring equipment) systems with displays on the carts.  These looked a lot like the GPS displays of today.  But there was no GPS (for golf) at the time (CIRCA mid 1980s).  I don't recall the yardages books that are now for sale at many courses (these days for souvenirs I think) but they might have been there and I just didn't notice.   I personally use a GPS and believes it allows me to play a little faster than other wise.  I'm not walking around looking for markers and pacing off distances.  But it seems that for some it actually slows the game as they spend an inordinate amount of time "messing" with the machine for whatever reason.

Butch

I bought one last year after a long 12 year lay off.  I would never be without one now, takes all the guess work out of club selection.  Best features are how far to carry obstacles, and exact yardage to pin placements

• 2 weeks later...

For me as a new golfer, I have used my Bushnell laser to accurately determine the distance I hit each of my irons at the practice field (now that I'm working on proper divots, it's like I'm starting over with yardages, but the laser really helps).     I do use it often on the course, but only for 200 yds and in.      Much farther out than that and I have a hard time keeping it steady enough to get a reading (don't need to read any farther out than that anyways, as I'll be laying up & wedging it in).      Great tool ... just keep an extra battery in the bag

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a GPS and I only use it on approach shots under 200 yards and when I want to see how far my drives went. It helps a lot when I'm trying to decide whether I need a 5, 6 or 7 iron on an approach. Usually if I'm facing a shot that's longer than 200y, I'll pull the 9-wood or the 4-hyrbid out and and pray to Vishnu for a straight shot. It's helped me nail down exactly how far I hit the mid-irons on a full swing. When I'm in wedge range I just go by feel. Yardage markers definitely help a lot and if I didn't have this GPS I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Should be easy to find, so how about link?!?

Here's the link, and it wasn't Jack Nicklaus:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/myshot_gd0506?currentPage=1

See the paragraph that begins, I knew Ben Hogan . . .

According to someone who claims to have invented the practice, Nicklaus wasn't the first. But Fleck also hints at Nicklaus being the reason people took notice of the practice.

I like this quote best though:

Avoid talking about the golf swing. "When you discover something that works, keep it to yourself. Discussing swing mechanics is very bad for your game. It introduces too many ideas and diminishes the power of the things that really work. The people who play golf best are the ones who discuss swing theory the least."

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think they are very useful in learning how far I actually hit the ball, particularly wedges.  If I see a 150 stick and I'm 10 yards back, that is good enough for my skill level.  But when I get into my strength I can dial it in.  Then if I hit a really quality shot I know that is what a 78 yards wedge shot felt like in those particular conditions.  Outside of 140, I'm just trying to get around the green.

And fourputt, every local event I've looked at all let you use a range finder.  I haven't seen one that it was banned that I could ever dream of playing in.

Brian

Probably the most beneficial game improvement thing I did was pay attention to yardage. I stopped guessing and started pulling the "right" club for the distance I was at. If your a 90's golfer and want to be an 80's golfer, learn how far you hit each club and then pay attention to where you are on the course. Now I use a Garmin G5 gps and know which club to pull for every shot.

Steve

Note: This thread is 4516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!