IGNORED

Mickelson & Harmon: What do you think?

PalmIII
Note: This thread is 6204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First of all, it has to be a huge slap in the face to Rick Smith, who has been Mickelson's instructor for what seems like forever. Conversely, Smith has made a lot of money trading on his association with Lefty. For example, Smith has an endorsement deal with Ford. That certainly would not have happened if he had not been with Lefty.

However, they are more than coach/player. Mickelson and Smith are real good friends, not to mention business partners in some deals. Also, I attend the Masters every year, and I tend to follow Mickelson, whilst sneaking a peak at Amy every now and then. Smith's wife seems to always be in tow at the ANGC, along with Smith and Lefty's parents. I have always wondered if Mickelson's dad owns that golf binocular company, or a % of it, that he advertises on his hat every day he is out on the course. It would seem logical.

At any rate, I think this is a great move for Lefty, because you know that Harmon wants a pupil that can dethrone, if only temporarily, Tiger as the best in the world. And, it will not be Adam Scott.

First of all, it has to be a huge slap in the face to Rick Smith, who has been Mickelson's instructor for what seems like forever. Conversely, Smith has made a lot of money trading on his association with Lefty. For example, Smith has an endorsement deal with Ford. That certainly would not have happened if he had not been with Lefty.

I'm sure it is a difficult situation for Smith and Mickelson but Mick has done what he felt he needed to. Maybe Mickelson's desire to win majors has finally trumped his need to swing for the fences and "do it my way."

I have to think that it's somewhat a psychological decision because the Mickelson-Smith partnership has produced three majors prior to Winged Foot.
However, they are more than coach/player. Mickelson and Smith are real good friends, not to mention business partners in some deals. Also, I attend the Masters every year, and I tend to follow Mickelson, whilst sneaking a peak at Amy every now and then. Smith's wife seems to always be in tow at the ANGC, along with Smith and Lefty's parents. I have always wondered if Mickelson's dad owns that golf binocular company, or a % of it, that he advertises on his hat every day he is out on the course. It would seem logical.

Maybe their good relationship off the course will make the transition better. There is still some question whether Phil will stick with Harmon long-term.

At any rate, I think this is a great move for Lefty, because you know that Harmon wants a pupil that can dethrone, if only temporarily, Tiger as the best in the world. And, it will not be Adam Scott.

Dethroning Tiger as the best player in the world is a bit far-fetched at this point. Tiger is at 20.16 and Phil at 7.22 currently. That is a huge gulf to cross. I'm thinking Phil wants to take Tiger down head to head in at least one event and it would be better if it were at a major. That is one tall order.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not necessarily taking over the official rankings as #1, but be the man.

As you said, Tiger has a commanding lead, but if Mickelson could string a couple of years together where he won more majors than Tiger, maybe win a couple of money titles, then I think he would be considered on par with Tiger, or even better, in the short term. Obviously Phil is not going to match Tiger's overall accomplishments, which he said himself.

But, I feel confident that Butch wants to take Tiger and Haney down if at all possible. I mean, this might become personal for Harmon, which could be great for Mickelson.

"if Mickelson could string a couple of years together where he won more majors than Tiger, maybe win a couple of money titles, then I think he would be considered on par with Tiger".......................thats a joke right?

Its unlikely but I could see Phil taking over the #1 world ranking for a short period of time. Phil could possibly have a few great seasons (5 + victories, including 2 majors) but lets be realistic, for that to happen Tiger would have to struggle with 1 or 2 a year and no majors. Who knows, if Tiger's driver continues to give him issues and Harmon and Phil click..

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Precisely, ClubSwinger.

And, I am not even going that far. Again, were Mickelson to have a 3 or 4 year run where he won more majors than Tiger, where he won a couple of money titles, it would be a rational argument to make that, FOR THAT PERIOD, Mickelson would be better than Tiger.

Mstuk, there was a period in the late 70s, early 80s, where Tom Watson supplanted Jack Nicklaus as the best player in the world. If you look at it from their overall body of work, of course Nicklaus was better. And, that scenario is not exactly the same, because Nicklaus was on his way down and Tiger could certainly retake Phil for status of best player in the world AT THAT MOMENT, I believe Jack won the '80 PGA and the '81 US Open, probably wrong about the years, but Watson, overall DURING THAT 5 year period or so, was the best in the world.

Let me make it clearer for you. I am saying starting over, from say 2008 until 2011, if Mickelson had a better run than Tiger, over that 4 year period he would be the better golfer, and in all probability, the best golfer in the world.

And, I believe that is what Phil is shooting for.

But, NOBODY is saying that Phil can ever overtake Tiger, OVERALL. Merely, for a 3 or 4 year span.

• Administrator

I don't think Harmon gives a rat's ass about dethroning Tiger and Hank. He's a teacher, and I think he cares about helping his students play better golf. What they do with an improved golf swing is up to them, and largely out of his control.

Phil needs to shorten his backswing and rely less on timing. Dave Pelz comfortably has his short game down, but Phil's driving is wretched, and anything with a full swing needs work. 30 degrees past parallel, lifting the right heel on the backswing, etc. are unnecessary, wasted moves that disrupt the natural timing of the golf swing. Rick may be too close a friend to Phil to tell him the hard truth: he's got to change to improve. I respect Phil for making what had to be a hard choice, as Rick Smith - as a family friend AND a coach - always seemed a bit too "yes man" for me. Phil is subjecting himself to changes that may be bad in the short term and to a guy who is as gruff as anyone in the business in order to improve. That's admirable, and is perhaps something he learned from Tiger himself: taking a step back to take two steps forward. When you choice of coaches is limited to Hank Haney, Butch Harmon, Peter Kostis, David Leadbetter, and... who else, it's not like there's much choice. So I don't read anything into him choosing Harmon, either. He's not a Leadbetter or even a Haney type player, and Butch has had success working with students on the PGA Tour (Tiger, Adam Scott) as well as students with unusual swings (Gulbis). Phil says we'll see a new swing this week. I don't know about you but I'm interested to see it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, I'm sure that was a tough decision for him to make. I dunno... it's hard to imagine Phil not being the old Phil but we'll see. I'm real interested to see his "new swing" this week too. I can't imagine him playing well but maybe this is more psychological than anything else. Also, I totally agree that Rick Smith may have been too good of a friend to be his instructor. Maybe he just needs someone to tell him what's up with no BS.

Let's not forget here though... Phil was the man. And it wasn't even that long ago (although it sure seems it). Through 3 rounds of the US Open he was well on his way to win a third straight major and had already won twice (Masters & Bellsouth) in what some say dominating fashion. He was the man. Rick Smith might be one cut driver away from still being Mickelson's instructor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Phil worked with Harmon a bit recently? That right there would make him the logical choice so I don't think it's a me vs Tiger thing either.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Phil needs to shorten his backswing and rely less on timing. Dave Pelz comfortably has his short game down, but Phil's driving is wretched, and anything with a full swing needs work. 30 degrees past parallel, lifting the right heel on the backswing, etc. are unnecessary, wasted moves that disrupt the natural timing of the golf swing.

Here's a question for ya.....will he still have help from Pelz or is that gone too?

What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

^ I was watching the golf channel last night and in a statement Butch said.. he is helping Phil and has infact been practising with him. He made it clear that Adam Scott is still his priority. So yes I believe they're still working together.. also considering Dave Pelz is short game, Butch long.

I don't think Harmon gives a rat's ass about dethroning Tiger and Hank. He's a teacher, and I think he cares about helping his students play better golf. What they do with an improved golf swing is up to them, and largely out of his control.

Actually in Harmon's statement on the GC last night he said thats exactly what he/they intend to do. Stating "It will be tough but Phil has the talent to catch Tiger, and thats what we're working towards" sounds like they will infact be working on finding more fairways with the driver.

If Phil does infact shorten his swing as you've suggested and possibly work on getting more down the line at the top, on a flatter plain as Butch works on with Adam Scott. Perhaps quieting down the legs aswell. It will be interesting to see if he sacrifices some of that all out, swing as long and hard as you can power for accuracy.

904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2

So did anyone see Phil today on the GC? I was at work then made a trip to the range but I'm curious if his swing did indeed look any different.

It looks like he's trying to tighten things up. I noticed a few driver/wood swings were slightly shorter, alot of 3 quarter swings with his irons. Really nothing that significant.

904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2

• Administrator
It looks like he's trying to tighten things up. I noticed a few driver/wood swings were slightly shorter, alot of 3 quarter swings with his irons. Really nothing that significant.

Phil's 3/4 swing is everyone else's full swing.

He has bad back nines. It's almost like he practices with Butch on the range, takes it to the course, plays well, but slowly slips back into his "old" swing and then scores poorly again. Thursday when he was on TV you could almost watch him slowly slip back into a longer, looser swing. He started out bulleting every fairway, and then at the end he was missing wildly again.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Phil's 3/4 swing is everyone else's full swing.

Isn't that the truth. I imagine as he gets into the round it will be more difficult for him to keep the same controlled swing he started with. Not only is the instruction fresh on the first tee but as his body and muscles get more work I would think the tendancy would be to get longer with the swing. I didn't get a chance to see him but saw his scores online... looks as if he got off to a great start on Thursday (I think -3 through 7 holes) and then lost a few on the back.

Did anyone see the analysis by I think Peter Kostis on TV this weekend. His take was that Butch is trying to work on Phil's lower body stability by keeping his back leg from straightening. He stated that the extra resistance would keep the overly long backswing in check and prevent the narrowing of the downswing which leads to Phil to using his arms to re establish his width and requires great timing.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

He could choose Jim Mclean?

Phil did see Butch a while back - and it sort of - didn't work out. Butch said as Phil wants to do is hit it as far as he can - not interested enough in control. Evidently, this has changed.

How many of us have made a swing change and had it working two weeks later?

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Both Tiger and Greg Norman were longer hitters before they worked with Butch. He shortened them up so they could find the fairway, and he took both players to #1 in the world. I have no doubt that if Phil is willing to listen and learn, that his game will benefit. Butch won't be soft with his analysis, and Phil may not like it, but the guy has a track record of success.

I think it's a tall order for him to catch Tiger in the rankings. Mathematically it seems nearly impossible.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

• 2 weeks later...
The key is not so much Mickelson winning, but where he won. The Players, as Miller referenced yesterday, is not the typical Mickelson style tournament, as it is all about position golf.

I think Butch will help Mickelson a great deal in the upcoming, and future, US Opens.

If Mickelson can learn to keep the ball down in the wind, something Tiger obviously can do, or he can get a tame weather week, Mickelson could easily complete the career Grand Slam in the next 3-4 years.

Note: This thread is 6204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!