IGNORED

Take-away at beginning of swing.

Cabrisses
Note: This thread is 4529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Question. I'm confused on my take away. When I first started playing golf, I learned (I think) that I should first move my arms into my upswing/away from my body, then rotate my hips. A few months ago, I started my upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time on the takeaway. Doing both of these showed different results. However, my memory is hazy on how each shot turns out, on a different swing. I play golf to much..

So.

Should I start my swing/take away with moving my arms away from my body in my upswing (about halfway until my wrists hinge at 90*), then turn my hips?

Or

Should I start my takeaway/upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time?

All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Originally Posted by Cabrisses

Question. I'm confused on my take away. When I first started playing golf, I learned (I think) that I should first move my arms into my upswing/away from my body, then rotate my hips. A few months ago, I started my upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time on the takeaway. Doing both of these showed different results. However, my memory is hazy on how each shot turns out, on a different swing. I play golf to much..

So.

Should I start my swing/take away with moving my arms away from my body in my upswing (about halfway until my wrists hinge at 90*), then turn my hips?

Or

Should I start my takeaway/upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time?

All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Don't start your swing by lifting your arms away from your body and then later turning your hips.

I would practice with a towel across your chest under your arms to help you with your takeaway.

While the towel is under your arms try to maintain slight pressure under your arms

If you lift the club away like you first suggested then the towel will come loose

• Upvote 1

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

"Or

Should I start my takeaway/upswing with my arms and hips moving/rotating at the same time?"

This is close. I learned it this way. Arms somewhat static until club becomes parallel to the ground. The turn begins with the shoulders and is centered about the waist. This action pulls the hips around. The wrists cock and the club is then parallel to the ground. From there simply lift the lead arm up and under the chin. This will/should promote additional shoulder/waist/hip turning. Your at the top position should be shoulders at 90 degrees with the lead arm in line with the inclined shoulder angle. FWIW my typical drill.

Ping I15 Driver, Ping i20 3 Wood & i20 Hybrid 3 Iron
Mizuno MP60 4-PW Irons
Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56 & 60 Degree Wedges
Odyssey Black Putter

I need to work on this...I cock my wrists far too early.

Anyone know if this causes any repeatable issue?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

What makes you think that you hinge your wrists too early?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Originally Posted by Quinn07

What makes you think that you hinge your wrists too early?

I've seen it in my swing videos and people tell me all the time - only with my driver for some reason

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

who tells you, Pros? or just friends, because if its the 2nd they probably know nothing.

As for the take away, depends on were the club is at top. If the club is in a good position, i could care less if you hinge right from the start or if you wait to the last second, doesn't really matter.

As for the start of he swing, what i feel will be different, but i like to just rotate the shoulders, keeping connected and just making sure my hands go up. Its tough to explain, i know what i am doing, thats whats tough answering this question with you seeing your swing on video. Because its unique to you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most pros teach what is known as a, "one piece takeaway" in that everything moves together.  The towel drill is a good one to help you stay connected.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Another helpful drill is to play a board (a 2 x 4 is fine) behind the clubhead and try to push the clubhead back as you initiate the swing.  If you get too wristy you wont be able to push the board back but if you stay connected you will push the board back a few inches.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

My father does that actually. I've tried it before.. I'm always experimenting with my swing. I've noticed that I usually get more height on my short irons.

I have been practicing not thinking about my arms at all.  I worry about my shoulder turn and firing through with my hips.  I have never been a consistent ball striker, but since adopting this approach a have been making solid contact at a higher percentage.  Really if you think about it, your arms if relaxed and loose should come along for the ride if you make the correct turn keeping you on plane.  Of course since it is the golf swing there are probably a 1000 reasons why I am wrong. LOL

I've seen it in my swing videos and people tell me all the time - only with my driver for some reason

Put this together to help understand what may be going on.  Also how I like to feel the takeaway

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

? for you Mike,

How quickly should the right arm start bending on the backswing?

Does the right arm bend and arms start moving to the right, then the left shoulders starts kicking down.

I am trying to figure out why using a steeper shoulder turn the hand path is taking a "slightly" out path before starting its elevation to the top.

Originally Posted by gmbtempe

? for you Mike,

How quickly should the right arm start bending on the backswing?

Does the right arm bend and arms start moving to the right, then the left shoulders starts kicking down.

I am trying to figure out why using a steeper shoulder turn the hand path is taking a "slightly" out path before starting its elevation to the top.

Right arm basically starts bending immediately.  Might be very slight from P1 -P1.5 but it is bending.  It's also part of the ascending piece.  I don't even think about, right shoulder cranks up as I keep my pressure points.  If the hand path is out you might be loading the arm too fast too soon.  Feel like the space between your elbows doesn't change from P1-3, see how that changes the picture.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Originally Posted by mvmac

Right arm basically starts bending immediately.  Might be very slight from P1 -P1.5 but it is bending.  It's also part of the ascending piece.  I don't even think about, right shoulder cranks up as I keep my pressure points.  If the hand path is out you might be loading the arm too fast too soon.  Feel like the space between your elbows doesn't change from P1-3, see how that changes the picture.

When it doesn't bend right away (like in my swing), it can cause problems in the transition. My right arm will have a tendency to over-flex late (poor extensor action) because it's trying to "catch up" with the rest of the backswing, and invariably "over-shoots" the target so to speak.

I'm working on feeling a right forearm fanning motion (which helps to keep the elbow a bit more in front of me as well) which mostly just helps with the right elbow bending.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!